1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

WS transmission fluid is garbage . Get it out of your transmission now

Discussion in 'Technical Chat' started by gearcruncher, Jun 3, 2014.

1. Jun 3, 2014 at 3:31 PM
    gearcruncher

gearcruncher [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Canadain bumper technician
    Great white North 51.0333° N, 93.8333° W
    Vehicle:
    2010.TRD.SportDCLB4x4Limited leather package
    TRD Sport Rally -5 speed automatic Limited ,Factory heated leather seats ,chrome package,Super white with front windows tinted to 35 % Dick Cepek DC-2 wheels Summer tires - Good year silent armor P265/65R17 Winter tires - Good year P265/65R17 Ultra Ice studded Illuminated 4x4 switch TRD 3rd brake light cover ($20) TRD seat belt shoulder protectors (5). ($50) TRD ...B pillar emblems ($20) TRD rear slider sticker with devil horns ( $6) TRD summer floor matts ($60) TRD steering wheel emblem ($20) TRD floor pedals .($95) TRD shorty antenna ($14) TRD front Windshield emblems ($17) TRD head pillows .($60) TRD head rest protectors TRD door scuff protection $20 TRD floor matt emblems ($40) TRD tow plug emblem . ($40) TRD cigarette lighter with LED.($35) TRD tissue dispenser ($12) TRD front bezel emblems ($9) TRD door emblems ($6) TRD lanyards($9) TRD lisence plates with TRD bolts($50) TRD fender emblems TRD center caps Part Number:PT904-35070-CC ($80) TRD cd
    Here we go :D

Last edited: Jun 3, 2014
  2. Jun 3, 2014 at 3:34 PM
    gearcruncher

Member:
    First Name:
    Vehicle:
    TRD Sport Rally -5 speed automatic Limited ,Factory heated leather seats ,chrome package,Super white with front windows tinted to 35 % Dick Cepek DC-2 wheels Summer tires - Good year silent armor P265/65R17 Winter tires - Good year P265/65R17 Ultra Ice studded Illuminated 4x4 switch TRD 3rd brake light cover ($20) TRD seat belt shoulder protectors (5). ($50) TRD ...B pillar emblems ($20) TRD rear slider sticker with devil horns ( $6) TRD summer floor matts ($60) TRD steering wheel emblem ($20) TRD floor pedals .($95) TRD shorty antenna ($14) TRD front Windshield emblems ($17) TRD head pillows .($60) TRD head rest protectors TRD door scuff protection $20 TRD floor matt emblems ($40) TRD tow plug emblem . ($40) TRD cigarette lighter with LED.($35) TRD tissue dispenser ($12) TRD front bezel emblems ($9) TRD door emblems ($6) TRD lanyards($9) TRD lisence plates with TRD bolts($50) TRD fender emblems TRD center caps Part Number:PT904-35070-CC ($80) TRD cd
    WS is garbage , dont use it after warranty runs out .....better yet , get it out now before your warranty runs out !:D Toyota Cant deny warranty of transmission fluid as long as it is WS compatible .
    Give me a minute ! I am still working on this post with credible sources so dont call me out until I am finished :) Why would a guy with 30 years experience ....17 years of which owning my own shop working on transmissions every day say this ?
    EDIT : still waiting for copywrite information to get released to me . I asked if i could use the information at Tacoma World ....now i am waiting for a reply ( Sept 15/2014). Sent another email Sept 13 . I will bump the post with new information as soon as I get permission .If you dont like waiting , think of how I feel being the OP .
    Why should I waste my time and your time by reading this throwing a bunch of information together ? because like you , I am here to help others understand how manufacturers operate and how they try to skim past rules and regulations by trying to fool consumers into beleiving that you need a speacial fluid in your transmission to save fuel .WS fluid is nothing but a ploy used by Toyota to get away from paying taxes on environmental fees and that is all it is period .Can any of you tell us what transmission fluid is considered to be a lifetime fluid ? There is no such thing in this day and age .Toyota is like all the rest; they make recommendations that are good from a PR standpoint but not so good from the mechanical perspective. Transmission fluid changes, or lack of, is only one of those PR moves.Unfortunately, a lot of mechanics even at the dealership level buy into ill-advised things like this.
    If the car manufacturers feel so confident in fluid longevity then let them warranty the transmissions for the life of the vehicle......... This post , when finished is going to prove to you that there are better suited fluids even at Walmart that superceed the characteristics of WS transmission fluid

Get that god awful fluid out of your transmission as soon as you can. The issue with WS is the proven fact that it cant handle the heat and breaks down to acid in a short period of time .

