Notices

Dual Battery set up

Old 07-14-2014, 07:37 AM   #1
yeah...im a newbie
Andrew K is on a distinguished road

Name: Andrew
Andrew K's Tacoma Gallery
Dual Battery set up

anyone on here have a dual battery set up?

im brainstorming about having a second battery to assist with accessories for those long nights on the beach, with out having to worry about killing my main battery.

I have been on several boats that have a selector switch that allows the captain to switch between batteries (to advoid draining both), but also allows them to be able to charge both at the same time.

so ideally i would be able to drive up to Assateague, having both batteries charging off the alternator while driving, then hit the beach and once im settled in my spot, change the switch to the aux battery for accessories, lights, chargers, etc.
Old 07-14-2014, 10:00 AM   #2
yeah...im a newbie

before posting i searched and couldn't find much on this topic, then after i posted, i saw the similiar threads at the bottom. lots of good info. sounds like to me using an isolater is better than the selector switch ive seen on the boats? anyone with any thoughts?

also does anyone have a diagram that shows the connectivity?
Old 07-14-2014, 10:34 AM   #3
RND2 is on a distinguished road

RND2's Tacoma Gallery
I would have to look around and see if I can find my old drawings but its super easy. Theres plenty of kits on the market pre maid but tend to be pricey and can be made for the fraction of the cost. Mine was used for the winch mainly but could be swithed to use either batteries or both at the same time
Old 07-14-2014, 10:36 AM   #4
2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

2000GTacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Check out this thread.

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/aud...ys-thread.html
Old 07-14-2014, 03:52 PM   #5
Shadetree is one of the sharper tools in the shedShadetree is one of the sharper tools in the shedShadetree is one of the sharper tools in the shedShadetree is one of the sharper tools in the shedShadetree is one of the sharper tools in the shedShadetree is one of the sharper tools in the shedShadetree is one of the sharper tools in the shedShadetree is one of the sharper tools in the shedShadetree is one of the sharper tools in the shedShadetree is one of the sharper tools in the shedShadetree is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Army: Computer Repair STRATCOM
Name: BiLL
Shadetree's Tacoma Gallery
Here are the connection instructions and diagrams for a Sure Power Diode Isolator for a dual battery hookup, http://www.allbatterysalesandservice...on-180012Q.pdf. If you use the same battery type matched to your charging system for your starting and deep cycle battery, fully charging the batteries becomes much simpler. See Section 7.1.9 in the Car and Deep Cycle Battery FAQ on www.batteryfaq.org for more information.
Old 07-16-2014, 12:14 PM   #6
yeah...im a newbie

i appreciate it guys, ive just spent the last 3 hours reading all kinds of good info on this...hah. any disadvantages in putting the second battery in the bed (with camper shell)? i dont have a winch and do not plan on installing one.....this is mainly for powering small accessroies (cell phone chargers, music, etc) and LED lights...
Old 07-16-2014, 10:28 PM   #7
2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

2000GTacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew K View Post
i appreciate it guys, ive just spent the last 3 hours reading all kinds of good info on this...hah. any disadvantages in putting the second battery in the bed (with camper shell)? i dont have a winch and do not plan on installing one.....this is mainly for powering small accessroies (cell phone chargers, music, etc) and LED lights...

Other than losing space and needing to run longer wires from under the hood to it to keep it charged not really. However if you do put it in the bed figure about how long the wire will be and choose the proper gauge wire. The longer the wire the bigger wire needs to be in order to provide "x" load. Use fuses and protect the wire however you run it so it does not rub a hole in the insulation.
Old 07-16-2014, 11:51 PM   #8
penguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shedpenguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shedpenguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shedpenguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shedpenguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shedpenguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shedpenguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shedpenguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shedpenguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shedpenguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shedpenguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Will
penguins_cc's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Skype™ to penguins_cc
OP, I'm currently installing the Blue Sea Add-a-Battery. The 2nd battery, switch and fuse panel are going behind the rear driver seat. Somehow I think I will be able to fit a group 31 battery. You do not need two of the exact same battery for this particular setup, but like mentioned there are other similar choices.

I think what actually happens is that the system isolates the 2nd battery when voltage drops to a certain level, ensuring your starter battery has enough charge. It does not require me to flip a switch when I arrive at my camp site.
Old 07-17-2014, 07:30 AM   #9
yeah...im a newbie

roger that. thanks for the input. Penguins can you post pics after your done?
Old 07-17-2014, 12:51 PM   #10
penguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shedpenguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shedpenguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shedpenguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shedpenguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shedpenguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shedpenguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shedpenguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shedpenguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shedpenguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shedpenguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Will
penguins_cc's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Skype™ to penguins_cc
Will-do. I will post today what I have completed so far as well.
Old 07-17-2014, 01:01 PM   #11
Grakyn is on a distinguished road

Name: Kyle
Grakyn's Tacoma Gallery
I should have my dual battery setup installed within the next week or two. Going with two Optima Yellowtops and the ATO dual battery tray. BamaToy (Marion Bumper2Bumper) is setting me up with a wiring kit including isolator and upgraded alternator. Difference will be that I am running a winch, a repeater, lights, and several other accessories. Probably a bit of an overkill build for your uses, but still nice to see some different options.
Old 07-18-2014, 04:45 AM   #12
yeah...im a newbie

i looked in my engine bay yesterday afternoon and was shocked at the amount of room that is there....i may not have to go to the bed for the 2nd battery after all...
Old 07-19-2014, 05:24 AM   #13
Shadetree is one of the sharper tools in the shedShadetree is one of the sharper tools in the shedShadetree is one of the sharper tools in the shedShadetree is one of the sharper tools in the shedShadetree is one of the sharper tools in the shedShadetree is one of the sharper tools in the shedShadetree is one of the sharper tools in the shedShadetree is one of the sharper tools in the shedShadetree is one of the sharper tools in the shedShadetree is one of the sharper tools in the shedShadetree is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Army: Computer Repair STRATCOM
Name: BiLL
Shadetree's Tacoma Gallery
Andrew, the advantage of locating your deep cycle battery (or starting battery) outside the engine compartment is that it will not be subjected to the high underhood temperatures and have a longer service life. This is because the higher temperatures accelerate the grid corrosion. The downside is the extra cost and venting depending on the battery type.