Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Technical Chat

Notices

On board shower using exhaust heat?

Old 06-25-2014, 09:07 PM   #21
OldAsShit
Andy.G is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndy.G is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndy.G is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndy.G is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndy.G is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndy.G is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndy.G is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndy.G is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndy.G is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndy.G is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndy.G is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Andy
Andy.G's Tacoma Gallery
I see what you are after now. I converted my houses to on demand hot water.(Renai). Uses almost nothing to ignite,just need pressurized water source. But what you are after looks totally cool.
Old 06-26-2014, 11:02 PM   #24
          
skygear is one of the sharper tools in the shedskygear is one of the sharper tools in the shedskygear is one of the sharper tools in the shedskygear is one of the sharper tools in the shedskygear is one of the sharper tools in the shedskygear is one of the sharper tools in the shedskygear is one of the sharper tools in the shedskygear is one of the sharper tools in the shedskygear is one of the sharper tools in the shedskygear is one of the sharper tools in the shedskygear is one of the sharper tools in the shed

skygear's Tacoma Gallery
Wow. um... just make sure theres a Heatshield where you decide to put the copper if you do.
Old 06-30-2014, 10:42 PM   #26
          
skygear is one of the sharper tools in the shedskygear is one of the sharper tools in the shedskygear is one of the sharper tools in the shedskygear is one of the sharper tools in the shedskygear is one of the sharper tools in the shedskygear is one of the sharper tools in the shedskygear is one of the sharper tools in the shedskygear is one of the sharper tools in the shedskygear is one of the sharper tools in the shedskygear is one of the sharper tools in the shedskygear is one of the sharper tools in the shed

skygear's Tacoma Gallery
Son, you're gunna shoot your eye out with that thing.
Old 06-30-2014, 10:44 PM   #27
          

skygear's Tacoma Gallery
I'm opting for the larger surface area version and less plates as to not hinder the flow/ run into pressure issues
Old 06-30-2014, 10:52 PM   #28
Future President
Spencer is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpencer is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpencer is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpencer is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpencer is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpencer is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpencer is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpencer is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpencer is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpencer is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpencer is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: TIGGLEBITTIES
Spencer's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by skygear View Post
I'm opting for the larger surface area version and less plates as to not hinder the flow/ run into pressure issues

While I agree with your logic,
I could whip out my nitrogen flow meter test gear from work & give a legitimate figure as to the resistance of this thing

Or I could just tell you I went the old fashioned way and blew really hard in one end & felt very little resistance.
I'm not sure exactly what pressure / flow rate the stock system circulates at, but I think this is gonna work perfectly.

I'm about halfway through wrestling with putting fiberglass on it so expect a slow update for a couple days.
I've gotta get this thing done before deer season opens though we're camping outta this truck for 8 days!
Old 07-01-2014, 09:33 PM   #29
          

skygear's Tacoma Gallery
It was mentioned before me
Old 07-01-2014, 09:46 PM   #30
Future President
Spencer is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpencer is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpencer is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpencer is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpencer is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpencer is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpencer is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpencer is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpencer is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpencer is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpencer is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Spencer's Tacoma Gallery
Step one:
Find a spot for your heat exchanger
I chose next to the battery- close to the splices on the heater core hose & out of the way.

This doodad was in the way.
Found this

Appears to be the fuel pump resistor & safe to relocate without screwing with VSC or airbags etc

You need to pull it up, remove this L bracket, flip it over to mount upside down & put it off toward the fender in the hole that the wire loom clip was in.

Here's where it went.

Wires around it were zip tied up away from it for safety- this thing has heat sink fins on it for a reason & I don't want to know why when it's too late.
Old 07-02-2014, 06:33 AM   #32
tweeek has much to be proud oftweeek has much to be proud oftweeek has much to be proud oftweeek has much to be proud oftweeek has much to be proud oftweeek has much to be proud oftweeek has much to be proud oftweeek has much to be proud oftweeek has much to be proud of
tweeek's Tacoma Gallery
I built a onboard shower using the same concept.

You will need a thermostatic mixing valve on the output. If you turn the shower off to lather/conserve water or something, the water will sit in the heat exchanger and become scaulding hot. It can severly burn you for the first few seconds!! With all those plates in that beast of an exchanger, I would seriosuly consider a thermostatic mixing valve. Will prevent scaulding and maintain a regulated temp. Especially if other people are going to want to use it (they will)

They aren't cheap, but nothing in the project is. Worth the $$ though.

