Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Technical Chat

Notices

Drifting to the left..Why?

Old 05-28-2014, 12:18 PM   #1
Monkey Tamer
Snookie is just really niceSnookie is just really niceSnookie is just really niceSnookie is just really nice

Name: Snookie
Snookie's Tacoma Gallery
Drifting to the left..Why?

Hello

Just purchased a 2014 Tacoma Texas Edition and I find that when I let go of the steering wheel it seems to drift to the left.

Seems like I have to fight the steering wheel most of the time on a flat roadway....Why?

Anyone experience this type of issue?

Got almost 1,000 miles on it and it's been like that from the get go!

Should I wait till first service which may be September or call service dept immediately?

Thanks
Old 05-28-2014, 12:22 PM   #2
Cornfed
95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: jake
95 taco's Tacoma Gallery
You have an alignment issue.
Old 05-28-2014, 12:24 PM   #3
Monkey Tamer
Snookie is just really niceSnookie is just really niceSnookie is just really niceSnookie is just really nice

Snookie's Tacoma Gallery
So should I give service dept a call and get it in to them?

I don't drive it much usually one a week!
Old 05-28-2014, 12:32 PM   #4
If it can't be overdone it's not worth doing
SMKYTXN is one of the sharper tools in the shedSMKYTXN is one of the sharper tools in the shedSMKYTXN is one of the sharper tools in the shedSMKYTXN is one of the sharper tools in the shedSMKYTXN is one of the sharper tools in the shedSMKYTXN is one of the sharper tools in the shedSMKYTXN is one of the sharper tools in the shedSMKYTXN is one of the sharper tools in the shedSMKYTXN is one of the sharper tools in the shedSMKYTXN is one of the sharper tools in the shedSMKYTXN is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Nathan
SMKYTXN's Tacoma Gallery
It's either the alignment or tire pressure. If the pressure in the passenger side front tire is higher you'll get a pull to the left.

Take it to your local tire/alignment shop and get it aligned, but check your tire pressure first.
Old 05-28-2014, 12:33 PM   #5
Boerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: (South Africa) Mechanized Infantry. 1 SAI Btn
Name: Ferdie
Boerseun's Tacoma Gallery
Yes, let them know so they can adjust it sooner than later. It might cause uneven tire wear if not corrected.
Old 05-28-2014, 12:34 PM   #6
Large Breast Enthusiast
GEORGE STRAIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedGEORGE STRAIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedGEORGE STRAIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedGEORGE STRAIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedGEORGE STRAIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedGEORGE STRAIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedGEORGE STRAIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedGEORGE STRAIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedGEORGE STRAIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedGEORGE STRAIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedGEORGE STRAIT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
GEORGE STRAIT's Tacoma Gallery
It's the mainstream media's fault.
Old 05-28-2014, 12:34 PM   #7
Boerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: (South Africa) Mechanized Infantry. 1 SAI Btn
Name: Ferdie
Boerseun's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by SMKYTXN View Post
It's either the alignment or tire pressure. If the pressure in the passenger side front tire is higher you'll get a pull to the left.

Take it to your local tire/alignment shop and get it aligned, but check your tire pressure first.
True, it could be tire pressure also.
It is 2014 model so still under warranty. Dealer should take care of it.
Old 05-28-2014, 12:38 PM   #8
sgscholla is on a distinguished road

Army: MI
sgscholla's Tacoma Gallery
how much do you weigh?
Old 05-28-2014, 01:26 PM   #9
tan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rick
tan4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgscholla View Post
how much do you weigh?
Now THAT's funny
Old 05-28-2014, 01:31 PM   #10
Bullwinkle J. Moose
bjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steve
bjmoose's Tacoma Gallery
brand new under warranty, no modifications - let the dealer handle it.

Probably rotate the tires; possibly need alignment.
Old 05-28-2014, 02:07 PM   #11
Monkey Tamer

Snookie's Tacoma Gallery
Groovy

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgscholla View Post
how much do you weigh?
69 pounds:}

I have an appointment at 7am in the morning to have the dealer look at it.

Got to stop and get breakfast first in an attempt to get pass 69 everyday:}

Thanks for the jocularity and advice, I like dat me!
Old 05-28-2014, 02:28 PM   #12
Monkey Tamer

Snookie's Tacoma Gallery
Update

That tire pressure thang got me thinking thanks.

I went and checked air pressure on all four tires and guess what?

