1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

On board shower using exhaust heat?

Discussion in 'Technical Chat' started by Spencer, Jun 24, 2014.

1. Jun 24, 2014 at 4:31 PM
    Spencer

Spencer [OP] Future President

Member:
    First Name:
    TIGGLEBITTIES
    Upland, Chino... all of 909.
    Vehicle:
    2013 DCSB 4X4 6cyl Sex Machine
    Redline hood lift, Flyzeye cabin lights, tailgate lock, SPOD Power block, VIAR onboard air, Cobra CB radio, Firestick 4' Antenna, Hot Blonde CoPilot Mod, SIX 9" Hella 4000 HID conversion with external 55W ballasts, Six 6" LED bars, Napier Bed Tent, Mudflaps delete using rocks, Roof rack by Brute force, Rock sliders by Brute force, Bed LED lights, Underhood LED automatic lights, Constant 12V bed plug, Rugged race radio, ICON uniball UCA's, KING 2.5 700 rate coilovers, Deaver rear leaf springs, KING 2.5 resi rear shocks (Flat 0.15 stack on compression shims), Scangauge, Empty wallet Mod Bug disease, AllPro Apex front bumper, On board heat exchange shower & water pump (Heater Core intercept mod), On Board Air - Viair for now, ARB when it dies-, allpro Skids back to gas tank- Tepui RTT on the shittiest "Bed Rack" ever made.... AllPro U Bolt flip kit with timbren bumps NEXT UP- expo leafs & bed rack, hydraulic bumps in rear, Total Chaos stock LCA's w/ Bypass, Rear 12" shock hoop relocate
    Drinking beer in my garage & noticed my zodi propane shower is sitting next to a 12v RV water pump & a big coil of copper hose...

Why couldn't I wrap coils of copper line around a safe spot on the exhaust, solder it to the pipe & plumb that pump to it? Temperature control would have to be engineered later but I could in theory pull up to a stream, throw a hose in and bam. Hot shower with no fuss.

Seems too simple to have not seen it before... What's wrong with this idea?

2. Jun 24, 2014 at 4:33 PM
    Boone

Boone Vaginas are rad.

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Boone, NC
    Vehicle:
    Airbags deployed
    Possibly the amount of heat retained by the copper that would/could affect other components?:notsure:

3. Jun 24, 2014 at 5:02 PM
    Spencer

Member:
    First Name:
    TIGGLEBITTIES
    Vehicle:
    Redline hood lift, Flyzeye cabin lights, tailgate lock, SPOD Power block, VIAR onboard air, Cobra CB radio, Firestick 4' Antenna, Hot Blonde CoPilot Mod, SIX 9" Hella 4000 HID conversion with external 55W ballasts, Six 6" LED bars, Napier Bed Tent, Mudflaps delete using rocks, Roof rack by Brute force, Rock sliders by Brute force, Bed LED lights, Underhood LED automatic lights, Constant 12V bed plug, Rugged race radio, ICON uniball UCA's, KING 2.5 700 rate coilovers, Deaver rear leaf springs, KING 2.5 resi rear shocks (Flat 0.15 stack on compression shims), Scangauge, Empty wallet Mod Bug disease, AllPro Apex front bumper, On board heat exchange shower & water pump (Heater Core intercept mod), On Board Air - Viair for now, ARB when it dies-, allpro Skids back to gas tank- Tepui RTT on the shittiest "Bed Rack" ever made.... AllPro U Bolt flip kit with timbren bumps NEXT UP- expo leafs & bed rack, hydraulic bumps in rear, Total Chaos stock LCA's w/ Bypass, Rear 12" shock hoop relocate
    I think that's the only thing stopping me from trying this.... But having cold exhaust couldn't hurt... Right?
    I imagine cooling the headers would do something Ill-advised

Or maybe cold exhaust hitting the cat would mess with it? Hmm

4. Jun 24, 2014 at 5:05 PM
    Spencer

Member:
    First Name:
    TIGGLEBITTIES
    Vehicle:
    I've found a bunch of threads exploring this idea
    But they all implement a holding tank, which compounds the complexity.

My plan is one long intake hose to throw into water going to the pump.
    Then the hose splits, one line to the exhaust, the other straight, meeting again at some kinda hot/ cold valve like an RV.

5. Jun 24, 2014 at 5:09 PM
    avw4x4

avw4x4 Well-Hung Member

Member:
    First Name:
    (M)Andrew
    Rochester, NY
    Vehicle:
    2003 Yota
    ...loading....
    Interesting for sure, it can't be more harmful to the exhaust pipes than driving through water I wouldn't think.

As Boone suggested, maybe put heat shields around the coils to protect other things from heating up? :notsure:

6. Jun 24, 2014 at 5:22 PM
    Large

Large Red

Member:
    Hmm, this actually sounds ingenious. The only difference between this and an on-board water system is the OBW uses a block that attaches to the engine coolant line. If you could figure out a way to regulate the temp of the water you might have a pretty good idea there.

7. Jun 24, 2014 at 5:29 PM
    Boone

Boone Vaginas are rad.

