Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Technical Chat

Notices

The minimum octane rating gasoline that should be used in my vehicle

Old 01-11-2011, 07:07 PM   #21
GiverDeaner is on a distinguished road
Name: Kevin
GiverDeaner's Tacoma Gallery
The way understand it is that modern engine managment systems control the ignition timing by advancing the timeing to the point of spark knock then retard it slightly as to not cause damage to the engine.The vehicles ecu is doing this many times a second.Like most all things that the ecu monitors and controls in todays cars it is for reducing emissions.The more spark advance the more power(to a certain point).The harder the piston is pushed down the less fuel needed for a given unit of work.Or something like that.
Old 02-08-2011, 07:25 PM   #22
glwood6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedglwood6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedglwood6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedglwood6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedglwood6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedglwood6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedglwood6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedglwood6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedglwood6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedglwood6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedglwood6 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Gary
glwood6's Tacoma Gallery
In the altitude of Albuquerque, it seems that they use 86 octane for regular, 88 for mid-range and 90 for premium. I have used mid range for the last few years, but I filled up with regular on a tank not that long ago, and I cannot tell any difference...is 86 acceptable?
Old 02-08-2011, 07:32 PM   #23
I sell fishing and fishing accessories
wildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Name: Joe
wildjerseyfirefighter's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to wildjerseyfirefighter
i use mid grade(89).lasts longer then regular, and premimum is to expensive.
Old 03-02-2011, 07:03 PM   #24
zuckdan is on a distinguished road
zuckdan's Tacoma Gallery
out here in colorado we have 85 octane. been using that on my brand new 2011 v6 for three tankfulls. i live at 7500 ft and most of my driving takes me higher and higher and higher. Just hit $3.06 for 85 octane
Old 03-21-2011, 05:51 PM   #25
KevLot17 will become famous soon enoughKevLot17 will become famous soon enough

Name: Kevin
KevLot17's Tacoma Gallery
ok i just found this thread and i feel like i should put my 2 cents in for anyone that is still sub'd or looks at it in the future.... fuel prices recently spiked as we all know, here in NEPA, were paying $3.59(87) $3.69(91) and $3.79(93)

So here are all of my culculations and inputs..

First off, in ANY 'small engine', (i.e. Lawnmower, weedwacker, ATV, etc) if the fuel in your area contains ANY bit of Ethanol, never use anything less than 93 octane. Ethanol breaks down and leaves deposits in the carburator and makes it run like crap or not run at all (seen this in my 400EX AND my brand new pressure washer, also in my buddies lawnmower) when i fill up a 5 gallon jug with 93 i always add a few ounces of Sta-Bil Ethanol treatment. This has helped everything run way better.

Next, in my Tacoma...
87 octane w/ 10% ethanol, 17.5 Avg MPG
91 octane, 18.9 MPG

SAME driving styles, same roads/speeds everyday so please no (Negative) input stating im probably doing different things.
With these statistics, ive calculated how much it cost per gallon.
I am saving 1 Cent PER MILE
Doesnt seem like much, but in 100 Miles thats $1.
So in each fill up thats $3
I Avg 20-22K miles per year, you will save an estimated $200.
with the economy these days.. ill take 1 Cent per mile!!!!!!

(Edited)
Old 03-26-2012, 09:22 PM   #26
初音ミク #1 Fan, and Bacon Wrapped Hot Dog Cook
Cadha13 is on a distinguished road

