Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Technical Chat

Notices

Fuel filter replacement

Old 08-01-2011, 04:15 PM   #21
Lord of Tomfoolery
genxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sean
genxer36's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by frog13 View Post
genxer:I believe your correct on the quality,BUT,whats next from a trusted automanufacturer.There is no "real" savings for Toyota or any manufacturer to pull this type of inconvience....a filter,does just that,it filters.If me or anyone else wants to do some, in the future ,preventative maintenance, it is not an easy task....now;just another way to suck more cash(if u have it) out of the consumer for no acceptable reason....for them yes.... $$$$$.
Toyota may not be using the traditional type of fuel filter in the tanks. I had 173,554 miles on my 2005 & never had a fuel issue.
Old 11-25-2011, 11:20 AM   #22
Dustrider is on a distinguished road
Name: Dave
Dustrider's Tacoma Gallery
my experience as a hillbilly moonshine mechanic who runs high mileage old trucks , I get em at 150,000 and let em go at about 250,
never had a plugged filter
changed every one on every truck I have owned to rule out a performance issue and it has never made a difference
never .
I mention it because I am going through diagnostic hell right now trying to cure a cold stall

changed the inline filter on my 98 2.7 before checking fuel pressure with a guage
fuel pressure was perfect

the most important filter is the one that is inside the fuel tank mounted to the fuel pump

to change the filter was tricky but not as impossible as it looks.

its located inside the curve of the intake manifold mounted to the block and looks like a tin christmas tree ornament

first I unbuttoned the skirt in the drivers side wheel well . Then I reached in blindly through the wheel well with a common open end wrench and used the box end to loosen the Banjo bolt on the outlet side of the filter.
Next through the engine compartment I used a swivel head ratchet and socket to loosen the inlet side. Removed the bolt and copper washers, cover the line with a plastic bag and set it aside .
with these loose I proceeded to loosen the filter from the mounting position to get access to the rear banjo bolts. I was able to reach in the manifold a 1/4" drive ratchet and socket, loosen the mount pinch bolt and pried it open with a screwdriver to free the filter can .
Now with the filter can loose it is possible to reach in and blindly unscrew the rear banjo bolt using surgical skill not to drop the banjo bolt onto the crack of the starter motor. even if you drop the copper washers no biggie the fuel filter kit has new copper washers .
once the rear banjo is off its out and installation is reverse of dissasembly
started with BLINDLY reaching in with one hand, stacking the copper washer on the bolt, threading it into the fuel line banjo fitting, put on the next copper washer and poke into the filter, etc, etc
Old 12-14-2011, 06:50 AM   #23
Tacoma TSS
dalesrn is one of the sharper tools in the sheddalesrn is one of the sharper tools in the sheddalesrn is one of the sharper tools in the sheddalesrn is one of the sharper tools in the sheddalesrn is one of the sharper tools in the sheddalesrn is one of the sharper tools in the sheddalesrn is one of the sharper tools in the sheddalesrn is one of the sharper tools in the sheddalesrn is one of the sharper tools in the sheddalesrn is one of the sharper tools in the sheddalesrn is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dale
dalesrn's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by edubb View Post
My 2008 taco has a inline fuel filter in the engine compartment.Maybe a add on??
Anyone have this similar situation?
I have the same thing, but I do not know what type of filter to put on there.
Old 12-20-2011, 12:28 PM   #24
JavaJoe1 is on a distinguished road

Name: Joe
JavaJoe1's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jandrews View Post
This. It also hurts my head when people want to change the fuel filters in their Toyota vehicles.

Toyota designed their EFI system from the beginning to NEVER need a fuel filter change, and if you read up on how it was designed, it truly never needs to be, unless you're dumping creek mud down your gas filler.

