Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Technical Chat

Notices

Truck wouldn't start. What could be the issue?

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-13-2014, 06:30 PM   #1
907Yoda [OP] 907Yoda is offline
currently trying to get lost...
907Yoda is on a distinguished road
 
907Yoda's Avatar
Air Force:
Joined: Aug 2013, #110255
Location: Rapid City SD
Age: 23
Gender: Male
Posts: 114
907Yoda's Tacoma Gallery
Truck wouldn't start. What could be the issue?

Hey so I was so confused last night. I met up with someone last night and it was so hot that I left my truck running for the a/c ideling while we talked in it for 45ish minutes. I turned it off and we went to go grab a bite to eat then when I came back to start it to leave it wouldnt start. kept turning over just wouldnt fire up. I left and got a ride back to it about 2 hours later and it fired right up like nothing ever happened. What could have caused this issue? It has about 8400 miles on it, still under warrenty. Should I bring it to the dealer to get it checked out?
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 06:04 PM   #2
Senior Member
Mainmoe02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMainmoe02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMainmoe02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMainmoe02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMainmoe02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMainmoe02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMainmoe02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMainmoe02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMainmoe02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMainmoe02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMainmoe02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
 
Mainmoe02's Avatar
Name: Moe
Joined: Apr 2013, #103047
Location: Austin, Texas
Age: 30
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,971
Mainmoe02's Tacoma Gallery
If it were me and my 1 year old truck did that I would definitely take advantage of the warranty and have it checked out or at least call to ask why that would happened.

If you do call the dealership try and talk to a Master Tech instead of some sales rep or floor manager who will probably just give some BS answer and blame it on the truck idling for 45 minutes.
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 08:15 PM   #3
907Yoda [OP] 907Yoda is offline
currently trying to get lost...
907Yoda is on a distinguished road
 
907Yoda's Avatar
Air Force:
Joined: Aug 2013, #110255
Location: Rapid City SD
Age: 23
Gender: Male
Posts: 114
907Yoda's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks. Sounds good I havent had a problem since this instance so i didnt know if it was just chance or something. But i will call tomorrow and post what i find out
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 08:23 PM   #4
SoCal Tacomas
Jerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shed
 
Jerez's Avatar
Name: Roderick
Joined: Feb 2010, #30488
Location: Ontario/Chino Area (CALI)
Gender: Male
Posts: 15,175
Jerez's Tacoma Gallery
never heard this before...
did you try removing the key a couple times?
maybe the trucks immobilizer didnt read the key...causing it just to turn over.
if it does it again, see if the small car with key in the middle (right of the clock under the radio) is blinking while the key is in the "on" position...if it is, then its not reading the key, if its off then youre good on that
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 09:31 PM   #5
907Yoda [OP] 907Yoda is offline
currently trying to get lost...
907Yoda is on a distinguished road
 
907Yoda's Avatar
Air Force:
Joined: Aug 2013, #110255
Location: Rapid City SD
Age: 23
Gender: Male
Posts: 114
907Yoda's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerez View Post
never heard this before...
did you try removing the key a couple times?
maybe the trucks immobilizer didnt read the key...causing it just to turn over.
if it does it again, see if the small car with key in the middle (right of the clock under the radio) is blinking while the key is in the "on" position...if it is, then its not reading the key, if its off then youre good on that
Yes I did remove the key a few times. Tried for a 5ish minutes with second breaks in between then gave up. Everything turned on except the motor. If it dosent reconize the key will the radio come on and truck still turn over? For a while I thought it was something with my fuel pump. I did not think to look at the car key light that might have been the issue. If the problem no longer exists Toyota wont be able to find the problem but the mechanics may have a few theories.
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 09:46 PM   #6
SoCal Tacomas
Jerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shed
 
Jerez's Avatar
Name: Roderick
Joined: Feb 2010, #30488
Location: Ontario/Chino Area (CALI)
Gender: Male
Posts: 15,175
Jerez's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 907Yoda View Post
Yes I did remove the key a few times. Tried for a 5ish minutes with second breaks in between then gave up. Everything turned on except the motor. If it dosent reconize the key will the radio come on and truck still turn over? For a while I thought it was something with my fuel pump. I did not think to look at the car key light that might have been the issue. If the problem no longer exists Toyota wont be able to find the problem but the mechanics may have a few theories.
if key not recognize yes it will still turn everything one and turn over but wont let the ecu fully turn the engine on...
reason i know was cuz a couple years back my receiver some how got shorted and it would do everything but fully turn over the engine...had to tow it to toyota...

but since you got it to run again, im guessing it my not be the case...
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 10:05 PM   #8
MPG? LOL
sean266 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsean266 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsean266 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsean266 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsean266 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsean266 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsean266 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsean266 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsean266 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsean266 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsean266 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
 
sean266's Avatar
Name: Sean
Joined: Mar 2011, #53447
Location: Denver area
Gender: Dude
Posts: 14,359
sean266's Tacoma Gallery
The dealer will prob say they can't help u if they can't duplicate the problem...but it's worth a try, and way to document said issue.
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 07:33 AM   #9
SSN SSN is offline
Junior Member
SSN is on a distinguished road
Name: steve
Joined: Jul 2014, #134577
Location: Ky
Gender: Male
Posts: 1
SSN's Tacoma Gallery
2005 tacoma will not turn over no guages work dome light works battery is good acts likes no power is coming to key switch is there a relay or fuse for this thanks SSN
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 10:46 AM   #10
Senior Member
tan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
 
tan4x4's Avatar
Name: Rick
Joined: Nov 2011, #67982
Location: Folsom, CA
Age: 60
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,606
tan4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 907Yoda View Post
Thanks. Sounds good I havent had a problem since this instance so i didnt know if it was just chance or something. But i will call tomorrow and post what i find out
In the old carburetor days, heat-related starting problems were caused by 'vapor-lock'. Fuel would vaporize in the fuel lines that were close to the exhaust.

