1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

A/C doesn't work....then does.

Discussion in 'Technical Chat' started by BlackBuzzard, May 8, 2014.

1. May 8, 2014 at 4:04 PM
    BlackBuzzard

BlackBuzzard [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    PA
    Vehicle:
    2008 4x4 double cab
    Topper Air Bag suspension rear
    2008 V6 double cab TRD:

Air does not blow cold going down highway today (80F) no matter what fan speed or defrost......so I give up and roll down window.

Later same day in parking lot, I try it again and it almost instantly blows nice and cold, and still works find in driveway tonight.

Any thoughts as to why AC just would not come on?

Any history out there of some electrical issue that may cause its intermittent function?

All feedback appreciated.

BB

2. May 8, 2014 at 4:56 PM
    Tacoma Mike

Tacoma Mike 48 Year Chrysler/Toyota/ASE/ Master Tech.RETIRED

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Southern Maine
    Vehicle:
    2011 Double Cab V6 1995 Bass Tracker
    Large Storage Box, 02610 intermittent switch swap, "Hot Wire" Power Outlets, DRL Shut Off, Disable Fob Beep, Disable Seat Belt Buzzers, Parking Light Mod, Battery Tender, 4 Leaf Spring Pack, Rear Headrest Removal, Factory Tow Package (7 Pin) Rear Diff Mod, Taco Lean Mod, 2WD Low ECU.
    When the ac does not work, does the ac light blink?
    Also, when it blows hot you need to open the hood and see if the ac compressor is turning. Not the pulley, the very end of the unit is turning also.

3. May 8, 2014 at 5:11 PM
    BlackBuzzard

BlackBuzzard [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    PA
    Vehicle:
    2008 4x4 double cab
    Topper Air Bag suspension rear
    Light did not blink in cab...it stayed on when blowing hot. And it stayed on when when it blew cold later on when problem disappeared.

Have not checked to see if compressor engages when it blows hot as the problem has vanished for the moment.

But, obviously, in the driveway when it blows cold the cab light comes on and I hear the compressor come on. And hear it switch off when I switch it off in cab.

Its intermittent which makes me want to start checking wire harness connectors etc.

BB

4. May 8, 2014 at 5:21 PM
    Tacoma Mike

Tacoma Mike 48 Year Chrysler/Toyota/ASE/ Master Tech.RETIRED

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Southern Maine
    Vehicle:
    2011 Double Cab V6 1995 Bass Tracker
    Large Storage Box, 02610 intermittent switch swap, "Hot Wire" Power Outlets, DRL Shut Off, Disable Fob Beep, Disable Seat Belt Buzzers, Parking Light Mod, Battery Tender, 4 Leaf Spring Pack, Rear Headrest Removal, Factory Tow Package (7 Pin) Rear Diff Mod, Taco Lean Mod, 2WD Low ECU.
    You need to check the condition of the ac compressor while blowing warm and get back to us.

5. Feb 2, 2015 at 5:31 PM
    B R

B R Active Member

Member:
    Los Angeles, CA
    Vehicle:
    '10 AC 4 Banger Auto
    Same problem happened to me today, very strange. I've never had the air not work properly until today. I was on the freeway, decided to turn air on, but it just kept blowing warm air, no matter what I did to the controls (well it did blow hot when I cranked the temp over to that end). I gave up, drove about 30 mins later (without having shut down) pushed the a/c button on again & then it started working again fine. Go figure.

Now I'll be paranoid about it not working again on a random basis. I don't think it's as simple as a wonky switch, because I was messing with all of them a lot when the problem first happened.

6. Feb 3, 2015 at 5:28 AM
    Lurkin

Lurkin Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rod
    Pearland, TX
    Vehicle:
    09 PreRunner SR5 DC
    If you haven't used the AC in a while, cold climate or somesuch, it may just take a cycle or two to get the system and seals doing what they need to do. I would also check the freon pressures to ensure you have adequate charge.

7. Aug 30, 2018 at 4:59 PM
    DesertRatliff

DesertRatliff Well-Known Member

Member:
    Mt. Hood, OR
    Vehicle:
    Mas Tacos Por Favor
    Any word on this? Reviving the thread as I'm having the very same problem on my 2014. A/C works, doesn't work, works, doesn't work regardless of fan speed, etc. No blinking lights but I haven't pulled over to see if the compressor is kicked on but will do so next time.

Products Discussed in

To Top