For you guys that have questions regarding warranty coverage ...read this . Its going to explain to you that Toyota Cant deny a warranty claim becuase you changed your transmission fluid to an aftermarket blend .
    http://www.zabteck.com/MagnusonMossWarrantyAct.pdf

If you plan to change your transmission fluid and dont plan to use World standard fluid , try to find an aftermarket fluid thats WS endorsed

Question :
    (1)Why did Toyota change their transmission fluid to World Standard ( WS ) in 2005 ?

Answer : Selling 168,000 2nd generation tacomas in 2005 , Toyota needed to find a way to avoid hefty environmental fees .Toyota pays an environmental fee for each vehichle they sell to us . This was acheived by introducing WS fluid to the market as a lifetime fluid capable of 100k without as much as a service saving Toyota millions .Toyota wanted you as a customer to beleive that WS was created to save fuel which is simply not true .

(2)Was there anything wrong with the fluid they recommended for their transmissions from 1972 - 2002 ?

Yes , Toyota had to pay environmental fees because the fluid used needed servicing much sooner

(3)Did they do it for reliability ?
    WS fluid cant handle any heat . This is extremelly well proven and will back up everything mentioned in this post .There are some proven accounts listed here http://www.artsautomotive.com/about/78-genuine-fluids

(4) Did they do it to save their customers money by changing the transmission service interval to 100,000 miles ?

Answer ...No, We know that synthetic tends to flow better when its cold, that it resists shearing better than conventional, that it protects better under high heat conditions, and that in general it usually has a lower NOACK and a higher film strength. WS transmission fluid is not synthetic like Toyota has claimed .

(5)Did they spend countless hours engineering a new transmission fluid that would last forever and was far superior to any other fluid on the market and did the engineers look at what happens when the fluid breaks down ?

Answer . No - Toyota introduced WS fluid to save money on environmental tax fees by telling the government that WS fluid would last 100,000 miles without a service . If you look at the bottom of this post , the contents of WS fluid has been broken down into particulates . Notice anything unusual ? what are the professional oil analysts saying about WS when exposed to heat and why did Toyota suddenly and recently change the transmission service interval from 100k down to 60K? NOTE : check the fees when purchasing your truck

(6)Why does Aisn Warner who make the transmission say that the transmission fluid needs to be changed every 30 k and 25 k under severe use yet Toyota says the fluid is good for 100k ?

(7)What parts within the transmission changed making the new WS fluid necessary ?

The A750 series which was released in 2003 reqiured WS fluid yet the clutching , electronics and converter clutch were similar to the A340 from the early 1990,s . Much the same as the Toyota camry using the identical transmission and clutching yet now requires WS fluid

(8)What is so special about this fancy WS transmission fluid that Toyota recommends for The Aisn Warner A750 series transmission ?

Lets have a peek at the content of WS fluid
    The WS fluid is nothing special and not synthetic like Toyata claims . Taking a look at the MSDS for WS fluid designed by Exxon , pay close attention to the flashpoint and you are going to see that WS collapses massively under heat
    http://www.kd5byb.net/Tundra/ATF%20WS%20MSDS1.pdf

Now take a look at WS fluid designed by Esso and notice the flashpoint is much lower than the Exxon WS but still collapses massively under heat
    http://www.kd5byb.net/Tundra/ATF WS MSDS2.pdf

Now take a look at the German blend of WS known as Ravenol . In the link provided , you are going to see that WS is used in many different vehicles in Europe . What we can conclude from this is that WS is not specific to Toyota . Still waiting for an msds from Ravenol to compare against the North American blends . I highly expect a totally different fluid similar to Max Life
    http://www.ravenol.de/produkte/verwendung/d/Product/show/p/ravenol-atf-t-ws-lifetime.html

KV 100C just below 6cSt
    BV -40C about 8500cP
    20 hour KRL shear 10% vis loss
    FZG a/8.3/90 9 LS
    Foam
    Seq I 30/0
    Seq II 40/0
    Seq III 20/0
    Seq IV 30/0
    The VM collapses massively under thermal stress.