Cooling down was the only solution. Then it would fire up as if nothing were wrong. Idling on a hot day with A/C on for 45 minutes would maximize the heat generated under the hood.

Its not supposed to happen with EFI, but it sure seems like it did.
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 08:12 PM   #11
907Yoda [OP] 907Yoda is offline
currently trying to get lost...
907Yoda is on a distinguished road
 
907Yoda's Avatar
Air Force:
Joined: Aug 2013, #110255
Location: Rapid City SD
Age: 23
Gender: Male
Posts: 114
907Yoda's Tacoma Gallery
I talked with toyota a week or so ago they were convinced it was a one time issue nothing to worry about.
So then same problem occured again yesterday. I drove it right in there next time it started and dropped it off with them. Couple hours later they called me and said after some tests they have come to the conclusion that my main computer has a glitch in it. (Possibly a bad solder connection) One of many timers in the truck computer will not start for system diagnostics. After some great details I caught myself just nodding my head cause they lost me. But they have never seen any problem like it so they ordered a whole new computer system for the truck just to be safe...
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 08:57 PM   #12
MPG? LOL
sean266 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsean266 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsean266 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsean266 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsean266 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsean266 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsean266 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsean266 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsean266 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsean266 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsean266 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
 
sean266's Avatar
Name: Sean
Joined: Mar 2011, #53447
Location: Denver area
Gender: Dude
Posts: 14,359
sean266's Tacoma Gallery
At least they seem to have found a solution!
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 09:41 PM   #13
Senior Member
cosmicfires is one of the sharper tools in the shedcosmicfires is one of the sharper tools in the shedcosmicfires is one of the sharper tools in the shedcosmicfires is one of the sharper tools in the shedcosmicfires is one of the sharper tools in the shedcosmicfires is one of the sharper tools in the shedcosmicfires is one of the sharper tools in the shedcosmicfires is one of the sharper tools in the shedcosmicfires is one of the sharper tools in the shedcosmicfires is one of the sharper tools in the shedcosmicfires is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: David
Joined: Jul 2012, #82824
Location: Lynnwood, WA
Gender: Dude
Posts: 259
cosmicfires's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tan4x4 View Post
In the old carburetor days, heat-related starting problems were caused by 'vapor-lock'. Fuel would vaporize in the fuel lines that were close to the exhaust.

Cooling down was the only solution. Then it would fire up as if nothing were wrong. Idling on a hot day with A/C on for 45 minutes would maximize the heat generated under the hood.

Its not supposed to happen with EFI, but it sure seems like it did.
Vapor lock can't occur with the fuel pump in the tank. In the carburetor days the fuel pump was often on the engine driven mechanically. If the gas in the line to the tank vaporized the pump couldn't pull any fuel from the tank. The pump in the tank can push any vapor between it and the engine with no problem.
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 09:50 PM   #14
Senior Member
csayno is on a distinguished road
Name: Chris
Joined: Jun 2014, #132418
Location: Maui, Hawaii
Age: 24
Gender: Male
Posts: 133
csayno's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 907Yoda View Post
I talked with toyota a week or so ago they were convinced it was a one time issue nothing to worry about.
So then same problem occured again yesterday. I drove it right in there next time it started and dropped it off with them. Couple hours later they called me and said after some tests they have come to the conclusion that my main computer has a glitch in it. (Possibly a bad solder connection) One of many timers in the truck computer will not start for system diagnostics. After some great details I caught myself just nodding my head cause they lost me. But they have never seen any problem like it so they ordered a whole new computer system for the truck just to be safe...
Wow. Good news depending how you look at it. lol. How long will it take till you get the truck back?
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 11:29 PM   #15
907Yoda [OP] 907Yoda is offline
currently trying to get lost...
907Yoda is on a distinguished road
 
907Yoda's Avatar
Air Force:
Joined: Aug 2013, #110255
Location: Rapid City SD
Age: 23
Gender: Male
Posts: 114
907Yoda's Tacoma Gallery
Parts are on order and have my appointment Thursday. They said approx 4-5 hours to do everything
  Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Girlfriends car wouldn't start? witaco General Automotive 0 03-15-2013 05:57 PM
Truck wont start occasionally, gas cap issue WuTang 1st Gen. Tacomas 36 12-01-2012 02:10 PM
Lights flickering, truck wouldn't start T-rev 2nd Gen. Tacomas 4 10-11-2012 12:18 PM
my truck wouldn't move this morning!! Rakso 2nd Gen. Tacomas 34 07-21-2010 01:11 AM
My truck wouldn't start SurfInferno 2nd Gen. Tacomas 8 04-19-2010 08:14 PM


Copyright © 2014 Tacoma Forum. Tacoma World is not owned by, or affiliated with Toyota Motor Corporation.