Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Technical Chat

Notices

Brake Rotor Removal

Old 07-17-2014, 08:05 AM   #1
obzerver is one of the sharper tools in the shedobzerver is one of the sharper tools in the shedobzerver is one of the sharper tools in the shedobzerver is one of the sharper tools in the shedobzerver is one of the sharper tools in the shedobzerver is one of the sharper tools in the shedobzerver is one of the sharper tools in the shedobzerver is one of the sharper tools in the shedobzerver is one of the sharper tools in the shedobzerver is one of the sharper tools in the shedobzerver is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Justin
obzerver's Tacoma Gallery
Brake Rotor Removal

Hey Guys,
I'm in the process of changing out my front wheel bearings, but I've run into a snag. My driver side front rotor is stuck on and it just wont seem to budge! I've tried spraying PB Blaster in between the bolts, I've tried wiggling and pulling the rotor, and I also tried taping the edges with a hammer. Lot's of rust flakes have fallen, but after an hour of trying last night I gave up.

So does anyone have any great tips for removing a stuck rotor? Preferably something where I wont damage it as I still need it. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Old 07-17-2014, 08:10 AM   #2
Lieutenant Dan.
DeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter: Lieutenant
DeeKay21's Tacoma Gallery
On my friends truck we used a big rubber mallet and just kept banging on it and it eventually gave way.
Old 07-17-2014, 08:18 AM   #3
nate121080 is one of the sharper tools in the shednate121080 is one of the sharper tools in the shednate121080 is one of the sharper tools in the shednate121080 is one of the sharper tools in the shednate121080 is one of the sharper tools in the shednate121080 is one of the sharper tools in the shednate121080 is one of the sharper tools in the shednate121080 is one of the sharper tools in the shednate121080 is one of the sharper tools in the shednate121080 is one of the sharper tools in the shednate121080 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
nate121080's Tacoma Gallery
See any threaded holes on the rotor? If so, find a bolt that fits and tighten till it pops off
Old 07-17-2014, 08:46 AM   #4
obzerver is one of the sharper tools in the shedobzerver is one of the sharper tools in the shedobzerver is one of the sharper tools in the shedobzerver is one of the sharper tools in the shedobzerver is one of the sharper tools in the shedobzerver is one of the sharper tools in the shedobzerver is one of the sharper tools in the shedobzerver is one of the sharper tools in the shedobzerver is one of the sharper tools in the shedobzerver is one of the sharper tools in the shedobzerver is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeeKay21 View Post
On my friends truck we used a big rubber mallet and just kept banging on it and it eventually gave way.
I've been using my dead blow hammer to hit it. I figure when I get home from work I'll spend another hour or so smacking it.
Old 07-17-2014, 08:47 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by nate121080 View Post
See any threaded holes on the rotor? If so, find a bolt that fits and tighten till it pops off
I did notice a couple of small holes near the center of the rotor. I can't say if they were threaded or not as I didn't pay them much attention. I'll take another look tonight.
Old 07-17-2014, 03:07 PM   #7
WHEEEEEEEEEEE!!
CRU is one of the sharper tools in the shedCRU is one of the sharper tools in the shedCRU is one of the sharper tools in the shedCRU is one of the sharper tools in the shedCRU is one of the sharper tools in the shedCRU is one of the sharper tools in the shedCRU is one of the sharper tools in the shedCRU is one of the sharper tools in the shedCRU is one of the sharper tools in the shedCRU is one of the sharper tools in the shedCRU is one of the sharper tools in the shed

CRU's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by nate121080 View Post
X2

It's sad how easily the rotor pops right off after you've spent hours beating it like it owes you money.
Old 07-17-2014, 03:11 PM   #8
Skewpage
chilidogrc is one of the sharper tools in the shedchilidogrc is one of the sharper tools in the shedchilidogrc is one of the sharper tools in the shedchilidogrc is one of the sharper tools in the shedchilidogrc is one of the sharper tools in the shedchilidogrc is one of the sharper tools in the shedchilidogrc is one of the sharper tools in the shedchilidogrc is one of the sharper tools in the shedchilidogrc is one of the sharper tools in the shedchilidogrc is one of the sharper tools in the shedchilidogrc is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rodrigo
chilidogrc's Tacoma Gallery
Unscrew one of the bolts that hold the stock intake to the fender. Thread that bolt into the threaded hole between the lugs in the brake rotor. Keep threading until the rotor pops off.
Old 07-18-2014, 07:52 AM   #9

Thanks guys! I took your advice and used the threaded holes. Rotor popped off after about 30 seconds. Why don't more brakes have this feature?!?