Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Technical Chat

Notices

WS transmission fluid is garbage . Get it out of your transmission now

Old 06-16-2014, 11:29 AM   #21
68vert is on a distinguished road

68vert's Tacoma Gallery
^^same here^^ Which synthetic? I always use mobil 1. Never really had any luck with redline or royal purple. Its just a matter of time before I flush the factory crap out.
Old 06-16-2014, 11:46 AM   #22
SpoilsofWar is on a distinguished road
Army:
SpoilsofWar's Tacoma Gallery
Subscribed
Old 06-16-2014, 10:02 PM   #23
Loco38SUP is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoco38SUP is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoco38SUP is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoco38SUP is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoco38SUP is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoco38SUP is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoco38SUP is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoco38SUP is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoco38SUP is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoco38SUP is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoco38SUP is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Loco38SUP's Tacoma Gallery
Spill it already!

RJM
Old 06-16-2014, 10:24 PM   #24
Im not like the other Crumbs, Im my own Crumb
NEWBIETACO has much to be proud ofNEWBIETACO has much to be proud ofNEWBIETACO has much to be proud ofNEWBIETACO has much to be proud ofNEWBIETACO has much to be proud ofNEWBIETACO has much to be proud ofNEWBIETACO has much to be proud ofNEWBIETACO has much to be proud ofNEWBIETACO has much to be proud ofNEWBIETACO has much to be proud of

Name: JAKE
NEWBIETACO's Tacoma Gallery
You cant just jerk us around and not finish the job.
Old 06-16-2014, 10:25 PM   #25
koditten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkoditten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkoditten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkoditten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkoditten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkoditten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkoditten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkoditten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkoditten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkoditten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkoditten is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kirk
koditten's Tacoma Gallery
I just got done pulling the pans on a '98 and an '04, If what you are stating, the '04 had WS and the '98 had something else. All I can say is the '98, with 280k on the clock looked much better than the '04 with 60k. I was very suprise that there was very little material stuck to the magnets on the '98, quite a bit more shaving were atteched to the magnets on the '04.

I actually decided to keep the tranny out of the '98 as a spare because it looked so good.

I'm sub'd
Old 06-17-2014, 04:28 AM   #26
Sometimes when I close my eyes, I can't see.
Toyota Tech31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Tech31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Tech31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Tech31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Tech31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Tech31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Tech31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Tech31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Tech31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Tech31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Tech31 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jason
Toyota Tech31's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by koditten View Post
I just got done pulling the pans on a '98 and an '04, If what you are stating, the '04 had WS and the '98 had something else. All I can say is the '98, with 280k on the clock looked much better than the '04 with 60k. I was very suprise that there was very little material stuck to the magnets on the '98, quite a bit more shaving were atteched to the magnets on the '04.

I actually decided to keep the tranny out of the '98 as a spare because it looked so good.

I'm sub'd
The Tacoma didn't get WS till '05, not '04.
Old 06-17-2014, 05:47 AM   #28
nfs257 is one of the sharper tools in the shednfs257 is one of the sharper tools in the shednfs257 is one of the sharper tools in the shednfs257 is one of the sharper tools in the shednfs257 is one of the sharper tools in the shednfs257 is one of the sharper tools in the shednfs257 is one of the sharper tools in the shednfs257 is one of the sharper tools in the shednfs257 is one of the sharper tools in the shednfs257 is one of the sharper tools in the shednfs257 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: GSM1
Name: Chris
nfs257's Tacoma Gallery
Sub
Old 06-17-2014, 05:49 AM   #29
mb911 is on a distinguished road
Name: Ben
mb911's Tacoma Gallery
sub'd
Old 06-17-2014, 06:04 AM   #30
Lurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Lurkin's Tacoma Gallery
Must be lesson time...

How to subscribe to a thread
-> select Thread Tools from top toolbar
-> select Subscribe to this Thread
Done!

And with no thread noise
Old 06-17-2014, 06:20 AM   #31
nfs257 is one of the sharper tools in the shednfs257 is one of the sharper tools in the shednfs257 is one of the sharper tools in the shednfs257 is one of the sharper tools in the shednfs257 is one of the sharper tools in the shednfs257 is one of the sharper tools in the shednfs257 is one of the sharper tools in the shednfs257 is one of the sharper tools in the shednfs257 is one of the sharper tools in the shednfs257 is one of the sharper tools in the shednfs257 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: GSM1
Name: Chris
nfs257's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lurkin View Post
Must be lesson time...

How to subscribe to a thread
-> select Thread Tools from top toolbar
-> select Subscribe to this Thread
Done!

And with no thread noise
It was easier to do it the way I did since I was on my phone. lol
Old 06-17-2014, 06:38 AM   #32
ASE Master Tech
BamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: M1A2 hull/turret technician, 4th Maint Btn. 4th FSSG.
Name: Bill
BamaToy1997's Tacoma Gallery
While I will patiently wait to hear what supporting evidence you have, I will state that you are making one statement that is incorrect.

Quote:
(6)Why does Aisn Warner who make the transmission say that the transmission fluid needs to be changed every 30 k and 25 k under severe use yet Toyota says the fluid is good for 100k ?
While Aisn Warner does say that the ATF should be changed every 30k, and 25k under severe use, Toyota DOES state that ATF should be changed at 60k under severe use, not 100k. GM says the same thing about their Dex VI, that is can last 100k or more under normal duty. As for compatibility I do know for a fact that in many transmissions using a fluid that is not compatible can cause unusual operation. I have seen 4L60E transmissions in a 2010 that shifted strangely when using Dex III, but then flush it with Dex VI and it started shifting normally again. While it was perfectly fine to use the Dex III in a 2002 4L60E transmission. Same model, but the detailed internal valving and solenoid operation was different.

