Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Technical Chat

Notices

truck won't start

Old 10-08-2007, 12:47 PM   #1
knifeyspoony is on a distinguished road
knifeyspoony's Tacoma Gallery
truck won't start

I can't get my truck to start. when i turn the ignition i get nothing but a few weak display lights. i checked the battery its ok. the interior lights are very dim and the auto locks won't even respond to the remote anymore. i've cleaned the terminals to the battery. I'm no mechanic, does anyone have any idea whats wrong?

thanks
Old 10-08-2007, 01:51 PM   #2
Sooooooper Moderator
jhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: former TSgt/E6, 3D172, Cyber Transport, NC Air Guard and prior AD
Name: Jamie
jhodge83's Tacoma Gallery
there is a "no start" TSB i think....if its still under warranty, i'd be callin that dealer
Old 10-08-2007, 03:32 PM   #3
bite me
humanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shed

humanoid's Tacoma Gallery
1) fill out your profile so we don't have to constantly ask you what year Taco you have.

2) how did you check your battery? If lights are dim, I'll bet my left nut it's a bad battery. A new battery will run you $50 at the very least. When was the last time the battery was changed?
Old 10-08-2007, 03:55 PM   #4
Born to Ride
TheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chicky Baby
TheMaster's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by knifeyspoony View Post
when i turn the ignition i get nothing but a few weak display lights. i checked the battery its ok.
As "humanoid" states, its a bad battery/cell or a poor terminal connection. Tighten the terminal clamps and clean and sand the inside of the clamps too. Check your battery under load (when you are attempting to crank) Why dont you try a boost to eliminate all doubt.
Old 10-08-2007, 03:55 PM   #5
Sooooooper Moderator
jhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: former TSgt/E6, 3D172, Cyber Transport, NC Air Guard and prior AD
Name: Jamie
jhodge83's Tacoma Gallery
its an 05. i remembered his post in the new member section.. have u tried jumping it?
Old 10-10-2007, 06:13 PM   #6
Carolina Alliance: Golden State Division
GMG3 is on a distinguished road

Army:
GMG3's Tacoma Gallery
You're showing the classic signs of a nearly dead battery. You say it's ok, but...JHodge and TheMaster have it right, eliminate the battery first. Either throw in a different battery you know is good, or jump it from either a charger or another vehicle. No location shows for you, but if you're in a cold weather area, remember that batteries don't like cold weather.

If you can firmly remove the battery from the suspect list, then contact a dealer or a good mechanic you trust. Good luck.

Oh yeah, if it is a bad battery, once you replace it, have your alternator checked just in case.
Old 10-10-2007, 06:35 PM   #7
Carolina Alliance: Lead, follow, or get the hell outta my way
tacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Will
tacomaman06's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by GMG3 View Post
You're showing the classic signs of a nearly dead battery. You say it's ok, but...JHodge and TheMaster have it right, eliminate the battery first. Either throw in a different battery you know is good, or jump it from either a charger or another vehicle. No location shows for you, but if you're in a cold weather area, remember that batteries don't like cold weather.

If you can firmly remove the battery from the suspect list, then contact a dealer or a good mechanic you trust. Good luck.

Oh yeah, if it is a bad battery, once you replace it, have your alternator checked just in case.

and whan you do this, go to thew dealer and have them do the tsb for the extended cranking/no start tsb. it will make a big difference for you.