1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Strange sound when engine shuts off

Discussion in 'Technical Chat' started by 18whlsrolin, Jul 1, 2014.

1. Jul 1, 2014 at 2:49 PM
    18whlsrolin

18whlsrolin [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Daric
    Cookeville, TN
    Vehicle:
    2014 2wd, 4cyl Taco
    Tonno pro tri fold tonno, Weather Shield window visors and a bench seat center console.
    I have a 2014 Toyota Tacoma reg cab, 2wd, 4cyl automatic. There is a sound that only occurs for one second after engine shutoff. Describing the sound is hard but I guess it is like the sound of a wind up toy car if it was wound up and then let it free spin off the ground. Something like a whirling sound. I have owned two Toyota 4cyls before and have never heard anything like it. It only has 1K miles so I am thinking it could be something slipping because of the spray shine crap they coat the engine compartment with at the dealership. I have plenty of warranty but I was just wondering if I should bring it up when I take it in for free maintenance or if it was common with the 2.7, Thanks

2. Jul 1, 2014 at 2:56 PM
    Fluffymonkey

Fluffymonkey Token

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    College Station, TX
    Vehicle:
    2013 Trd Sport DC, 07 DC sr5, 03 Prerunner
    2003: Stock 2007: Avid Offroad sliders, 30% front tint, bed mat, Truxedo low-pro qt tonneu cover, aero turbine 2525 muffler w/ 8'' tip, AR25 Resonator, 16x8 Dick Cepek DC-1 w/ 265/75 Goodyear Wrangler Duratracs, 2010 headlights, ome 884 coils with .5'' top plate spacer, OME sport front shocks, bilsten 5100s rear, 2'' aal, locking gas cap, LR ucas, Viper 2-way remote start, afe drop in filter, Rocky locking bike mounts, gear chest, scangauge, pop n lock tailgate lock 2013: most things transferred over from my 07, 5100s @ .85 + eibachs and Toytec tps for 3'' front lift, wheelers progressive aal w/ overload; compustar 2-way remote start; Antennex shorty antenna, pop n lock tailgate lock with programmable key, seat covers, Toyota's crappy all-weather floor mats (should have got Husky's or Weathertechs), TRD skid plate, led light pods mounted in front bumper valence w/ Eyourlife wireless harness and remote, led bed lights, light pods mounted in bed, Devil Horns emblem from Diaz Fabrications, rear facing pod lights in bed, under seat lights,
    Smog pump. Normal on all 2012+ tacomas.

3. Jul 2, 2014 at 2:54 PM
    18whlsrolin

18whlsrolin [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Daric
    Cookeville, TN
    Vehicle:
    2014 2wd, 4cyl Taco
    Tonno pro tri fold tonno, Weather Shield window visors and a bench seat center console.
    Thanks, that's a big relief for me. I am really starting to like this truck. It's handy for all the activities I do and it gets great gas mileage doing it.

4. Jul 7, 2014 at 4:20 PM
    welterbf123

welterbf123 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Columbus, OH
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRD Off Road
    12voltsolutions.com plug-n-play remote start system. OVTuned OEM Bed lights Underhood and footwell lights Garmin dash-cam Weathertech side vents, bug shield, mud flaps and floor mats Extang Encore tonnau cover OME BP51 Suspension Front & Back / Dakar Leaf Springs Light Racing UCA's XD Holeshot 17" x 9" Wheels Nitto Trail Grapplers 265/70/R17 TRD Pro Grille Raptor Lights iJDMToy 30" LED Hidden Bar Light Toyota Bed Step
    The pump only comes on for the first 90 seconds. It pumps any built-up unburned fuel into the intake manifold where it is consumed in the combustion process.

5. Jul 7, 2014 at 7:42 PM
    Blacktaco2042

Blacktaco2042 Well-Known Member

Member:
    wisconsin
    supercharger/trd cat back 3inch lift 265/75/16 duratracs bumper guard led bar
    its the secondary air injection pump running a lil bit after you shut it off to help keep water out of the system
    i work for toyota and thats what your hearing its normal
    they had issues with the tundra burning up the pumps cause water got in them so they run after the truck is shut off to help keep the water out

Products Discussed in

To Top