For example, just because a transmission has a valve body and internal parts that LOOK exactly the same, does not mean they will function the same. I would not take a valve body from a 2005 Tacoma and install it in a 2009 Tacoma and expect it to be fine. They have different part numbers, but will bolt up just fine. Hell, the valve body for a Tacoma access cab has a different part number than the valve body for a regular cab. Why? Because they are designed slightly different. Both will bolt right up to either transmission, but one will not properly function in the other.

I think the key here also is what is considered "normal" duty and what is considered "severe" duty. Below is an excerpt from Toyota, stating what is considered "severe" duty. I think after reading it, NOBODY on TW drives under any condition OTHER than severe.lol.

Quote:
Special Operating Conditions
The Severe service intervals indicates services that should be performed on vehicles that are driven under especially demanding conditions. Specific conditions require specific services. The severe service intervals indicates at which mileage intervals each service should he performed. You should perform these additional maintenance services if you drive primarily under any of the conditions noted. If you drive only occasionally under these conditions, it is not necessary to perform the additional services.

Driving on Rough, Muddy or Snow-covered Roads
- Rotate tires
- Inspect ball joints and dust cover
- Inspect brake linings/drums and brake pads/discs
- Inspect drive shaft boots
- Inspect nuts and bolts on chassis and body
- Inspect steering linkage
- Re-torque drive shaft flange bolts
- Lubricate propeller shaft and re-torque bolts

Driving on Salt-Covered Roads
Lubricate propeller shaft and re-torque bolts

Driving on Unpaved or Dusty Roads
- Inspect or change engine air filter

Extensive Idling or Low-Speed Driving for Long Distances

Towing a Trailer or Using a Camper or Car-Top Carrier
- Inspect nuts and bolts on chassis and body
- Replace differential oil
- Replace transmission fluid or oil
- Replace transfer oil

Off-Road Driving
If you own a four wheel drive vehicle you should check the following items daily whenever you drive off-road through deep sand, mud or water.
- Brake Tines and hoses
- Brake linings/drums and brake pads/discs
- Engine air filter
- Differential oil
- Steering linkage
- Transfer oil
- Transmission fluid or oil
- Wheel bearings
- For all fourwheel drive vehicles you should also lubricate the propeller shafts daily
That being said, I would like to read what is being said about the WS fluid. I am not saying that WS fluid is good or not. I do know that if you don't use the fluid that Toyota says is the only compatible fluid available, they can deny a warranty issue if the transmission were to fail. But I know you know this Gearcruncher. I accept that you want to wait for copyright approval, but can you link us to an article? That is not copyright infringement.....

I always do enjoy reading your input and information G.C. I will patiently wait to find out what your documentation states.
Old 06-17-2014, 09:43 AM   #33
RAT Products
isu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ryan
isu2014's Tacoma Gallery
Buy a manual.
Old 06-17-2014, 08:56 PM   #34
Rich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rich
Rich91710's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaToy1997 View Post
I think after reading it, NOBODY on TW drives under any condition OTHER than severe.lol.
Quote:
Driving on Rough, Muddy or Snow-covered Roads

Nope

Driving on Salt-Covered Roads

Nope

Driving on Unpaved or Dusty Roads

Very, very rarely.

Extensive Idling or Low-Speed Driving for Long Distances

Nope

Towing a Trailer or Using a Camper or Car-Top Carrier

Nope, just the cap

Off-Road Driving

Nope

Some parts of the country, and our Prerunner and 4x4 brothers who spend more time in the dirt than the mall? Absolutely.

Old 06-17-2014, 08:57 PM   #35
Rich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by isu2014 View Post
Buy a manual.
I'd kill myself if I had to use a manual again in Los Angeles.
Old 06-17-2014, 09:30 PM   #36
koditten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkoditten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkoditten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkoditten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkoditten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkoditten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkoditten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkoditten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkoditten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkoditten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkoditten is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kirk
koditten's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyota Tech31 View Post
The Tacoma didn't get WS till '05, not '04.
Its got WS now.
Old 06-17-2014, 09:42 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by koditten View Post
Its got WS now.
Only the 4.0 5 speed.
The 2.7 4 speed still uses T-IV
Old 06-18-2014, 04:31 PM   #38
Most people call me ... Jim.
DoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shed

DoorDing's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich91710 View Post
As much as I liked shifting my Civic Si, I wouldn't enjoy MTing in that traffic, either.
Old 06-18-2014, 06:46 PM   #39
Cranky & often armed sysadmin
Xaks is one of the sharper tools in the shedXaks is one of the sharper tools in the shedXaks is one of the sharper tools in the shedXaks is one of the sharper tools in the shedXaks is one of the sharper tools in the shedXaks is one of the sharper tools in the shedXaks is one of the sharper tools in the shedXaks is one of the sharper tools in the shedXaks is one of the sharper tools in the shedXaks is one of the sharper tools in the shedXaks is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Xaks
Xaks's Tacoma Gallery
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich91710 View Post
I have a manual and drive in Miami all the time, and I'd kill myself if I had to drive ANYthing in LA.

Are we even? LOL
Old 06-19-2014, 06:09 AM   #40
SpacemanSpiff is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpacemanSpiff is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpacemanSpiff is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpacemanSpiff is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpacemanSpiff is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpacemanSpiff is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpacemanSpiff is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpacemanSpiff is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpacemanSpiff is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpacemanSpiff is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpacemanSpiff is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
SpacemanSpiff's Tacoma Gallery
OP is casting such a shiny hook...