Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Technical Chat

Notices

WS transmission fluid is garbage . Get it out of your transmission now

Old 06-19-2014, 07:20 AM   #41
PhillyTacoma1230 is on a distinguished road
PhillyTacoma1230's Tacoma Gallery
I was experiencing rough shifting in my 2012 4.0 dclb as well. I recently did a complete flush, drained out the WS fluid and replaced it with Valvoline Max Life Synthetic. The tranny seems to shift much smoother now and it only cost me about 70 bucks and about 1hr and 30 mins of my time. Please note when I drained the WS fluid it was black and smelled burnt. I wish I had taken pictures.
Old 06-19-2014, 08:03 AM   #42
wake100 is on a distinguished road
wake100's Tacoma Gallery
how many miles on your 2012?
Old 06-19-2014, 08:05 AM   #43
mb911 is on a distinguished road
Name: Ben
mb911's Tacoma Gallery
So the question is what method is everyone using to flush the tranny? just draining and refilling the exact amount removed? or the scaner set up? Probably the dumbest setup ever to not have a dipstick.
Old 06-19-2014, 09:06 AM   #44
wake100 is on a distinguished road
wake100's Tacoma Gallery
That really isn't what I got out of all this...
Old 06-19-2014, 10:12 AM   #45
SpacemanSpiff is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpacemanSpiff is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpacemanSpiff is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpacemanSpiff is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpacemanSpiff is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpacemanSpiff is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpacemanSpiff is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpacemanSpiff is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpacemanSpiff is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpacemanSpiff is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpacemanSpiff is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
SpacemanSpiff's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by mb911 View Post
So the question is what method is everyone using to flush the tranny? just draining and refilling the exact amount removed? or the scaner set up? Probably the dumbest setup ever to not have a dipstick.
Both fortech and mountainlion have excellent write-ups on here for both methods.
Old 06-19-2014, 10:44 AM   #46
Master of None
Fifthwind is one of the sharper tools in the shedFifthwind is one of the sharper tools in the shedFifthwind is one of the sharper tools in the shedFifthwind is one of the sharper tools in the shedFifthwind is one of the sharper tools in the shedFifthwind is one of the sharper tools in the shedFifthwind is one of the sharper tools in the shedFifthwind is one of the sharper tools in the shedFifthwind is one of the sharper tools in the shedFifthwind is one of the sharper tools in the shedFifthwind is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Murph
Fifthwind's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpacemanSpiff View Post
Both fortech and mountainlion have excellent write-ups on here for both methods.
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...nsmission.html

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...nsmission.html
Old 06-19-2014, 12:48 PM   #47
Quote:
Originally Posted by wake100 View Post
how many miles on your 2012?
My 2012 currently has 40k on it. I took it into the dealer when it had about 25k on it because it was shifting rough. The dealer acknowledged it wasn't shifting as smoothly as it should and reset the ecu for me. That didn't fix the problem. So I took it upon myself to check the transmission fluid level (I used the same method in both the links above). After I saw my fluid was low, I decided to drain the Tranny at 38,500 miles. I used the mountain lion method provided in the post above me. It took me about an hour and a half to do a complete flush. After the flush the truck shifts a lot smoother. I plan on doing the flush every 30-40k miles.
Old 06-21-2014, 05:44 PM   #48
Rich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rich
Rich91710's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillyTacoma1230 View Post
My 2012 currently has 40k on it. I took it into the dealer when it had about 25k on it because it was shifting rough. The dealer acknowledged it wasn't shifting as smoothly as it should and reset the ecu for me. That didn't fix the problem. So I took it upon myself to check the transmission fluid level (I used the same method in both the links above). After I saw my fluid was low, I decided to drain the Tranny at 38,500 miles. I used the mountain lion method provided in the post above me. It took me about an hour and a half to do a complete flush. After the flush the truck shifts a lot smoother. I plan on doing the flush every 30-40k miles.
Your problem was that the factory fill was low (not uncommon), not the WS fluid.
Old 06-23-2014, 11:16 AM   #49
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich91710 View Post
Your problem was that the factory fill was low (not uncommon), not the WS fluid.
You might be right.... but I was low from the factory when I checked, and proceeded to top it off with WS fluid. After I put in the WS fluid I did the transmission fluid check procedure that was in the links above. The fluid was then properly filled. I took the truck out for a ride and was still experiencing issues with rough shifting. Since I have flushed the tranny with Valvoline max life full synthetic I haven't had any issues.