I found you need to raise your engine idle slightly too. 1050 to 1100 seems to work fine. At idle, I find the engine doesn't circulate enough hot water to get the shower water more than lukewarm. A camera tripod against the seat works nicely

I have used mine many times now. It works flawlessly, and is amazingly refreshing. Great backcountry camping mod. Let me know of you have any questions.
Old 07-02-2014, 01:36 PM   #33
Must go to Mountains, Desert
Crom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mr. Sir
Crom's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spencer View Post

I'm about halfway through wrestling with putting fiberglass on it so expect a slow update for a couple days.
Spencer, what is the purpose of the fiberglass and where are you using it?

Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tweeek View Post

I have used mine many times now. It works flawlessly, and is amazingly refreshing. Great backcountry camping mod. Let me know of you have any questions.
Curious about your setup. Did you write it up by chance? I've seen quoted posts by yourself in Skygear's On Board Water thread.
Old 07-02-2014, 02:57 PM   #34
          

skygear's Tacoma Gallery
If you click on the view original if you are on tapatalk, it takes you to the original thread/post. Same if you click the little blue arrow in the quoted text on a computer
Old 07-02-2014, 07:17 PM   #35
Future President

Spencer's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tweeek View Post
I built a onboard shower using the same concept.

You will need a thermostatic mixing valve on the output. If you turn the shower off to lather/conserve water or something, the water will sit in the heat exchanger and become scaulding hot. It can severly burn you for the first few seconds!! With all those plates in that beast of an exchanger, I would seriosuly consider a thermostatic mixing valve. Will prevent scaulding and maintain a regulated temp. Especially if other people are going to want to use it (they will)

They aren't cheap, but nothing in the project is. Worth the $$ though.

I found you need to raise your engine idle slightly too. 1050 to 1100 seems to work fine. At idle, I find the engine doesn't circulate enough hot water to get the shower water more than lukewarm. A camera tripod against the seat works nicely

I've got a thermostatic mixing valve just for this purpose! Glad to know I'm on the right track.
My question now is
Which of these is the supply / return? More specifically, which way does the water flow? My setup is using a 3 way ball valve & a hydraulic check valve so if I do it right, I'll have an idiot proof bypass & if I do it wrong, I'll have a busted tacoma.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crom View Post
Spencer, what is the purpose of the fiberglass and where are you using it?

Thanks.

glass was just another project I'm working on. Unrelated except it takes my time away from this.

Curious about your setup. Did you write it up by chance? I've seen quoted posts by yourself in Skygear's On Board Water thread.

Any help would be appreciated! Standing here with fittings in Hand scratching my head
Old 07-02-2014, 07:24 PM   #36
tweeek has much to be proud oftweeek has much to be proud oftweeek has much to be proud oftweeek has much to be proud oftweeek has much to be proud oftweeek has much to be proud oftweeek has much to be proud oftweeek has much to be proud oftweeek has much to be proud of
tweeek's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I've got a thermostatic mixing valve just for this purpose! Glad to know I'm on the right track.
My question now is
Which of these is the supply / return? More specifically, which way does the water flow? My setup is using a 3 way ball valve & a hydraulic check valve so if I do it right, I'll have an idiot proof bypass & if I do it wrong, I'll have a busted tacoma.

Any help would be appreciated! Standing here with fittings in Hand scratching my head
As far as I know, the top is input to heater core and bottom is return. I tapped into the bottom line, right where the factory splice is (why did they do that? ?)

All I did to verify was turn the heater fan on full blast, the bottom hose was noticeably cooler. You may want to verify if you are using a check valve, why is the check valve necessary?
Old 07-02-2014, 08:05 PM   #37
Future President

Spencer's Tacoma Gallery

This.

My design has a check valve & one three way valve (labelled but not pictured )
That way, it's idiot proof. No matter which way you turn it, engine is getting circulation. No chance of accidentally turning them shut & damaging something. And in case of damage, anyone could pop the hood throw the valve and keep it running.
Old 07-03-2014, 07:12 PM   #39
Must go to Mountains, Desert
Crom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mr. Sir
Crom's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

Here goes nothin
Spencer, does that heat exchanger use 1/2" hose barbs? Is it model B3-12A?

Did you find out what sized fittings the Tacoma uses in the factory heater core hoses?

Edit: According to a search at auto parts online the Tacoma factory heater hose is 5/8". Can you confirm that?

Thanks is advance.
Old 07-03-2014, 09:14 PM   #40
Future President

Spencer's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crom View Post
Spencer, does that heat exchanger use 1/2" hose barbs? Is it model B3-12A?

Did you find out what sized fittings the Tacoma uses in the factory heater core hoses?

Edit: According to a search at auto parts online the Tacoma factory heater hose is 5/8". Can you confirm that?

Thanks is advance.

I got the 1/2" barbed model heat exchange to save me 4 fittings.

The stock hose fits 5/8.... But not as tight as I'd like.
I'm gonna use a good set of hose clamps & should be fine. It's likely some metric size I don't have access to readily in the states.
But I worry too much as is. It works fine.