Here is why:

http://www.supramania.com/forums/con...el-filter-myth

^^
This
Old 12-20-2011, 01:08 PM   #25
hetkind is one of the sharper tools in the shedhetkind is one of the sharper tools in the shedhetkind is one of the sharper tools in the shedhetkind is one of the sharper tools in the shedhetkind is one of the sharper tools in the shedhetkind is one of the sharper tools in the shedhetkind is one of the sharper tools in the shedhetkind is one of the sharper tools in the shedhetkind is one of the sharper tools in the shedhetkind is one of the sharper tools in the shedhetkind is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Army: Defense Contract Management Agency
Name: Howard
hetkind's Tacoma Gallery
Interesting reference on the fuel filters...I replaced the one on my 94 pickup due to hot stall condition I thought was fuel...it turned out to be an internally rusted coil...the coil mount rusted and got moisture into the potted coil, causing the hot stall. It took me over a year to find the problem...

Howard
Old 04-10-2012, 05:57 PM   #26
boshak is a splendid one to beholdboshak is a splendid one to beholdboshak is a splendid one to beholdboshak is a splendid one to beholdboshak is a splendid one to beholdboshak is a splendid one to beholdboshak is a splendid one to behold

Name: Tony
boshak's Tacoma Gallery
How can I remove the guides under the cab? See the picture...

I tried compressing the clips latching onto the bolt threads but that didn't work... I must be doing something wrong.
Attached Thumbnails
Fuel filter replacement-img_1537.jpg  
Old 06-15-2012, 07:05 AM   #27
ASE Master Tech
BamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: M1A2 hull/turret technician, 4th Maint Btn. 4th FSSG.
Name: Bill
BamaToy1997's Tacoma Gallery
Saw this thread and figured I would contribute a little bit myself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 75thrangertaco View Post
dodge has been doing it since the 90s, all the manufacturers are trending toward this, it sux but what can you do.its called planned obsolecense. this lowers the service life of the entire fuel system from the pump to the injectors. therfore they sell more parts, also imagine the savings toyota had not having to buy a one dollar fuel filter for the millions of cars and trucks they make every year,not to mention having to pay workers to install them on the line.as far as the filter being part of the pump.. most cases thats crap. its usualy a screen that mounts to the bottom of the unit and its pretty coarse.its only ment to keep the larger particles out of the pump.i have taken apart several pump moduals, although not from a taco. i have never found any other filter inside other than the one stated above.as far as the fuel cooling the pump. this is verry true and i try not to let it get below 1/8th tank. remember your pump sits in the lowest part of the tank called the sump section.this is also your reserve.like when your truck reads empty you still have a little fuel left and its more than enough to cover the pump. you just dont want to run out, as the impellers inside the pump itself are usualy plastic composite.they burn up and you lose pressure and volume.sorry about the long post lol
I have to put out my opinion (which is just like yours, an opinion) That your theory on why the manufacturers do the things they do is so they can sell more parts, is more a conspiracy theory, and not based on fact. The engineers are there to follow EPA and government standards, while trying to make a vehicle that will last, and cost the manufacturer less money to produce. Simple economics of a business. They are not out to "plan" a part to fail in a certain amount of time. That is my opinion, and it is based on over 20 years of working in the industry, as well as for different manufacturers.

As for why almost ALL manufacturers (not just Dodge, Ford, Toyota, GM) have gone to the internal fuel filter, it is for several reasons, one of them being longevity. Your fuel filter should not need to be serviced if it is the internal design. This means it helps the owner in MOST driving conditions and situations to save money. No fuel filter changes needed every 30k miles means a savings of nearly $600 over the lifetime of a vehicle, assuming the vehicle reaches 200k miles, which is not unheard of anymore in today's automobiles. This alone disproves the "planned obsolescence" to get more money idea.

Why put it in the tank? Today's fuels are typically much cleaner, and the federal standards for fuel stations have become more strict than ever. This means that in a TYPICAL life of a vehicle, the fuel system does not get much "trash" in it anymore. Also the fuel pumps have a much tighter tolerance and in order to retain their efficiency, need to be sure that the fuel is "pre-filtered" before the pump gets it. Trash in pump equals failed pumps in the future. Therefore the need to have a better pre-filter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Soul View Post
I read somewhere here on the forum for preventive future maintenance requirements- to refill your gas on 2nd gen tacos before the fuel level gets to low because the fuel pump is in the tank and uses the gas to keep itself cool. this would obviously be more important during the summer time..
While I always say you should never allow your fuel level to get below a quarter tank for purely personal reasons such as if you refuel at 1/4 tank then you never risk "pushing it" and running out of gas, or not able to find a good station before it is too late. Not to mention no matter where you live, there are always storms and power outages. Don't want to have a near empty tank after a freak storm knocks out power to all the local gas stations. Although the semi-recent law requiring fueling stations to have backup generators does reduce the risk.
The fuel pump cools itself by flowing fuel through the motor housing. This alone is sufficient enough to keep it running cool. The pump does gain some cooling from being immersed in the fuel, but it is not required. Manufacturer's tolerances take all of this into account.

