1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Poor design created radiator Problem on my 08 Tacoma

Discussion in 'Technical Chat' started by Wylie Tacoma, Apr 10, 2009.

1. Apr 10, 2009 at 5:34 PM
    Wylie Tacoma

Wylie Tacoma [OP] Member

Member:
    Lake Wylie SC
    Vehicle:
    08 Tacoma SR5
    Aluminum Wheels and White Letter Tires
    Strange thing happened this week! My 4 cylinder 5 speed 08 took a flying road rock to the front of the radiator spliting one of the cooling tubes. Dealer raped me for $560.00 to replace the radiator. I asked why that happened and the service writer said there is no protective under carriage to keep rocks or other debris from flying in behind the bumper and into the radiator. Sure enough I never noticed there is a very large open space and if a rock on the right bounce comes along it will trash the exposed radiator. I am really surprised Toyota designed the front end like this and I wanted to see if anyone knows of a mod that will help protect that area.
    Thanks for the help!

2. Apr 10, 2009 at 5:36 PM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    08 Red/Graphite and Satin Black
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    Skid plate?? Welcome to the board!!

3. Apr 10, 2009 at 5:37 PM
    Wylie Tacoma

Wylie Tacoma [OP] Member

Member:
    Lake Wylie SC
    Vehicle:
    08 Tacoma SR5
    Can you recommed a website where I can find a skid plate?

4. Apr 10, 2009 at 5:49 PM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    Did you truck come with the stock skid plate?? IF not- you can try here with a Buy/Sell/Trade thread to get a stock one

You can look into aftermarket gear like BudBuilt or All Pro...

5. Apr 10, 2009 at 5:52 PM
    Wylie Tacoma

Wylie Tacoma [OP] Member

Member:
    Lake Wylie SC
    Vehicle:
    08 Tacoma SR5
    It did not have one from the factory...thanks for the recommendation! I will check it out. The ones that came up when I googled skid plate are mounted too far forward. Seems to be for looks and not function. I will check out the buy/sell.

6. Apr 10, 2009 at 5:53 PM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    The stock one will cover up that space a bit. It's not an amazing skid plate for off roading but it'll protect you from rocks and what not. If you want good protection off road- Go with the budbuilts..heard nothing but good things about them and Bud is a member around here somewhere.

Glad to help..>good luck finding something to work for you...

7. Apr 10, 2009 at 5:55 PM
    Wylie Tacoma

Wylie Tacoma [OP] Member

Member:
    Lake Wylie SC
    Vehicle:
    08 Tacoma SR5
    Thanks for the help and the welcome. This is a great forum and I have been reading from time to time but this was my first post.
    You have been a big help!

Products Discussed in

To Top