Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Technical Chat

Notices

Outside ambient air & Ultragauge

Old 07-18-2014, 03:20 PM   #1
firetaco18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfiretaco18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfiretaco18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfiretaco18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfiretaco18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfiretaco18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfiretaco18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfiretaco18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfiretaco18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfiretaco18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfiretaco18 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter: Fighting 18
Name: Sean
firetaco18's Tacoma Gallery
Outside ambient air & Ultragauge

So I have my '13 wired for the ambient air sensor on the vertical support but I do not have the mirror for the readings. I just bought an ultragauge to see if the OBD II could read it, sure enough it doesn't. Is there a way to get the ultragauge to read it or to wire the OBD to read the sensor? I should have asked Ultragauge if it could read the outside ambient air on a tacoma but I want to see if there is a way to do this.
Old 07-18-2014, 04:41 PM   #2
tan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rick
tan4x4's Tacoma Gallery
It will read the intake air temp, thats the closest you'll get.
Old 07-21-2014, 09:18 AM   #4
Lurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Lurkin's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by firetaco18 View Post
So I have my '13 wired for the ambient air sensor on the vertical support but I do not have the mirror for the readings. I just bought an ultragauge to see if the OBD II could read it, sure enough it doesn't. Is there a way to get the ultragauge to read it or to wire the OBD to read the sensor? I should have asked Ultragauge if it could read the outside ambient air on a tacoma but I want to see if there is a way to do this.
I tried to do the same thing with the Scanguage, but never found a code that could read it.
Old 07-21-2014, 11:33 AM   #6
Lurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Lurkin's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by firetaco18 View Post
I'm at least glad to know that I am not the only one with this issue. I'll be looking into getting the mirror that reads it.
From what I could figure out, for 09+, due to the temp sensor actually being routed through the AC amplifier, the sensor readings couldn't be pulled from the OBD bus. I tried all kinds of Toyota codes, but none worked. It was interesting to put some codes from other toyotas into the SG to see what data was there. Most interesting is that there are accessable readings for G-force (fr/rear and left/right).

I ended up finding a TRD overhead console for my SR5 that had the temp reading. I cared up until then, not so much after. For your '13 though, different story.
Old 07-21-2014, 11:35 AM   #7
User Friendly
scottalot is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottalot is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottalot is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottalot is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottalot is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottalot is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottalot is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottalot is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottalot is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottalot is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottalot is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Scott
scottalot's Tacoma Gallery
You could always buy a digital Thermometer from lowes for about 20.00 and put the outside temp receiver in your bed or somewhere under the truck away from heat.