As a side note, I simply state that all the information I give is based on my years of experience in the industry itself. My opinions are not based on conjecture or any "theory" that I hear from any sources. They are based on what I personally have observed in my career.
Old 08-15-2012, 07:46 AM   #28
1tacoman is on a distinguished road
Name: Tony
1tacoman's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Yahoo to 1tacoman Send a message via Skype™ to 1tacoman
I have a 2000 Taco with 2.7l engine. The fuel filter is located on the driver side of the engine block under the intake manifold, the easiest way to replace it is remove the driver side front tire and reach in thru the fender well. By the way I replaced mine at 323,000 miles after having what I thought was a fuel problem causing a skip. Turned out the filter was fine it was an electrical problem. Got the filter at the local parts store for $19.95
Old 08-19-2012, 06:09 AM   #29
tomyota is on a distinguished road
tomyota's Tacoma Gallery
Tip

If you remove the fuel cap it will relieve the pressure in the system. Less gas will squirt out of the filter lines.
Old 02-09-2013, 01:04 PM   #30
jgillchevy is on a distinguished road
Army: Retired 11B 1SG
Name: Dan
jgillchevy's Tacoma Gallery
@ edubb and dalesrn,
I know this is an old thread,.....but what you guys are looking at is NOT an inline fuel filter. Whatever it is I have the same thing on my 2011, I called my local dealer and they told me what it was, forgot now what they said.
All 2nd gen trucks have the in tank filter only, unless you have the URD pump/filter upgrade kit installed.
Old 03-21-2013, 11:33 AM   #31
henrilepuf is on a distinguished road
Name: henri
henrilepuf's Tacoma Gallery
I have a 2008 TRD Sport, with 50k miles, and I had to replace twice the in-tank Unit pump/filter. After read the posts on this forum, I can note that none owner of Tacoma meet with this issue...
Anyone have similar situation, or anyone can give me some advice ???
Old 03-27-2013, 02:02 PM   #32
frog13 is on a distinguished road
frog13's Tacoma Gallery
Fuel pumps do fail......had one fail on the 2007 FJ cruiser we have....at around 40K miles...yea,I know"no way"....yes way!......Toyota tech was astonished also!.
Old 11-29-2013, 01:53 PM   #33
Tenalquot is on a distinguished road
Tenalquot's Tacoma Gallery
I replaced the original fuel filter at 240k on my '99. The stumble it had at idle cleared up immediately. I always use good quality gas, but after 10 years it was apparently close to done.
Old 04-03-2014, 05:16 PM   #34
dispatch55126 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddispatch55126 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddispatch55126 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddispatch55126 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddispatch55126 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddispatch55126 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddispatch55126 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddispatch55126 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddispatch55126 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddispatch55126 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddispatch55126 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
dispatch55126's Tacoma Gallery
It should be mentioned that if you ever have to replace a fuel pump to also CHECK YOUR TANK. On my previous truck, the fuel pump failed so I had to go through the process of dropping and replacing it. A week later, I noticed a fuel leak coming from the tank so I had to drop it again and found a rusted out hole near the fuel spout. It would have saved me alot of hassle if I had simply inspected everything when I had it apart.
Old 07-31-2014, 10:14 AM   #35
Heepspo is on a distinguished road

Army: Veteran
Name: Jason
Heepspo's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomyota View Post
If you remove the fuel cap it will relieve the pressure in the system. Less gas will squirt out of the filter lines.
False. The pressure in the tank is unrelated to the pressure exerted BEYOND the fuel pump as the gas is pressurized to your engine.