Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Technical Chat

Notices

On board shower using exhaust heat?

Old 06-24-2014, 05:31 PM   #1
Future President
Spencer is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpencer is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpencer is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpencer is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpencer is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpencer is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpencer is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpencer is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpencer is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpencer is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpencer is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: TIGGLEBITTIES
Spencer's Tacoma Gallery
On board shower using exhaust heat?

Drinking beer in my garage & noticed my zodi propane shower is sitting next to a 12v RV water pump & a big coil of copper hose...

Why couldn't I wrap coils of copper line around a safe spot on the exhaust, solder it to the pipe & plumb that pump to it? Temperature control would have to be engineered later but I could in theory pull up to a stream, throw a hose in and bam. Hot shower with no fuss.

Seems too simple to have not seen it before... What's wrong with this idea?
Old 06-24-2014, 05:33 PM   #2
Vaginas are rad.
Boone is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
Boone's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spencer View Post
Drinking beer in my garage & noticed my zodi propane shower is sitting next to a 12v RV water pump & a big coil of copper hose...

Why couldn't I wrap coils of copper line around a safe spot on the exhaust, solder it to the pipe & plumb that pump to it? Temperature control would have to be engineered later but I could in theory pull up to a stream, throw a hose in and bam. Hot shower with no fuss.

Seems too simple to have not seen it before... What's wrong with this idea?
Possibly the amount of heat retained by the copper that would/could affect other components?
Old 06-24-2014, 06:05 PM   #4
Future President
Spencer is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpencer is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpencer is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpencer is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpencer is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpencer is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpencer is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpencer is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpencer is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpencer is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpencer is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Spencer's Tacoma Gallery
I've found a bunch of threads exploring this idea
But they all implement a holding tank, which compounds the complexity.

My plan is one long intake hose to throw into water going to the pump.
Then the hose splits, one line to the exhaust, the other straight, meeting again at some kinda hot/ cold valve like an RV.
Old 06-24-2014, 06:09 PM   #5
avw4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedavw4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedavw4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedavw4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedavw4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedavw4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedavw4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedavw4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedavw4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedavw4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedavw4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Andrew
avw4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Interesting for sure, it can't be more harmful to the exhaust pipes than driving through water I wouldn't think.

As Boone suggested, maybe put heat shields around the coils to protect other things from heating up?
Old 06-24-2014, 06:22 PM   #6
Red
Large is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Large's Tacoma Gallery
Hmm, this actually sounds ingenious. The only difference between this and an on-board water system is the OBW uses a block that attaches to the engine coolant line. If you could figure out a way to regulate the temp of the water you might have a pretty good idea there.
Old 06-24-2014, 06:29 PM   #7
Vaginas are rad.
Boone is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Boone's Tacoma Gallery
What about a thermostat? Available pretty much anywhere and it does a pretty decent job at opening at a specific temperature. Could see if you could find one cool enough to operate at a temp that wouldn't fry you. Or if not plumb hot and cold H2O together. Shots in the dark here.
Old 06-24-2014, 06:30 PM   #8
avw4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedavw4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedavw4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedavw4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedavw4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedavw4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedavw4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedavw4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedavw4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedavw4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedavw4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

avw4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Split pressure between stream water and heated water? European faucet style lol
Old 06-24-2014, 06:33 PM   #9
Vaginas are rad.

Boone's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by avw4x4 View Post
Split pressure between stream water and heated water? European faucet style lol
Or South American Widowmaker without the electricity. Some freaky shit the first time you see it. Novelty wears off in a few weeks though.
Old 06-24-2014, 06:38 PM   #10

avw4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boone Taco View Post
Or South American Widowmaker without the electricity. Some freaky shit the first time you see it. Novelty wears off in a few weeks though.
Never heard of it... Based on the name I fail to see the novelty
Old 06-24-2014, 06:48 PM   #11
Now my Taco is bloody Red, ewww
"OldManTan" is one of the sharper tools in the shed"OldManTan" is one of the sharper tools in the shed"OldManTan" is one of the sharper tools in the shed"OldManTan" is one of the sharper tools in the shed"OldManTan" is one of the sharper tools in the shed"OldManTan" is one of the sharper tools in the shed"OldManTan" is one of the sharper tools in the shed"OldManTan" is one of the sharper tools in the shed"OldManTan" is one of the sharper tools in the shed"OldManTan" is one of the sharper tools in the shed"OldManTan" is one of the sharper tools in the shed

