1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Axel wrap

Discussion in 'Technical Chat' started by DanGer, Apr 10, 2009.

1. Apr 10, 2009 at 7:34 PM
    DanGer

DanGer [OP] Avatar approved by 98tacomav6

Member:
    Northern Virginia & Blacksburg
    Vehicle:
    07 Base 4Cyl 4x4 Manual
    White Head Light mod, White shorty antennae, Doug Thorley Long Tube headers, AFE Drop in air filter, Secondary Air Filter Removed,
    Can someone put in understandable terms what axel wrap is, how it it caused/prevented? If I am the only one confused, sorry!

2. Apr 10, 2009 at 7:39 PM
    tacomaman06

tacomaman06 Carolina Alliance: Enforcer

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    York,South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    '16 Tundra TRD Pro
    getting there....
    if you have axle wrap....when you stop/accelerate, you can feel your rear end kinda roll with a forward motion a bit............weak /worn out springs can cause it, as well as blocks with a lift kit.

3. Apr 10, 2009 at 7:40 PM
    DanGer

Member:
    Vehicle:
    07 Base 4Cyl 4x4 Manual
    White Head Light mod, White shorty antennae, Doug Thorley Long Tube headers, AFE Drop in air filter, Secondary Air Filter Removed,
    What does that mean exactly. I know it must be hard to put into words. And what is it exactly (mechanically).

And I had a bet running in my own head who would answer first

4. Apr 10, 2009 at 7:41 PM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    08 Red/Graphite and Satin Black
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    Axel wrap is caused by torque on the on drive line...Most simply put it's the ends of the springs staying in place while the axel twists- It causes the springs to bend into an "S" kinda shape.

It's bad cause it causes premature on the wear on the springs, can cause wheel hop under high torque conditions, and is generally in-efficient.

Springs that are well built and properly configured will minimize it

5. Apr 10, 2009 at 7:47 PM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
  6. Apr 10, 2009 at 7:49 PM
    DanGer

Member:
    Vehicle:
    07 Base 4Cyl 4x4 Manual
    Thanks! Are there any situations I should avoid to prevent it or do you only have to worry about it if your suspension is not up to par

7. Apr 10, 2009 at 7:51 PM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    Well...situations like the Jeep was in is a good thing to avoid...and if you are driving normal roads and you feel the rear end surging on you or you feel the rear wheels "hopping" left or right....ease off the skinny pedal.

It WILL happen on normal accels and decels...but that is considered when the driveline is built. Don't push it too hard and you'll be fine.

8. Apr 10, 2009 at 7:53 PM
    DanGer

Member:
    Vehicle:
    07 Base 4Cyl 4x4 Manual
    Wow I couldnt really see anything with my untrained eye the first time around on the tundra video, but seeing the extreme case on the jeep made it much more clear. Then I could see on the tundra video once I knew what to look for

9. Apr 10, 2009 at 7:56 PM
    tacomaman06

tacomaman06 Carolina Alliance: Enforcer

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    York,South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    '16 Tundra TRD Pro
    getting there....
    way better explanation than i gave!

10. Apr 10, 2009 at 7:57 PM
    DanGer

Member:
    Vehicle:
    07 Base 4Cyl 4x4 Manual
    Now is the tundra axel wrap considered normal? It seems to do it when he puts out more power (higher RPMs) which is understandable

11. Apr 10, 2009 at 7:58 PM
    Phantom_X-SP

Phantom_X-SP Rude Boy |><|

Member:
    High Point, NC
    Vehicle:
    08 DC Black Sand Pearl X-SP
    Good info

12. Apr 10, 2009 at 7:59 PM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    Like I said-Minor wrap happens all the time...Nowhere near dangerous driveshaft breaking levels....but it's there. Glad I could help ya!!

13. Apr 10, 2009 at 8:00 PM
    DanGer

Member:
    Vehicle:
    07 Base 4Cyl 4x4 Manual
  14. Apr 10, 2009 at 8:09 PM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    That is the result of high power/torque forces being applied to an improperly torqued/designed suspension and drive line....I think...

15. Apr 12, 2009 at 1:56 PM
    2009tacomav6

2009tacomav6 Well-Known Member

Member:
    phx AZ
    Vehicle:
    2012 4x4
    TRD SC TRD Cat Back KMC 17x9 Addicts
    wow! Thanks for the video... good look. I just recently had a lift installed and in the back they put blocks instead of the new spring packs that I ordered since they were going to be another few weeks. With blocks in the back there is a much higher chance of a wrap like this than with springs. I was hoping that maybe I could save 800 bucks and just keep the blocks but after looking at this I will have to get the spring packs. I have a SC on my truck and with all that torque I am sure it could happen a lot easier and snap off my drive shaft

16. Apr 12, 2009 at 1:58 PM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    Yeah...I don't know if you'll make enuf load just because of an SC to snap the drive shaft...but you can damage the blocks and the Ubolts/nuts with high loads fairly easy...Blocks are notoriously unreliable.

17. Apr 12, 2009 at 2:00 PM
    DanGer

Member:
    Vehicle:
    07 Base 4Cyl 4x4 Manual
    Yay it makes me happy that I wasnt the only one slightly befuddled by axel wrap and that this thread helped someone else

18. Apr 12, 2009 at 2:06 PM
    2009tacomav6

2009tacomav6 Well-Known Member

Member:
    phx AZ
    Vehicle:
    2012 4x4
    TRD SC TRD Cat Back KMC 17x9 Addicts
    indeed - thank you

19. May 3, 2009 at 8:08 PM
    MY50cal

MY50cal ---- Tread Lightly ---- Leave No Trace

Member:
    First Name:
    Mojo
    Camden County, NC
    Vehicle:
    09 PM RC / 05 SWB AC (RIP)
    Yep.
    very nice :thumbsup: I was a bit confused myself, this cleared it all up perfectly. Thanks!

20. Aug 22, 2010 at 11:56 PM
    ShaLor

ShaLor Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Shane
    Burbank, CA
    Vehicle:
    07 4x4 Doublecab TRD Off Road
    Custom mud flap removal from rock on trail :), Tailgate Hose Clamp Mod, Cobra 75 wx st CB install, 19 more D-Rings in the bed, Satoshi Grill, Fog Lamp on any time mod. Relentless Fab CB antenna hood mount, LED bed lights, Demello Hybrid Sliders, Undercover Tonneau Cover, Lighted 4x4 switch
    So what can we do to fix this?

Products Discussed in

To Top