1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Looking for used Tacoma,how to tell diff gearing by vin? Or other

Discussion in 'Technical Chat' started by .Randy Bullard, Jul 16, 2014.

1. Jul 16, 2014 at 7:39 PM
    .Randy Bullard

.Randy Bullard [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Randy
    North Florida
    Vehicle:
    in market
    Hi Guys,brand new member here so take it easy,Lol! I'm currently looking to buy a Tacoma,used..I had seen one a while back at a dealer and test drove it,really liked the gearing w automatic,for my use's,and it had 3.52 diff on info sheet..How can I tell if another Tacoma I get say from a private seller,has this diff ratio? I'm getting a 4cyl,base(low boy)..Also,what does the sr5 package add..Thanks much,Randy

2. Jul 17, 2014 at 4:00 PM
    jtyson123

jtyson123 Member

Member:
    Albuquerque, NM, USA
    Vehicle:
    03 bone stock
    I'm not sure on Tacomas, but I know on some domestic trucks the gear ratio is listed in the glove box. That is assuming that the gears haven't been changed. You could always jack the rear up and count spins if the seller doesn't have a problem with it.

3. Jul 17, 2014 at 10:35 PM
    tan4x4

tan4x4 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rick
    Folsom, CA
    Vehicle:
    99 Tacoma EC 4x4 2.7L Auto
    Bilsteins, OME 881's, 3-leaf AAL, Detroit TruTrac, Tundra brake swap, Michelin LTX AT2, Tranny skidplate, TC skidplate, CBI rear bumper, TG sliders, UltraGauge, PowerTank, Reverse Camera
    Not sure about 2nd gens, but my 1st gen shows the axle code on the information tag located on the driver door jam.

For example, my axle code is B04A, which means an open 8.4 differential with 4.56 gears. Those are the gears that came from the factory. However, its always possible that a previous owner may have changed the gears.

Products Discussed in

To Top