Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Technical Chat

Notices

Chirping during acceleration

Old 07-19-2014, 09:21 AM   #1
jsb12900 is on a distinguished road
jsb12900's Tacoma Gallery
Chirping during acceleration

Details: '07 PreRunner double cab automatic V6, purchased with 120K a few months ago, I haven't done any mods and I don't believe any were done by previous owners

Problem: From a dead stop, there is a chirping noise from under the truck as it accelerates. The noise is not coming from a belt or bearing in the engine bay. It is not the type of constant squeal that you have with a bad water pump bearing, fan bearing or belt but more akin to the rhythmic click of a bad valve. It is most definitely cylindrical in nature and is directly related to tire RPM. A slow acceleration means a slow chirp and the frequency of the "chirping" increases as the truck accelerates. If I let off the power, the sound goes away and will resume at same frequency when I get back on the gas. Shifting is normal and does not affect the noise at all. It only occurs under power and will diminish as speed increases and will eventually cease around 35-40 MPH. Does not occur in reverse and does not happen in neutral when I rev the engine. I have greased the u joints on the drive shaft (stock, 2 piece) and the hanger bearing with no improvement.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks-
Old 07-19-2014, 09:46 AM   #2
User Friendly
scottalot is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottalot is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottalot is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottalot is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottalot is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottalot is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottalot is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottalot is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottalot is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottalot is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottalot is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Scott
scottalot's Tacoma Gallery
Have you tried a better grade fuel? Sure its not the normal Taco tick? My 14' has a little tick, doesn't bother me, these engines are noisy - all the aluminum in them doesn't aid in noise cancelation
Old 07-19-2014, 09:51 AM   #3
1stacoma has a brilliant future1stacoma has a brilliant future1stacoma has a brilliant future1stacoma has a brilliant future1stacoma has a brilliant future1stacoma has a brilliant future1stacoma has a brilliant future1stacoma has a brilliant future1stacoma has a brilliant future1stacoma has a brilliant future1stacoma has a brilliant future

1stacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Supercharger? No..

In all seriousness I know you said you grease the u-joints but your descritpon sounds like u-join. Also if they were greased after going bad grease might not fix. Are the loose?
Old 07-19-2014, 10:05 AM   #4
totmacher has a spectacular aura abouttotmacher has a spectacular aura about

totmacher's Tacoma Gallery
Being a "chirp" that happens under load, I'd try changing at least 1 u-joint anyway. The one furthest back near the axle. It seems prone to go first based on what I read in these forums when my truck started chirping.