Passenger front tire has 35lbs all three others have 28 lbs:}

Now my question is do I reduce the pressure to 28 lbs in the three or the one front passenger tire to 28 lob?

Thanks in advance for your reccomendations
Old 05-28-2014, 02:35 PM   #13
41 Year Toyota/Chrysler Tech/ASE Master
Tacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Tacoma Mike's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snookie View Post
Update

That tire pressure thang got me thinking thanks.

I went and checked air pressure on all four tires and guess what?

Passenger front tire has 35lbs all three others have 28 lbs:}

Now my question is do I reduce the pressure to 28 lbs in the three or the one front passenger tire to 28 lob?

Thanks in advance for your reccomendations
All tires to 35. Check tire wear from there
28 is to low anyway and we see a lot of outside edge wear due to tire roll for people that do a lot of intown driving with the pressures low.
Old 05-28-2014, 02:59 PM   #14
Monkey Tamer

Snookie's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacoma Mike View Post
All tires to 35. Check tire wear from there
28 is to low anyway and we see a lot of outside edge wear due to tire roll for people that do a lot of intown driving with the pressures low.
Hummm Ok Placard on door jam suggest 29/29 for these BF Goodrich Rugged Terrain T/A P265 65 R17 tires

Thanks for the info Mike
Old 05-28-2014, 03:10 PM   #15
Tacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Hummm Ok Placard on door jam suggest 29/29 for these BF Goodrich Rugged Terrain T/A P265 65 R17 tires

Thanks for the info Mike
I know the placards say the lower pressures.
But we have found the higher pressures work better.
You can adjust when cold if you like but work your way down instead of up.
Every person drives different and with their road conditions we play with pressures for them. 95% of the time we are at least 3 pounds higher.
Old 05-28-2014, 03:20 PM   #16
Monkey Tamer

Snookie's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I know the placards say the lower pressures.
But we have found the higher pressures work better.
You can adjust when cold if you like but work your way down instead of up.
Every person drives different and with their road conditions we play with pressures for them. 95% of the time we are at least 3 pounds higher.
10-foe up they go to 35

I'm hoping that will take care of the drifting to the left issue I have:}

Sounds great!

Again thanks for your input:}

Peace B with U
Old 05-28-2014, 03:27 PM   #17

Quote:
10-foe up they go to 35

I'm hoping that will take care of the drifting to the left issue I have:}

Sounds great!

Again thanks for your input:}

Peace B with U

If you feel there is still an issue don't hesitate to bring it to them. That's what the warr. is for. If it's ok then just keep an eye on your tires.
I think someone forgot to adjust a tire during the PDI.
Old 05-28-2014, 03:52 PM   #18
Monkey Tamer

Snookie's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

If you feel there is still an issue don't hesitate to bring it to them. That's what the warr. is for. If it's ok then just keep an eye on your tires.
I think someone forgot to adjust a tire during the PDI.
You may have something there Mike

The three tires with 28 psi the valve stem caps were ridiculously tight the one with 35 psi just hand tight.....

I'll air the three up and drive it and as I told the service adviser I'll reschedule for Friday morning is still an issue.

My dealership has been great so far:} Went to the new owners orientation a couple of weeks ago and they seemed genuinely concerned

Have had a couple of folks call and check on me and set a tentative rotation/oil change for Sept. since I don't drive it more then maybe 60 miles a week so far:]
Old 05-28-2014, 03:54 PM   #19
Lieutenant Dan.
DeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter: Lieutenant
DeeKay21's Tacoma Gallery
Take it back to the dealer since its still under warranty.
Old 05-28-2014, 04:06 PM   #20

Quote:
You may have something there Mike

The three tires with 28 psi the valve stem caps were ridiculously tight the one with 35 psi just hand tight.....

I'll air the three up and drive it and as I told the service adviser I'll reschedule for Friday morning is still an issue.

My dealership has been great so far:} Went to the new owners orientation a couple of weeks ago and they seemed genuinely concerned

Have had a couple of folks call and check on me and set a tentative rotation/oil change for Sept. since I don't drive it more then maybe 60 miles a week so far:]
Good. orientation is a good thing to go to. Gives you a little insight on how they do things and puts some info out for you. They all do it a little different but you can pick up a few things.

They are trying to preschedule your first app. I don't like it because its in the computer for that day and 70% don't show up because its so far ahead and people have lives. Does a number on the appointment sheet.
Just remember every 6 months or 5000 miles. Call a week ahead. You'll be fine.