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Boone, NC
    Vehicle:
    Airbags deployed
    What about a thermostat? Available pretty much anywhere and it does a pretty decent job at opening at a specific temperature. Could see if you could find one cool enough to operate at a temp that wouldn't fry you. Or if not plumb hot and cold H2O together. Shots in the dark here.

8. Jun 24, 2014 at 5:30 PM
    avw4x4

avw4x4 Well-Hung Member

Member:
    First Name:
    (M)Andrew
    Rochester, NY
    Vehicle:
    2003 Yota
    ...loading....
    Split pressure between stream water and heated water? European faucet style lol

9. Jun 24, 2014 at 5:33 PM
    Boone

Boone Vaginas are rad.

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Boone, NC
    Vehicle:
    Airbags deployed
    Or South American Widowmaker without the electricity. Some freaky shit the first time you see it. Novelty wears off in a few weeks though.

10. Jun 24, 2014 at 5:38 PM
    avw4x4

avw4x4 Well-Hung Member

Member:
    First Name:
    (M)Andrew
    Rochester, NY
    Vehicle:
    2003 Yota
    ...loading....
    Never heard of it... Based on the name I fail to see the novelty ;)

11. Jun 24, 2014 at 5:48 PM
    "OldManTan"

"OldManTan" Bye bloody Taco... Hello MGM Burrito!

Member:
    Buffalo, NY
    Vehicle:
    '16 Tundra DC
    Holy chit, I've done a lot already!!
    When we were frequenting Nascar races more often, I built a hot water heater out of copper tube. We used a turkey fryer bottom and a plastic tote. Get water, fill up tote, heat water in tote until comfortable. Take heater out of equation, bam nice warm shower. It is more messing around, but the copper tube I had, and we used the totes to transport items. Couldn't get water warm enough without recirculating it. Although we never got a willing victim to take a nude shower for us, we thoroughly enjoyed it. I will say, it was easier to have a second person working the power cord while you were in the shower. I even made a pvc setup to go inside our portable shower tent. I can try and get pics if desired.

12. Jun 24, 2014 at 5:56 PM
    jmaack

jmaack Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Helena Alabama
    Vehicle:
    Skewped hood silver 4runner
    Ome, Sqeak free dakars, arms, skids, sliders.
    I think an exchanger tied in with cooling system would be much better. I remember seeing kits years back.fo

13. Jun 24, 2014 at 6:17 PM
    Boone

Boone Vaginas are rad.

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Boone, NC
    Vehicle:
    Airbags deployed
    Here's your novelty, and this one is pretty fancy
    [​IMG]
    Electrical current to heat water for showers.

14. Jun 24, 2014 at 6:41 PM
    Spencer

Member:
    First Name:
    TIGGLEBITTIES
    Vehicle:
    I was thinking rather than trying to find some thermocoupler thing or make it more complex, just plumb from the Y directly after the pump - one to the heat exchange and one directly to the "cold" knob on one of those RV shower heads - and the output from the heat exchange to the hot - that way if it does get too hot you just turn that down and let more cold water flow in... super simple, only two failure points possible.

15. Jun 24, 2014 at 7:00 PM
    Spencer

Member:
    First Name:
    TIGGLEBITTIES
    Vehicle:
  16. Jun 25, 2014 at 7:51 AM
    Andy.G

Andy.G Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Andy
    Virginia
    Vehicle:
    96 tacoma sx 4x4 2.7 5 speed
    Started automatic. Swapped to manual
    Why not just buy a hot water heater element and drop into a suitable container and run by power inverter? I have also been on 4 remote fly-in trips where we used solar showers. Even a garden hose Black laid out at camp with both ends strapped up filled with water is an amazing hot water source.

17. Jun 25, 2014 at 6:30 PM
    Spencer

Member:
    First Name:
    TIGGLEBITTIES
    Vehicle:

because this
    http://www.brazetek.com/products/de...t-exchangers/20-plate-brazed-heat-exchanger-1

liquid - liquid heat exchanger, plumbed in to the heater core, which on '13 models is constantly circulating 190 degree heat - should keep up with my RV shower water pump & give me HOT water with one push button. it'll be a bitch to install, but once done should be the most reliable, hot and low maintenance setup.

Can anyone point me to which of the hoses are the hot ones? either on heater core, or on the input to the radiator .

18. Jun 25, 2014 at 6:32 PM
    Spencer

Member:
    First Name:
    TIGGLEBITTIES
    Vehicle:
    Besides, I've already got my ZODI propane shower- works great, and I hard wired it for my bed 12V plug for constant power and converted it to run on a full size propane bottle. It's the best I can possibly get before doing this project

19. Jun 25, 2014 at 6:39 PM
    ckeene9

ckeene9 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Chesterfield, VA
    Vehicle:
    '12 DCSB Supercharged 4x4 TRD Sport
    See Build Thread
    I was on a dive boat a few weeks ago that used that exact concept, worked great and made for some nice hot showers.

20. Jun 25, 2014 at 8:08 PM
    Spencer

Member:
    First Name:
    TIGGLEBITTIES
    Vehicle:

Just the encouragement I wanted to hear ;) I'm about two beers away from dropping my credit card on a couple websites & getting the parts together.

Products Discussed in

To Top