Name: David
Cadha13's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Cadha13 Send a message via Skype™ to Cadha13
I read in a owner's manual for a 1986 Caprice and in a manual for a 2000 Impala (it's old, but the car had electronic spark control not much different than any Tacoma) saying that higher the altitude the lower the octane reading you can use, but I see a pattern that the gas at say, LA has a higher minimum octane rating than say here at the 5000 ft altitude of Albuquerque, NM. From what I figure that the higher air densities require higher octane levels to prevent knock same for any higher compression or supercharged car. This makes sense from what the manuals are saying.
Old 04-15-2012, 02:23 PM   #27
Dcd5907 is a jewel in the roughDcd5907 is a jewel in the roughDcd5907 is a jewel in the roughDcd5907 is a jewel in the rough
Name: Anthony
Dcd5907's Tacoma Gallery
Keeping tight records using fuelly I noticed this, using 87 engien runs a bit ruff, under load or highway driving it prob runs like its meant to. Mpgs averaged fro 17 to 19. Using 89 smoothed out at idle and highway cruising speeds and yielded same mpg, next I mooved to 91, same smoothness with 87 but deff felt like I lost bottom end power but gained top end. 3.25 k and up when u punch it out it's almost like I add a power added or somthing. My mpgs also averaged from 18 to 22. Next I tried 93, deff increese in top end but mpg stayed around the same.
This was all don using shell gas the same station using the same pump in southern ny. Over a 4 month span. When between octanes I ran the truck till the light came on and didn't record my results till the next fill up.
Old 07-01-2013, 10:14 PM   #28
mr2mki is one of the sharper tools in the shedmr2mki is one of the sharper tools in the shedmr2mki is one of the sharper tools in the shedmr2mki is one of the sharper tools in the shedmr2mki is one of the sharper tools in the shedmr2mki is one of the sharper tools in the shedmr2mki is one of the sharper tools in the shedmr2mki is one of the sharper tools in the shedmr2mki is one of the sharper tools in the shedmr2mki is one of the sharper tools in the shedmr2mki is one of the sharper tools in the shed
mr2mki's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by zuckdan View Post
out here in colorado we have 85 octane. been using that on my brand new 2011 v6 for three tankfulls. i live at 7500 ft and most of my driving takes me higher and higher and higher. Just hit $3.06 for 85 octane
Note that the key is the altitude. Those of you who live at sea level, don't try 85 octane
Old 01-20-2014, 08:06 AM   #29
LazyLightning is on a distinguished road
LazyLightning's Tacoma Gallery
Low Octane

Interesting comments. I have a 2014 DC. When I first purchased it I was running high octane. Then I switched to low octane and I swear the truck runs better. Some factors to consider.... I'm at sea level, truck only has 1,200 miles on it, I'm in CA.
Old 02-06-2014, 03:28 PM   #30
Johnny2525 is on a distinguished road
Johnny2525's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by genxer36 View Post
Taken from the Toyota website

You can find the recommended fuel octane rating for your vehicle on the back cover of your Owner's Manual.

Our "current model" year vehicles have the following unleaded fuel octane rating recommendations:

MODEL OCTANE

4Runner

Avalon - 87*

Camry
4 Cylinder/Hybrid - 87
V6 - 87

Corolla - 87

FJ Cruiser - 91

Highlander
V6/Hybrid - 87

Land Cruiser - 87

Matrix - 87

Prius - 87

RAV4
4 Cylinder - 87
V6 - 87

Sequoia - 87

Sienna - 87

Solara
4 Cylinder - 87
V6 - 87*

Tacoma
4 Cylinder - 87
V6 - 87

Tundra - 87

Yaris - 87

* For improved vehicle performance, the use of premium unleaded gasoline with an octane rating of 91 or higher is recommended.
My 2014 Tacoma manual says DO NOT use 91 Octane.
Old 02-06-2014, 03:28 PM   #31
My 2014 Tacoma manual says DO NOT use 91 Octane
Old 02-06-2014, 03:35 PM   #32
I've done... questionable things.
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
The minimum octane rating gasoline that should be used in my vehicle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny2525 View Post
My 2014 Tacoma manual says DO NOT use 91 Octane

wut

Post a pic
Old 02-07-2014, 07:40 AM   #33
Sorry man, i lied...I hate it when that happens. It just says to research 91 or higher. I have a reading lesson tomorrow.
Old 03-22-2014, 10:29 PM   #34
RileySB
rileySB is one of the sharper tools in the shedrileySB is one of the sharper tools in the shedrileySB is one of the sharper tools in the shedrileySB is one of the sharper tools in the shedrileySB is one of the sharper tools in the shedrileySB is one of the sharper tools in the shedrileySB is one of the sharper tools in the shedrileySB is one of the sharper tools in the shedrileySB is one of the sharper tools in the shedrileySB is one of the sharper tools in the shedrileySB is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS:
Name: Gen
rileySB's Tacoma Gallery
Just got back from a road trip in Utah. Found it odd that they sell 85 octane. My first tank in Utah I got so excited by the cheap price of gas 3.39 for the reg unleaded and I was so sleep deprived that I filled up using 85. Thankfully had thrown in a Techron Fuel Injector cleaner (not sure if it helps with the low octane) with that tank so I feel better about using sub-par octane in my 2013. Just curious if any utah tacoma drivers actually use the 85 octane.
Old 03-22-2014, 10:38 PM   #35
worthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shed

worthywads's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by rileySB View Post
Just got back from a road trip in Utah. Found it odd that they sell 85 octane. My first tank in Utah I got so excited by the cheap price of gas 3.39 for the reg unleaded and I was so sleep deprived that I filled up using 85. Thankfully had thrown in a Techron Fuel Injector cleaner (not sure if it helps with the low octane) with that tank so I feel better about using sub-par octane in my 2013. Just curious if any utah tacoma drivers actually use the 85 octane.
Yes, no need for higher at altitude.