Lets have a look at valvoline Maxlife that can be purchased from your local Wallmart .
    Here is the PDF . Pay close attention to the viscosity and flaspoint . Max life does not collapse massively when its exposed to the same heat stress as WS . There is very little viscosity breakdown .
    http://www.valvoline.com/pdf/maxlife_atf.pdf
    THOMAS R. SMITH
    Vice President, Branded Lubricant Technology
    Ashland Consumer Markets
    August 22, 2011
    To Whom It May Concern:
    MaxLife ATF is a full synthetic automatic transmission fluid designed to meet the needs of the broadest range of transmission designs. MaxLife ATF recommendations are based on a combination of field testing and laboratory testing.
    Valvoline recommends MaxLife ATF in a broad range of transmissions. The list below is just a sample of applications where Valvoline supports the use of MaxLife ATF. Valvoline has conducted in-house testing, independent lab testing, and field-testing to support MaxLife ATF performance in these transmissions; however, it is important to note that the respective vehicle[​IMG] manufacturers have neither evaluated nor approved MaxLife ATF in these applications.
    • Allison TES 389, C-4
    • ATF 3403 M115
    • Audi/VW G-052-025-A1/A2, G-055-025, G-052-162-A1/A2, G-055-005-A1/A2, G-055-162, G-060-162-A1/A2
    • BMW LT71141, LA2634, M-1375.4 fluids
    Ford[​IMG] MERCON
    • Ford FNR5
    • Ford MERCON® V
    • Ford MERCON® SP
    • MERCON® LV
    • GM 9986195
    • GM DEXRON® II, III and VI
    • Honda/Acura ATF-Z, DW-1 (except in CVTs)
    • Hyundai SP-II, SP-III, SP-IV, and SPH-IV
    • Jaguar JLM20238, LT71141
    • JWS 3309
    • KIA SP-II and SP-III Fluids
    • KIA Red 1
    • MAN 339 Type F
    • Mazda M-V
    • Mercedes Benz MB236.1, MB236.6, MB236.7, MB236.9, MB236.10
    • Mercedes Benz NAG-1
    • MOPAR AS68RC ATF
    • Miscellaneous OEMs – M1375.4
    • Mitsubishi Diamond SP-II and SP-III
    • Nissan Matic-D, Matic-J, Matic-K, and Matic-S
    Saab 93 165 147
    • Subaru ATF
    • Subaru ATF-HP
    • Toyota / Lexus Type T, T-III and T-IV
    • Toyota WS (except Hybrid vehicles[​IMG])
    • Voith H55.6336.33 (G1363), H55.6335.33 (G607)
    • Volvo 1161521 and 1161540, and STD 1273.41
    • VW TL52162
    • ZF TE-ML-14B, 16L, 17C
    Valvoline stands behind all of its products, including MaxLife ATF. Use of MaxLife ATF in transmissions where recommended by Valvoline WILL NOT void the vehicle’s warranty. Vehicle manufacturers are restricted by federal law from including the requirement of the use of a specific brand or trade name of product or service as a condition of their warranty. The following is an extract from the Federal Trade Commission’s web site on interpretation of the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act:
    "Tie-In Sales" Provisions Generally, tie-in sales provisions are not allowed. Such a provision would require a purchaser of the warranted product to buy an item or service from a particular company to use with the warranted product in order to be eligible to receive a remedy under the warranty. The following are examples of prohibited tie-in sales provisions.
    In order to keep your new Plenum Brand Vacuum Cleaner warranty in effect, you must use genuine Plenum Brand Filter Bags. Failure to have
    scheduled maintenance performed, at your expense, by the Great American Maintenance Company, Inc., voids this warranty.
    Valvoline has conducted extensive testing and has a long history of successful use of MaxLife ATF in a broad range of applications. In the unlikely event that you or your customer experiences any transmission damage while using MaxLife ATF in a Valvoline recommended application, please contact Valvoline at 1-800-Team-VAL for assistance.
    While MaxLife ATF is designed to meet the special needs of higher mileage transmissions, new transmissions can also benefit from its enhanced oxidation protection, shear stability, seal compatibility, wear protection and anti-shudder protection. Many consumers have chosen to take advantage of this level of performance in newer transmissions.
    Valvoline does not recommend MaxLife ATF for use in most continuously variable transmissions (CVTs) unless specifically noted nor in automatic transmissions where Ford Type F fluids are recommended.
    Sincerely,
    Thom Smith
    Vice President, Branded Lubricant Technology
    Ashland Consumer Markets

Last edited: Oct 1, 2014
    This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
    CS_AR, pigtailleo, SLAPS 65 and 5 others like this.
  3. Jun 11, 2014 at 9:46 PM
    Spoonman

Spoonman Granite Guru

Member:
    First Name:
    Jamie
    Alberta
    So.... Why is it bad...