"OldManTan"'s Tacoma Gallery
When we were frequenting Nascar races more often, I built a hot water heater out of copper tube. We used a turkey fryer bottom and a plastic tote. Get water, fill up tote, heat water in tote until comfortable. Take heater out of equation, bam nice warm shower. It is more messing around, but the copper tube I had, and we used the totes to transport items. Couldn't get water warm enough without recirculating it. Although we never got a willing victim to take a nude shower for us, we thoroughly enjoyed it. I will say, it was easier to have a second person working the power cord while you were in the shower. I even made a pvc setup to go inside our portable shower tent. I can try and get pics if desired.
Old 06-24-2014, 06:56 PM   #12
<---this guy
jmaack is on a distinguished road
jmaack's Tacoma Gallery
I think an exchanger tied in with cooling system would be much better. I remember seeing kits years back.fo
Old 06-24-2014, 07:17 PM   #13
Vaginas are rad.

Boone's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by avw4x4 View Post
Never heard of it... Based on the name I fail to see the novelty
Here's your novelty, and this one is pretty fancy

Electrical current to heat water for showers.
Old 06-24-2014, 07:41 PM   #14
Future President

Spencer's Tacoma Gallery
I was thinking rather than trying to find some thermocoupler thing or make it more complex, just plumb from the Y directly after the pump - one to the heat exchange and one directly to the "cold" knob on one of those RV shower heads - and the output from the heat exchange to the hot - that way if it does get too hot you just turn that down and let more cold water flow in... super simple, only two failure points possible.
Old 06-25-2014, 08:51 AM   #16
OldAsShit
Andy.G is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndy.G is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndy.G is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndy.G is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndy.G is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndy.G is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndy.G is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndy.G is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndy.G is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndy.G is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndy.G is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Andy
Andy.G's Tacoma Gallery
Why not just buy a hot water heater element and drop into a suitable container and run by power inverter? I have also been on 4 remote fly-in trips where we used solar showers. Even a garden hose Black laid out at camp with both ends strapped up filled with water is an amazing hot water source.
Old 06-25-2014, 07:30 PM   #17
Future President

Spencer's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy.G View Post
Why not just buy a hot water heater element and drop into a suitable container and run by power inverter? I have also been on 4 remote fly-in trips where we used solar showers. Even a garden hose Black laid out at camp with both ends strapped up filled with water is an amazing hot water source.

because this
http://www.brazetek.com/products/det...at-exchanger-1

liquid - liquid heat exchanger, plumbed in to the heater core, which on '13 models is constantly circulating 190 degree heat - should keep up with my RV shower water pump & give me HOT water with one push button. it'll be a bitch to install, but once done should be the most reliable, hot and low maintenance setup.

Can anyone point me to which of the hoses are the hot ones? either on heater core, or on the input to the radiator .
Old 06-25-2014, 07:39 PM   #19
ckeene9 is one of the sharper tools in the shedckeene9 is one of the sharper tools in the shedckeene9 is one of the sharper tools in the shedckeene9 is one of the sharper tools in the shedckeene9 is one of the sharper tools in the shedckeene9 is one of the sharper tools in the shedckeene9 is one of the sharper tools in the shedckeene9 is one of the sharper tools in the shedckeene9 is one of the sharper tools in the shedckeene9 is one of the sharper tools in the shedckeene9 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

ckeene9's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spencer View Post
I was thinking rather than trying to find some thermocoupler thing or make it more complex, just plumb from the Y directly after the pump - one to the heat exchange and one directly to the "cold" knob on one of those RV shower heads - and the output from the heat exchange to the hot - that way if it does get too hot you just turn that down and let more cold water flow in... super simple, only two failure points possible.
I was on a dive boat a few weeks ago that used that exact concept, worked great and made for some nice hot showers.
Old 06-25-2014, 09:08 PM   #20
Future President

Spencer's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckeene9 View Post
I was on a dive boat a few weeks ago that used that exact concept, worked great and made for some nice hot showers.

Just the encouragement I wanted to hear I'm about two beers away from dropping my credit card on a couple websites & getting the parts together.