Is it possible that the truck, being low on tranny fluid from the factory, proceeded to heat up the WS fluid at a much more rapid pace because it was low on fluid. Therefore burning up the WS fluid pre-maturely because it was low on fluid? Just a thought...
Old 07-08-2014, 02:07 PM   #50
jackbower6864 is on a distinguished road
Navy: Corpsman
jackbower6864's Tacoma Gallery
WS isn't bad just not lifetime fluid

I don't know if WS is bad when changed regularly maybe 40-50k it should be just fine. No way I would let is sit for the "lifetime of the vehicle"
Old 07-08-2014, 02:14 PM   #51
Backdoor Commentator
DoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shed

DoorDing's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaToy1997 View Post
That being said, I would like to read what is being said about the WS fluid. I am not saying that WS fluid is good or not. I do know that if you don't use the fluid that Toyota says is the only compatible fluid available, they can deny a warranty issue if the transmission were to fail. But I know you know this Gearcruncher. I accept that you want to wait for copyright approval, but can you link us to an article? That is not copyright infringement.....

I always do enjoy reading your input and information G.C. I will patiently wait to find out what your documentation states.
^

Old 07-09-2014, 06:27 AM   #52
KaPantsKey is a jewel in the roughKaPantsKey is a jewel in the roughKaPantsKey is a jewel in the rough

Name: Kyle
KaPantsKey's Tacoma Gallery
So, what transmission fluid is everyone recommending then? Also, have we seen any catastrophic failures related to Toyota's WS fluid? I don't doubt Gearcruncher's knowledge on this topic, but there are a ton of Tacomas (Toyotas for that matter) that are still on the road and I bet a majority are using Toyota's WS fluid. I will be changing mine at 30K, just like I still change my oil every 5k. I don't believe in the lifetime transmission fluids and oil changes at 10-15k.
Old 07-09-2014, 06:50 AM   #53
Sometimes when I close my eyes, I can't see.
Toyota Tech31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Tech31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Tech31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Tech31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Tech31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Tech31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Tech31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Tech31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Tech31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Tech31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Tech31 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jason
Toyota Tech31's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaPantsKey View Post
So, what transmission fluid is everyone recommending then? Also, have we seen any catastrophic failures related to Toyota's WS fluid? I don't doubt Gearcruncher's knowledge on this topic, but there are a ton of Tacomas (Toyotas for that matter) that are still on the road and I bet a majority are using Toyota's WS fluid. I will be changing mine at 30K, just like I still change my oil every 5k. I don't believe in the lifetime transmission fluids and oil changes at 10-15k.
Just to clarify, there are no tacomas as of yet to be certified from Toyota to have more than a 5k oil change interval, including the 4 cylinder that uses 0-w20.
Old 07-09-2014, 06:58 AM   #54
KaPantsKey is a jewel in the roughKaPantsKey is a jewel in the roughKaPantsKey is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyota Tech31 View Post
Just to clarify, there are no tacomas as of yet to be certified from Toyota to have more than a 5k oil change interval, including the 4 cylinder that uses 0-w20.
Thanks for the clarification. I knew that regarding the Toyota. I should have been more clear that I was referring to other vehicles. Specifically, a Ford I don't like to talk about owning.
Old 07-09-2014, 07:01 AM   #55
Sometimes when I close my eyes, I can't see.
Toyota Tech31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Tech31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Tech31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Tech31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Tech31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Tech31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Tech31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Tech31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Tech31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Tech31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Tech31 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jason
Toyota Tech31's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Thanks for the clarification. I knew that regarding the Toyota. I should have been more clear that I was referring to other vehicles. Specifically, a Ford I don't like to talk about owning.
There are still plenty of Toyota's that have 10k oil change intervals.
Old 07-09-2014, 07:23 AM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyota Tech31 View Post
There are still plenty of Toyota's that have 10k oil change intervals.
And I don't like it.