4. Jun 11, 2014 at 10:09 PM
    gearcruncher

Member:
    First Name:
    Vehicle:
    Working on it Spoon . Give me a little time to finish the post

I will back this up with credible sources shortly. Sometimes when backing up credible information , it takes time to get " permissions " to post what others feel is copywright information if you know what I mean

Last edited: Jun 11, 2014
    tcjacado likes this.
  5. Jun 11, 2014 at 10:36 PM
    bluewaters182

bluewaters182 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    Ohio
    Vehicle:
    2019 4runner TRD premium
    Weathertech Mats, Leer 180 Cap, Icon 2.5 coilovers w/700lb springs, Icon UCA, fox 2.0 remote resi 10" travel rear shocks, nitro 4.56 gears, carrier bearing drop, Level 8 guardian rims 16 x 8.5, 315/75/16 Cooper ST Maxx, satoshi grill, shorty antenna, BHLM, color matched eyelids, rear diff breather relocated, exhaust chop, mudflap delete, debadged, All Pro front bumper powder coated white, smittybilt x2o 8 comp winch, SOS sliders, illumination supply 30" single row led bar, uniden 880 CB w/2' firestick on relentless fab hood mount, full AllPro skids, AllPro expo leaf springs, AllPro U bolt flip, Ultraguage, interior LEDs , trimmed fenders and flares 2", AP ext brake lines, CMC, fire wall massage, pelfreybilt battery box, diehard group 31 battery, Kragen 7" HID, homemade HiLift mount, Yaesu ft-8900, Ellis precision AT shifter, EBC yellowstuff & sport rotors, PIAA 510 fogs, Safari snorkel
  6. Jun 11, 2014 at 10:45 PM
    Rich91710

Rich91710 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    08 Base
    Satoshi with FJ badge, factory cruise, factory intermittent wipers, Redline Tuning hood-lift struts, Hellwig Swaybar, Rosen DVD-Nav
    Similar to what I was told by Trans guys I trust about GM's Dexron-VI that they started stuffing into 2006 transmissions.
    I had the Duramax and ditched the Dex-VI for Amsoil Torque-Drive (comparable to Allison's TransSynd) as soon as I was able to order 5 gallons.

So what about T-IV vs Dex-III? Should be be running Dex-III in all Toyota transmissions, or is T-IV the good stuff?

I was considering Mobil-1 Dex-III for the Duramax, but the same sources that said that Dex-VI was shit said that Dex-III was totally incompatible... leaving TransSynd and TorqueDrive good options for the Allison in the Duramax, but leaving owners of GM transmissions in a tight spot.

7. Jun 11, 2014 at 10:49 PM
    Loco38SUP

Loco38SUP Well-Known Member

Member:
    North Seattle, WA
    Vehicle:
    2011 Double Cab SR5 4X4
    Loud as hell URD exhaust!
    I'm getting ready to do a tranny fluid change.

Lets hear what is a better option than the WS fluid.

RJM

8. Jun 11, 2014 at 11:14 PM
    TACORIDER

TACORIDER Just another statistic

Member:
    First Name:
    JAKE
    EAST TAWAKONI TEXAS
    Vehicle:
    12 TACO and some other Toyota’s
    I got 26,000 miles and listening

9. Jun 12, 2014 at 1:06 PM
    welterbf123

welterbf123 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Columbus, OH
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRD Off Road
    12voltsolutions.com plug-n-play remote start system. OVTuned OEM Bed lights Underhood and footwell lights Garmin dash-cam Weathertech side vents, bug shield, mud flaps and floor mats Extang Encore tonnau cover OME BP51 Suspension Front & Back / Dakar Leaf Springs Light Racing UCA's XD Holeshot 17" x 9" Wheels Nitto Trail Grapplers 265/70/R17 TRD Pro Grille Raptor Lights iJDMToy 30" LED Hidden Bar Light Toyota Bed Step
  10. Jun 12, 2014 at 1:10 PM
    Boone

Boone Vaginas are rad.

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Boone, NC
    Vehicle:
    Airbags deployed
  11. Jun 12, 2014 at 1:14 PM
    MonsterTaco11

MonsterTaco11 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Allan
    Saint Hedwig, Tx
    Vehicle:
    11 Mod'd TRD OR 4x4
    TRD CAI, Monster Energry Edition Drop Star Rims, Front Icon 2.5 coilovers, Icon tubular uniball UCA's, Redline Elite hood struts, Anti Dark hood LED lights, Aries Pro grille gueard, EGR slimline vent visors, Anzo Projection Halo headlights, Icon V Dynamics Rear progressive AAL and VS 2.0 reservoir Shocks.
  12. Jun 12, 2014 at 1:15 PM
    coastemac

coastemac Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mac
    NC
    Vehicle:
    2014 Tacoma TRD 4DR
    Bone Stock.
    Sub'ed...

