Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Technical Chat

Notices

Driveline "clunk"

Old 07-08-2014, 04:02 PM   #1
Pachystima is on a distinguished road
Army: Medic, 1st Special Forces
Pachystima's Tacoma Gallery
Driveline "clunk"

I recently bought a 2012 Tacoma standard cab 4x4 with the 4-speed auto and the 2.7 litre 4-cylinder engine. The truck now has 31,000 miles on the odometer. It has an aftermarket alarm system and cruise control installed.

I consistently get a "thump" or "clunk" from the driveline when I release the brakes after a stop. From what I have read online, this "clunk" is either spring wrap or a poorly lubed slip-joint spline on the driveshaft, or, possibly, both.

If it is spring wrap, I guess I can live with it.

If it is a poorly lubed slip joint spline, however, I would like to deal with it. But, the slip joint does not have a grease fitting; it seems to be a "permanently" lubed, sealed joint. Is there any reasonably easy way to lube the slip-joint-splines on this vehicle? Or, are there any dealer "fixes" for the problem I should know about since the rig is still under warrantee?
Old 07-09-2014, 08:59 AM   #2
sparkystaco is just really nicesparkystaco is just really nicesparkystaco is just really nicesparkystaco is just really nicesparkystaco is just really nice

Name: Sparky
sparkystaco's Tacoma Gallery
I highly doubt slip joint bind as you only have 31k on it,
I would start with checking u-bolt torque as many on here have said their u-bolts were under torqued
IIRC torque should be 67ft/lbs
Old 07-09-2014, 04:28 PM   #3
Pachystima is on a distinguished road
Army: Medic, 1st Special Forces
Pachystima's Tacoma Gallery
Sparkystaco,
Thanks for the advice. I checked the torque on the u-bolt nuts and it was less than 25 ft lb on all eight. I tightened them all to 70 ft lb and the "clunk" is gone. The shop manual calls for 37 ft lb which I suspect is a typo. When I was a mechanic, a long time ago, we used to run them up to around 90 ft lb. At any rate, they were even looser than the 37 ft lb figure called for in the manual. Thanks again!
Old 07-09-2014, 06:29 PM   #4
sparkystaco is just really nicesparkystaco is just really nicesparkystaco is just really nicesparkystaco is just really nicesparkystaco is just really nice

Name: Sparky
sparkystaco's Tacoma Gallery
You're welcome, glad that worked
Old 07-10-2014, 05:52 PM   #5
o0o Flaming Skull Member o0o
o0oSHADOWo0o is one of the sharper tools in the shedo0oSHADOWo0o is one of the sharper tools in the shedo0oSHADOWo0o is one of the sharper tools in the shedo0oSHADOWo0o is one of the sharper tools in the shedo0oSHADOWo0o is one of the sharper tools in the shedo0oSHADOWo0o is one of the sharper tools in the shedo0oSHADOWo0o is one of the sharper tools in the shedo0oSHADOWo0o is one of the sharper tools in the shedo0oSHADOWo0o is one of the sharper tools in the shedo0oSHADOWo0o is one of the sharper tools in the shedo0oSHADOWo0o is one of the sharper tools in the shed

o0oSHADOWo0o's Tacoma Gallery
Dang, I'll have to do a little preventive maintenance and check mine this weekend just in case.

Good info.
Old 07-12-2014, 01:13 PM   #6
TOMB is on a distinguished road
Air Force: E4
Name: Tom
TOMB's Tacoma Gallery
First time post. After reading about the low torque in the rear spring u bolts i went and checked my 2013 Tacoma Access cap 4.0l 4x4 I found that mine were indeed not to spec , got out the torque retorqued to 70 ft lb took maybe 1 - 1 1/2 turns of the bolts.

Thank to every one here that shares their findings

TOMB
Old 07-12-2014, 02:41 PM   #7
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jandy
Janster's Tacoma Gallery
You have an automatic.

Search "Automatic Lurch" on this forum and you might discover its a normal occurrence in these trucks (if this is what you are experiencing).

From what I've theorized over the years with my own truck (07).... Is if I come to a complete stop pretty quickly, it will lurch more often and harder VERSUS if I come to a complete stop using the brakes softer.

I think its the transmission downshifting back into 1st gear after you come to a complete stop. Some folks say, its worse when the A/C is on.
Old 07-12-2014, 02:43 PM   #8
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Janster's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TOMB View Post
First time post. After reading about the low torque in the rear spring u bolts i went and checked my 2013 Tacoma Access cap 4.0l 4x4 I found that mine were indeed not to spec , got out the torque retorqued to 70 ft lb took maybe 1 - 1 1/2 turns of the bolts.

Thank to every one here that shares their findings

TOMB

Only 70ft lbs?? Holy shit... Torque on the lug nuts is supposed to be 85ft lbs.

70ft lbs doesn't seem high enough for rear springs!???
Old 07-12-2014, 02:50 PM   #9
TOMB is on a distinguished road
Air Force: E4
Name: Tom
TOMB's Tacoma Gallery
Based the torque value on the above posts. Do you have a diffrent / correct value that might be better?

TOMB
Old 07-12-2014, 03:05 PM   #10
Old & Forgetful

Janster's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TOMB View Post
Based the torque value on the above posts. Do you have a diffrent / correct value that might be better?

TOMB
LOL
According to this... 89ft lbs
http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...V2l_4xw0GZJ5Dg

According to this page.... 90ft lbs
http://www.tacomahq.com/2707/leaf-spring-replacement/

All the other forums & such have listed around 90ft lbs. But, you can do your own researching.

Personally for me - I've worked on enough Jeeps / axles and offroading, that I've always done them F'n tight or around 100ft lbs. You don't want that shit to come loose - and check & recheck a week or so later after tightening them.