1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

2014 Tacoma Experienced strange problem

Discussion in 'Technical Chat' started by Slymeister, Jul 4, 2014.

1. Jul 4, 2014 at 6:36 PM
    Slymeister

Slymeister [OP] Member

Member:
    Alberta
    Vehicle:
    2014 Tacoma TRD Off Road
    US Off Road winch mount, Warn VR10000 winch
    2014 Tacoma Access Cab TRD OR (Stock)
    Owned for 2 months

On my drive home from work this evening, my tacoma I guess kinda went haywire for a few seconds. I dont really know what to really describe the incident as, but any help or info on the situation would be great.

The problem began when the steering wheel stiffed up, almost as if I lost power steering. That was followed by 2 other strange things. My front driver side tire felt as if it was dragging, or dragging something with it. And there was a weird grinding noise coming from the same location. Then the gas pedal began to pulse, in the same fashion that ABS would pulse the brake pedal. And the computer reduced the engine power to almost nothing.

This all occurred while traveling at 80 km/h on the main road at the oilfield where I work.
    I ended up pulling onto the shoulder of the road, to get out and check to see if I had hit a small animal or had broken anything on the truck. Nothing seemed out of place, and I didnt hit anything. So i ended up crawling underneath to make sure nothing was lose or out of place. After that, i got back in the truck, and continued driving home. Truck had all its power, the grinding noise was gone, and there was no dragging feeling no more.

I gave the Toyota dealership where I bought my Tacoma a call, and spoke with one of the service guys. Explained what had happened to him and also told him I checked under and around the truck. He got me to pop the hood and check my pulleys and belt to make sure they were tight and all still there, as they were. He didnt know what to really do about it, and suggested I take my truck in to have it checked out and to check to see if it threw a code or anything. (CEL never came on)

So when my days off roll back around, im taking it down to get checked out. Just wondering if anyone else has had this happen to them or has heard anything about this happening.

2. Jul 4, 2014 at 6:54 PM
    Rich91710

Rich91710 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    08 Base
    Satoshi with FJ badge, factory cruise, factory intermittent wipers, Redline Tuning hood-lift struts, Hellwig Swaybar, Rosen DVD-Nav
    Gas pedal can't pulsate... there is no servo on your end.
    You might feel vibration coming through the floor in the pedal, but it is not physically capable of giving the same type of feedback as the brake pedal does when the ABS triggers.

It does sound like something went wrong in the ABS system given that one wheel began to drag.
    The ECU will shut the engine down to idle if it detects braking when the throttle is over 25%, so that could have been involved as well.

Pending codes will be stored even without a CEL... definitely get it in to be checked. It's under warranty anyways, won't cost you anything but time.

3. Jul 4, 2014 at 6:58 PM
    Steves104x4

Steves104x4 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Buffalo NY
    Vehicle:
    2010 RC 2.7 4x4
    BUCKLE UP! It makes it harder for Aliens to pull you out of your Truck.
    I'm going to guess left speed sensor- that's what happened to mine.

4. Jul 4, 2014 at 7:32 PM
    Slymeister

Slymeister [OP] Member

Member:
    Alberta
    Vehicle:
    2014 Tacoma TRD Off Road
    US Off Road winch mount, Warn VR10000 winch
    That actually all makes sense to me. And I figured the noise and dragging feeling had something to do with the ABS or Traction Control system.
    Thanks

Now just gotta figure out why the steering wheel stiffened up.

5. Jul 7, 2014 at 4:13 PM
    welterbf123

welterbf123 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Columbus, OH
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRD Off Road
    12voltsolutions.com plug-n-play remote start system. OVTuned OEM Bed lights Underhood and footwell lights Garmin dash-cam Weathertech side vents, bug shield, mud flaps and floor mats Extang Encore tonnau cover OME BP51 Suspension Front & Back / Dakar Leaf Springs Light Racing UCA's XD Holeshot 17" x 9" Wheels Nitto Trail Grapplers 265/70/R17 TRD Pro Grille Raptor Lights iJDMToy 30" LED Hidden Bar Light Toyota Bed Step
    Yes. Sounds like a speed sensor for sure. Have the ABS system checked out. Any CEL's?

6. Jul 11, 2014 at 6:27 PM
    mc3404

mc3404 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Concord ,NC
    Vehicle:
    03 v6 tacoma
    Speaking of strange problems... I let my truck sit for three days while on vacation. 2012 1gr- Fe. When i returned and started it up it ran fine for about thirty seconds and then it sounded like someone poured rocks into the motor and chocked it down a little. It came back to life immediately and ran normal. It has only happened one other time when it was really cold out. Anyone else have this problem?

7. Jul 13, 2014 at 10:10 PM
    Brandnew tacoma

Brandnew tacoma New Member

Member:
    California
    Vehicle:
    Double cab 4x4 tacoma
    Factory leveling kit

At 500 miles, my 2014 trd sport double cab is doing the same thing. Now it won't stop and I cannot drive it with my kid in the truck. No problem on freeway or straightaways. I live on very windy, nicely paved roads, however. When I take a corner, especially downhill to the right, a sudden traction control problem occurs:
    The traction light blinks on the dash and a strange grinding sound comes from the front differential and the vehicle suddenly tries to slow the inner cornering front wheel. It jerks the steering wheel and releases and then does it again. It is crazy dangerous on the cliff side roads in Northern California.
    Took it back to the dealer, where they said there is no fix that Toyota has for it. They reset the computer, "zeroing it out". Now it is much worse and much more dangerous. It constricts the inner front wheel on any good corner and grinds loudly from the traction control in the diff.
    I am understanding that the computer senses the inner wheel moving faster than the other and "thinks" that the vehicle is losing traction, when it is not. It tries to pull me off the road. Only had it for two weeks.

8. Jul 14, 2014 at 5:51 AM
    welterbf123

welterbf123 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Columbus, OH
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRD Off Road
    12voltsolutions.com plug-n-play remote start system. OVTuned OEM Bed lights Underhood and footwell lights Garmin dash-cam Weathertech side vents, bug shield, mud flaps and floor mats Extang Encore tonnau cover OME BP51 Suspension Front & Back / Dakar Leaf Springs Light Racing UCA's XD Holeshot 17" x 9" Wheels Nitto Trail Grapplers 265/70/R17 TRD Pro Grille Raptor Lights iJDMToy 30" LED Hidden Bar Light Toyota Bed Step
    Last edited: Jul 14, 2014

Products Discussed in

To Top