1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Electrical issues

Discussion in 'Technical Chat' started by shadytree, May 31, 2014.

1. May 31, 2014 at 8:28 AM
    shadytree

shadytree [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ed
    MidAtlantic
    Vehicle:
    base model
    Fancy LED tail light on right side
    Fixing the neighbors Tacoma. Yay. The ac light was blinking and he tried to replace some relays under the hood. With pliers. After he broke several he took the truck to a local shop. They gave it back to him and said it was beyond their capability to fix, take it to dealer.

The repair shop returned the truck to him with no ac, and with the bonus of the power windows and speedometer stopped working.

I know a little about repairs and he asked me to take a look. I replaced the broken relays with Denso relays. I checked every fuse under the hood and all are working. Used a test light, and an ohm meter on the big ones you cant test light.

The fusebox under the dash has no power to the fuses running the power windows.

I checked the panel under the hood for the ac clutch relay and there is no power to the relay.

I have checked the obvious to me issues and find nothing wrong. I would like some advice on what to look for and where.

No fan, no ac light, no ac clutch engage, no other functions for ac unit like servo doors opening BUT the recirculation light comes on and the door moves when I hit that button. New relays, fuses test ok.

The anti slip light is on in the dash and the button does nothing to change that.

ABS light and brake light indicators are on in the dash.

No speedometer or odometer, there was a code and check engine light for that. I cleared the code and it hasnt come back but speedo is still broken.

I really dont want to take this to the dealer.

Thank you in advance :D

2. May 31, 2014 at 8:49 AM
    o0oSHADOWo0o

o0oSHADOWo0o Just lurking in the darkness

Member:
    First Name:
    Shadow
    Va Beach
    Vehicle:
    2012 Double Cab Short Bed 4x4 TRD Sport
    Just a few LEDs...
    What year Tacoma is it?

3. May 31, 2014 at 8:57 AM
    Tacoma Mike

Tacoma Mike 48 Year Chrysler/Toyota/ASE/ Master Tech.RETIRED

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Southern Maine
    Vehicle:
    2011 Double Cab V6 1995 Bass Tracker
    Large Storage Box, 02610 intermittent switch swap, "Hot Wire" Power Outlets, DRL Shut Off, Disable Fob Beep, Disable Seat Belt Buzzers, Parking Light Mod, Battery Tender, 4 Leaf Spring Pack, Rear Headrest Removal, Factory Tow Package (7 Pin) Rear Diff Mod, Taco Lean Mod, 2WD Low ECU.
    Ac light blinking is usually a seized compressor warning.
    we have had issues with relays being bad. its a 2 min check.
    They blew a few extra fuses i think. check the mega fuses also.
    check everyone under hood and inside.
    get it back to where it was with the light blinking.
    make sure the engine is off and try to rotate the outside part of the compressor. It should be smooth to move the little you will be able to.
    if it's ok find the MG clutch relay in the box under the hood and i think you can swap it with another temp. some years you can, some you can't.
    start there.

Oh yea
    If the mega fuses are blown they suck to do.
    The box needs to be taken apart. they bolt in.
    Might want to get it to the shop.
    you can easily break more stuff.

Last edited: May 31, 2014
  4. May 31, 2014 at 12:56 PM
    welterbf123

welterbf123 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Columbus, OH
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRD Off Road
    12voltsolutions.com plug-n-play remote start system. OVTuned OEM Bed lights Underhood and footwell lights Garmin dash-cam Weathertech side vents, bug shield, mud flaps and floor mats Extang Encore tonnau cover OME BP51 Suspension Front & Back / Dakar Leaf Springs Light Racing UCA's XD Holeshot 17" x 9" Wheels Nitto Trail Grapplers 265/70/R17 TRD Pro Grille Raptor Lights iJDMToy 30" LED Hidden Bar Light Toyota Bed Step
    One time I had a relay under the hood that needed to be replaced. When I pushed the relay into the socket, one of the prongs pushed itself into the relay housing and wasn't making contact with the socket. I just pulled the prong back out and carefully reinserted it and it worked...

Products Discussed in

To Top