Back to my original questions as we are getting off-topic.
Old 07-09-2014, 10:46 AM   #57
Nacho Muchacho is on a distinguished road

Nacho Muchacho's Tacoma Gallery
Gearcruncher, first I'd like to say that I really appreciate your comparisons of the WS compatible ATF fluids.

However, in reference to your 2nd post where you state that the toyota "WS collapses massively under heat" but the Valvoline max life fluid does not, what parameters are you indicating to show that? Is it the kinematic viscosity or flashpoint? Reductions of either after a heating test?

EDIT: After review of each MSDS, I'm guessing you're saying that while the flashpoints may be similar, the kinematic viscosity values at 100C are higher (thicker) for the WS fluid. Am I correct in understanding that your statement is in reference to the 100C kinematic viscosity properties?

If that's the case, I just wanted to add another WS compatible fluid's properties, Amsoil ATF (product code: ATL1G). Note: while I am an amsoil preferred customer, I make no money due to sales of Amsoil. Just bought the membership to get the preferred price.

Amsoil: flashpoint 224C, kinematic viscosity at 100C is 5.9 cSt.

Valvoline Max Life: flashpoint 202, kinematic viscosity 100C is 5.91 cSt.

That being said, I had no idea that valvoline max life was so comparable to amsoil. In fact, while I have done the fluid change to amsoil in my taco. I need to perform the change to the gf's 4runner and am considering using Valvoine max life now due to cost and availability.

What have been others' experience of the valvoline max life fluid in their tacomas?

NM
Old 07-13-2014, 06:17 PM   #58
Rich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rich
Rich91710's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
And I don't like it.
Why not?

Toyota allowed 7500 miles on non-synthetic oil on nearly all models until around 2000-2005 (the year of change coincided with the addition of the "Maintenance Required" light on the dash)
10k on synthetic is not a problem for a healthy engine.
Old 07-31-2014, 10:08 AM   #59
DR Da_da is a splendid one to beholdDR Da_da is a splendid one to beholdDR Da_da is a splendid one to beholdDR Da_da is a splendid one to beholdDR Da_da is a splendid one to beholdDR Da_da is a splendid one to beholdDR Da_da is a splendid one to behold

DR Da_da's Tacoma Gallery
So is MaxLife Base or Synthetic?

I'm confused. From the letter quoted below, it states that MaxLife is a fully synthetic ATF:
Quote:
Originally Posted by gearcruncher View Post
THOMAS R. SMITH
Vice President, Branded Lubricant Technology
Ashland Consumer Markets
August 22, 2011
To Whom It May Concern:
MaxLife ATF is a full synthetic automatic transmission fluid . . .
However, Valvoline's own description on their website states it's comprised of base oils:
Quote:
Originally Posted by http://www.valvoline.com/products/consumer-products/automatic-transmission-products/automatic-transmission-fluid/37
MaxLife DEX/MERC ATF contains a blend of superior base oils
So what's the right answer?
Old 07-31-2014, 10:11 AM   #60
Lurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Rod
Lurkin's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by DR Da_da View Post
I'm confused. From the letter quoted below, it states that MaxLife is a fully synthetic ATF:
However, Valvoline's own description on their website states it's comprised of base oils:

So what's the right answer?
In the US, "synthetic", as it relates to oils, has been relegated to a marketting term. Oil companies can label an oil/fluid as "synthetic" when they use dino-based hydro-cracked base oils. These oils are better then the regular dino, but they are not true synthetic.