13. Jun 12, 2014 at 1:19 PM
    yotarob2005

yotarob2005 Kiss My IFS

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Bryan , Tx
    Vehicle:
    05 D-cab trd sport long bed
    Front Bilstien 5100's Set @ 1.75", rear 5100's & TSB springs, Flowmaster, TRD seat covers, Toyota All weather floor mats, 265/70-17 Michelin LTX AT2's, some Debadgeding, BHLM, led bed lights, 886 back up lights, fog lights anytime mod, Extra d-rings, Toyota bed mat, sockmoney TRD decals, Kenwood 890DNX, Firestone ride-rite air bags, 2 car seats.
  14. Jun 12, 2014 at 1:39 PM
    esse10

esse10 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    05prerunner SR5 DBLCAB
    :popcorn: It can't be all that bad I went 142k miles in my 2005 prerunner with no tranny issues. I just recently replaced the fluid with Valvoline
    MaxLife® DEX/MERC ATF

and still no issues..........Knock on wood. LOL :D

rmarrons likes this.
  15. Jun 12, 2014 at 2:17 PM
    Spoonman

Spoonman Granite Guru

Member:
    First Name:
    Jamie
    Alberta
    Once they fluid is in your tranny you'll never get it all out. It's absorbed into all the clutches...might as well stick with it

Tacopycho likes this.
  16. Jun 12, 2014 at 3:54 PM
    PMK

PMK Well-Known Member

Member:
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    10 DCLB TRD Sport
    White, debadged, Mudflaps removed, ICON 2.5 in front, 2.0 in rear, all 4 corners have reservoirs, Spidertrax wheel spacers all around, BAMF bolt on sliders, Avid lightbar, oem transmission cooler converted to power steering cooler, aftermarket transmission cooler eliminating all oem transmission cooler stuff, remote mounted spin on transmission fluid filter TrueTrac rear differential, rear diff housing vented and filtered into left side bed box, URD MAF calibrator, Volant intake scoop into oem airbox, second filter removed, airbox internals smoothed, blended and polished throttle body, NST intake manifold spacer, Wet Okolee set covers, WeatherTech Digital Fit mats, inexpensive JVC single DIN, Scangage, AVS Stepshield door sill protectors, Doug Thorley Long Tube Headers, URD Y pipe with O2 sims.
    I forget the mileage I drained my WS out, somewhere around 20k. Replaced it with Mobil1 ATF. Been a couple of years and maybe 23k miles. Shifts better, the gear selector works smoother, no complaints.

When I did the complete flush by removing the return hose from the cooler, the WS was already darkening.

I agree with Gearcruncher, I never found anything that proved WS was synthetic or really anything more than a regular old transmission fluid.

PK

Rambo54 and Glenn141 like this.
  17. Jun 13, 2014 at 6:11 PM
    Timbo's Customs

Timbo's Customs Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Timothy
    Lakeland FL
    Vehicle:
    2019 f250 6”lift 37s deleted 1997 T4r, tons and 4ds
    1997 t4r has super duty axles, 5.13s locked front and rear. 3 link front with 14" kings. Rear 63s.
    So what do you recommend for the transmissions in our trucks then thats at most parts stores

18. Jun 13, 2014 at 7:53 PM
    NWOffroad

NWOffroad Active Member

Member:
    Hippieville OR
    Vehicle:
    09 DCLB 4x4 LT
    TC LT, Kings, DMZ, Rigids, a few other goodies...
    Interesting....
    Have 38k on the odo and time to do a service.
    Have used lots of Lucas Oil products in the dez race vehicles in the past and they have always performed well. They offer 2 ATF fluids.

19. Jun 16, 2014 at 9:54 AM
    steezinstangl

steezinstangl Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Elk Grove, Ca
    Vehicle:
    2008 FJ Cruiser
    just flushed all the toyota ws fluid out about 2000 miles ago and replaced it with valvoline maxlife synthetic. no problems what so ever. and only costed me around 60 bucks for 4 gallons at walmart:D

CS_AR and Pirhett like this.
  20. Jun 16, 2014 at 11:22 AM
    yotarob2005

yotarob2005 Kiss My IFS

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Bryan , Tx
    Vehicle:
    05 D-cab trd sport long bed
    Front Bilstien 5100's Set @ 1.75", rear 5100's & TSB springs, Flowmaster, TRD seat covers, Toyota All weather floor mats, 265/70-17 Michelin LTX AT2's, some Debadgeding, BHLM, led bed lights, 886 back up lights, fog lights anytime mod, Extra d-rings, Toyota bed mat, sockmoney TRD decals, Kenwood 890DNX, Firestone ride-rite air bags, 2 car seats.
    I'm sitting here on the edge of my seat OP, come on with the facts. :cool:

Products Discussed in

To Top