Delta00's 2002 Tacoma 4WD

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Technical Chat

Notices

A/C doesn't work....then does.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-08-2014, 04:04 PM   #1
Junior Member
BlackBuzzard is on a distinguished road
Joined: Aug 2013, #111379
Location: PA
Gender: Male
Posts: 12
BlackBuzzard's Tacoma Gallery
A/C doesn't work....then does.

2008 V6 double cab TRD:

Air does not blow cold going down highway today (80F) no matter what fan speed or defrost......so I give up and roll down window.

Later same day in parking lot, I try it again and it almost instantly blows nice and cold, and still works find in driveway tonight.

Any thoughts as to why AC just would not come on?

Any history out there of some electrical issue that may cause its intermittent function?


All feedback appreciated.


BB
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 04:56 PM   #2
41 Year Toyota/Chrysler Tech/ASE Master
Tacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shed
 
Tacoma Mike's Avatar
Name: Mike
Joined: Aug 2011, #61230
Location: Southern Maine
Gender: Male
Posts: 3,386
Tacoma Mike's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackBuzzard View Post
2008 V6 double cab TRD:

Air does not blow cold going down highway today (80F) no matter what fan speed or defrost......so I give up and roll down window.

Later same day in parking lot, I try it again and it almost instantly blows nice and cold, and still works find in driveway tonight.

Any thoughts as to why AC just would not come on?

Any history out there of some electrical issue that may cause its intermittent function?


All feedback appreciated.


BB
When the ac does not work, does the ac light blink?
Also, when it blows hot you need to open the hood and see if the ac compressor is turning. Not the pulley, the very end of the unit is turning also.
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 05:11 PM   #3
Junior Member
BlackBuzzard is on a distinguished road
Joined: Aug 2013, #111379
Location: PA
Gender: Male
Posts: 12
BlackBuzzard's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacoma Mike View Post
When the ac does not work, does the ac light blink?
Also, when it blows hot you need to open the hood and see if the ac compressor is turning. Not the pulley, the very end of the unit is turning also.
Light did not blink in cab...it stayed on when blowing hot. And it stayed on when when it blew cold later on when problem disappeared.

Have not checked to see if compressor engages when it blows hot as the problem has vanished for the moment.

But, obviously, in the driveway when it blows cold the cab light comes on and I hear the compressor come on. And hear it switch off when I switch it off in cab.

Its intermittent which makes me want to start checking wire harness connectors etc.



BB
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 05:21 PM   #4
41 Year Toyota/Chrysler Tech/ASE Master
Tacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shed
 
Tacoma Mike's Avatar
Name: Mike
Joined: Aug 2011, #61230
Location: Southern Maine
Gender: Male
Posts: 3,386
Tacoma Mike's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackBuzzard View Post
Light did not blink in cab...it stayed on when blowing hot. And it stayed on when when it blew cold later on when problem disappeared.

Have not checked to see if compressor engages when it blows hot as the problem has vanished for the moment.

But, obviously, in the driveway when it blows cold the cab light comes on and I hear the compressor come on. And hear it switch off when I switch it off in cab.

Its intermittent which makes me want to start checking wire harness connectors etc.


BB
You need to check the condition of the ac compressor while blowing warm and get back to us.
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 05:31 PM   #5
B R B R is offline
Member
B R is a glorious beacon of lightB R is a glorious beacon of lightB R is a glorious beacon of lightB R is a glorious beacon of lightB R is a glorious beacon of light
Joined: Feb 2011, #51859
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Gender: Male
Posts: 35
B R's Tacoma Gallery
Same problem happened to me today, very strange. I've never had the air not work properly until today. I was on the freeway, decided to turn air on, but it just kept blowing warm air, no matter what I did to the controls (well it did blow hot when I cranked the temp over to that end). I gave up, drove about 30 mins later (without having shut down) pushed the a/c button on again & then it started working again fine. Go figure.

Now I'll be paranoid about it not working again on a random basis. I don't think it's as simple as a wonky switch, because I was messing with all of them a lot when the problem first happened.
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 05:28 AM   #6
Senior Member
Lurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Rod
Joined: May 2009, #17497
Location: Pearland, TX
Gender: Male
Posts: 4,063
Lurkin's Tacoma Gallery
If you haven't used the AC in a while, cold climate or somesuch, it may just take a cycle or two to get the system and seals doing what they need to do. I would also check the freon pressures to ensure you have adequate charge.
  Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
A/C Doesn't Work s810 2nd Gen. Tacomas 11 08-08-2012 07:32 PM
Defroster doesn't work rusty55125 Technical Chat 0 07-20-2011 07:11 AM
Doesn't anyone work?? georgeandkanoa Off-Topic Discussion 33 05-24-2011 11:44 AM
Horn doesn't work Bdiddy11 1st Gen. Tacomas 25 09-22-2010 12:33 PM
A/C doesn't work... tmantstud 1st Gen. Tacomas 0 07-08-2008 11:48 AM


Copyright © 2015 Tacoma Forum. Tacoma World is not owned by, or affiliated with Toyota Motor Corporation.