1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Brake Pads and shoes

Discussion in 'Technical Chat' started by wrkhrdplyhrd, Jul 20, 2014.

1. Jul 20, 2014 at 10:49 AM
    wrkhrdplyhrd

wrkhrdplyhrd [OP] New Member

Member:
    Southern California
    Vehicle:
    06 PreRun 2wd auto Blk
    Hey guys,

I just had some new brake pads and shoes installed on my stock '06 Tacoma, Pre-Runner, Access Cab, 2wd...

Can anybody tell me about how long they should last (in miles)? I know it depends on driving style, towing, payload, city vs highway, etc, etc.....I'm just looking for a rough idea. I don't know if I should expect 10K or 50K.
    I do 50/50 city-highway driving and on a scale of 1-10 (10 being most aggressive), I drive about a 6.5
    I tow and haul rarely....

Here are the pads I installed on the front: http://www.centricparts.com/products/posiquiet (the Ceramic Pads)

Here are the shoes I installed on the rear:
    http://www.centricparts.com/products/brake-shoes

Thanks in advance

2. Jul 20, 2014 at 8:34 PM
    Andy.G

Andy.G Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Andy
    Virginia
    Vehicle:
    96 tacoma sx 4x4 2.7 5 speed
    Started automatic. Swapped to manual
    Welcome to tw! Yeah you should get 40-50k no problem. As long as everything else associated with brakes stay in good working order. Driving style can change those numbers though. I use gears to downshift so brakes last longer.GL:)

3. Jul 27, 2014 at 10:45 AM
    TRD6Speed

TRD6Speed senior member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    East Hartford, CT
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD Sport Access Cab
    885x with 5100s and top plate spacer for full 3", RCD extended 5100s in rear, dakars, flip kit, LR UCAs, tint, shorty antenna, in channel rain guards,BHLM, blacked out emblem, OEM side steps, weathertechs, debadged, rear diff breather
    May sound crazy buy I am on original brakes....105,xxx miles. I am pricing out rotors and pads right now and stumbled across this. I have a manual and downshift a lot. Non aggressive driver for the most part. No squealing or grinding yet but when I put my lift on I saw they were almost there. That was in feb/march of this year.

4. Jul 28, 2014 at 4:26 AM
    jester156

jester156 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Cumberland, RI
    Vehicle:
    2021 GMC Sierra AT4. 3.0l Duramax
    I am in the same boat, 112k and still original pads and rotors. There is the slightest feel of warping happening now. I am also sourcing out replacement pads and rotors but at this point, my pads still have 1/3 life left.

5. Jul 28, 2014 at 4:32 AM
    T@co_Pr3runn3r

T@co_Pr3runn3r XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Member:
    <----------------->
    Vehicle:
    08 RC Prerunner SR5
    Same here, 107k and still oem pads. I have new ones and have just been watching to get max use and then replace before any metal on metal happens.

6. Aug 9, 2014 at 10:36 AM
    TRD6Speed

TRD6Speed senior member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    East Hartford, CT
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD Sport Access Cab
    885x with 5100s and top plate spacer for full 3", RCD extended 5100s in rear, dakars, flip kit, LR UCAs, tint, shorty antenna, in channel rain guards,BHLM, blacked out emblem, OEM side steps, weathertechs, debadged, rear diff breather
    Ya I barely have some mushiness and that's only under hard braking getting cut off or something.

I think I am getting the Brembo stock replacement rotors and hawk pads. 170ish and I will be doing them myself as they are so easy to do. Prob do the spark plugs while I am at it. I am a little late on those.

7. Aug 11, 2014 at 9:40 AM
    JJ04TACO

JJ04TACO Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    Dallas
    Vehicle:
    04 White DC/TRD
    Fox 2.5 RR front, 2.0 RR rear from AccuTune Offroad, OME Dakar Leafs, Camburg Uniball UCA's, CBI Offroad Bolt on Sliders w/kickout, Scangauge II Uniden Bearcat 880 w/ 3' Firestick on CBI antenna mount B&M Trans Cooler
    I too am on origional shoes and drums at 13x,000 mi. I've replaced the fronts. I inspected the rears a while back and had plenty of shoe left. Though I will replace soon anyway.

Products Discussed in

To Top