Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Technical Chat

Notices

My Truck Overheats Help!

Old 07-02-2014, 06:26 PM   #1
robbie2013 is on a distinguished road
robbie2013's Tacoma Gallery
My Truck Overheats Help!

I have a 2013 TRD with a 6 speed manual.

Hey can anyone offer some holiday help?? I am traveling from Canada down to Nevada and at highway speed 75mph with the air conditioner on and the outside temperature in the 90s my temp gauge is climbing pat the ĺ mark.

If I keep the air off and do 65 ish I can keep the temp gauge slightly above normal??

Any thoughts??

Thanks for your help!!
Old 07-02-2014, 06:31 PM   #2
Slow as shit. Cute as Hell.
Steves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steve
Steves104x4's Tacoma Gallery
I remove the rubber gasket under the hood near the base of the windshield to let the hot air out (or cooler air in) during the summer.

I think as long it the temp doesn't go into the red, you are ok.
Old 07-02-2014, 06:31 PM   #3
Roll Tide
HondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: James
HondaGM's Tacoma Gallery
could be a thermostat..
Old 07-02-2014, 06:39 PM   #4
Lord of War
KenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KenLyns's Tacoma Gallery
^This.

Also check:
Is your coolant level low?
Is the radiator fan spinning at full speed when you first start the engine (indicated by loud fan noise)?
Old 07-02-2014, 09:43 PM   #5
mike92y has a brilliant futuremike92y has a brilliant futuremike92y has a brilliant futuremike92y has a brilliant futuremike92y has a brilliant futuremike92y has a brilliant futuremike92y has a brilliant futuremike92y has a brilliant futuremike92y has a brilliant futuremike92y has a brilliant futuremike92y has a brilliant future
Army: SFC,  19 years, 5 to go.
Name: Michael
mike92y's Tacoma Gallery
I live in Arizona and have driven my truck doing 85 MPH with air on full blast in 110 degree temp without overheating. Something is up with your truck.
Old 07-02-2014, 10:13 PM   #6
Rich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rich
Rich91710's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike92y View Post
I live in Arizona and have driven my truck doing 85 MPH with air on full blast in 110 degree temp without overheating. Something is up with your truck.
+1
My Ultragauge is always between 199 and 204, and the temp is not dependent on ambient temp or speed or AC use.
Old 07-03-2014, 06:38 AM   #7
Thanks Everyone,

I am trying to get it into a dealer today and see. I am running regular gas and was wondering if anyone thinks this may contribute? In Calgary we are 3500 feet above sea level so it may not have affected me up there?

Thanks!!
Old 07-03-2014, 07:00 AM   #8
BDUF#
XXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: sKiP
XXXX's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by robbie2013 View Post
Thanks Everyone,

I am trying to get it into a dealer today and see. I am running regular gas and was wondering if anyone thinks this may contribute? In Calgary we are 3500 feet above sea level so it may not have affected me up there?

Thanks!!

Do you play in mud? is your radiator clean? Only first hand issues Ive seen with overheating were due to clogged radiators.
Old 07-04-2014, 07:41 AM   #9
Ya I do play in the mud but the rad was the first thing I tried. I found a Toyota dealer in Helena MT and it turns out my rad cap is bad and my thermostat is bad and I was low in coolant but because of the bad rad cap it was not pulling it out of my overflow.

It’s a cheap fix but they don’t have parts and because of the holiday it will not be fixed until Wednesday. So we carry on in a rental.

Thanks for your ideas.
Old 07-04-2014, 07:43 AM   #10
BDUF#
XXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: sKiP
XXXX's Tacoma Gallery
Oh that sucks, but at least it's not a major issue. Glad to hear the trip continues on!
Old 07-04-2014, 10:22 AM   #11
Tmill will become famous soon enough

Air Force: Aviator
Name: Tyler
Tmill's Tacoma Gallery
Isn't it warrantied?
Old 07-04-2014, 02:53 PM   #12
Lord of War
KenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KenLyns's Tacoma Gallery
^Probably why robbie2013 is in paid-for rental.
Old 07-04-2014, 02:59 PM   #13
revised
TrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Navy: HM2
TrdSurgie's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by robbie2013 View Post
Ya I do play in the mud but the rad was the first thing I tried. I found a Toyota dealer in Helena MT and it turns out my rad cap is bad and my thermostat is bad and I was low in coolant but because of the bad rad cap it was not pulling it out of my overflow.

Itís a cheap fix but they donít have parts and because of the holiday it will not be fixed until Wednesday. So we carry on in a rental.

Thanks for your ideas.
Those are pretty basic parts not to keep in stock....
Old 07-04-2014, 03:14 PM   #14
Lord of War

KenLyns's Tacoma Gallery
^You'll be surprised how poorly stocked most Toyota dealers are. When I got my steel braided brake lines installed, I wanted to get new clips - a universal part used on every Toyota since the 1980s, yet the dealer had to order it with next-day ETA.
Old 07-04-2014, 03:23 PM   #15
revised
TrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Navy: HM2
TrdSurgie's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by KenLyns View Post
^You'll be surprised how poorly stocked most Toyota dealers are. When I got my steel braided brake lines installed, I wanted to get new clips - a universal part used on every Toyota since the 1980s, yet the dealer had to order it with next-day ETA.
Thats crazy.
Old 07-05-2014, 07:46 AM   #16
Yep, the truck is under warranty but its Toyota Canada warranty and we are broke down in America. The guys at the dealership walked me through how to deal with it. I pay for everything down hear and then submit the bill when I get home. Hopefully it will all be take care of.

I was also shocked that they did not have the parts. But they how must go on…..
Old 07-05-2014, 08:50 AM   #17
MPG? LOL
sean266 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsean266 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsean266 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsean266 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsean266 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsean266 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsean266 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsean266 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsean266 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsean266 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsean266 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sean
sean266's Tacoma Gallery
Glad it's nothing major...but u can drive the hell out of the rental car :-)