1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

CB, Ham or VHF Communication devices

Discussion in 'Technical Chat' started by InTheRough, Jul 26, 2014.

?

Which would you suggest and why?

Poll closed Aug 25, 2014.
  1. CB radio

20.0%
  2. Ham radio

60.0%
  3. VHF radio

20.0%
  1. Jul 26, 2014 at 11:04 PM
    InTheRough

InTheRough [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kolt
    Gig Harbor, WA
    Vehicle:
    '20 Tundra Platinum
    Rock Warrior wheels
    I have been doing some research and I understand parts of it but not all of it. I picked up a few units which kind of spurred this train of thought. I have two CBs and a VHF unit.

If I understand correctly
    CB is an AM transmission between 26.965mhz-27.405mhz
    HAM is an FM transmission between 1.8mhz-450mhz
    VHF can be AM or FM transmission from 30mhz-300mhz

Is this correct? I thought I saw somewhere that VHF can contact a CB unit. If the mhz don't match, how is that possible?

I see CB is more widely used but VHF is better quality and reliability. I would like to have something in my truck that is the most versatile and usable.

What would you guys suggest and why?

Last edited: Jul 26, 2014
  2. Jul 26, 2014 at 11:13 PM
    llibrm

llibrm OH NOOOOOO!

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Winthrop, WA
    Vehicle:
    06 DCSB, 06 LC120 (sold)
    Pelfreybilt Aluminum Bumper, KING 2.5 on all four corners, 4x4 illuminated switch, Cobra 75 w/ 3' Firestick, 2M/ 70cm Radio w/ Diamond NR770HB, Pelfreybilt bed bar, Lightforce Stiker 170s, BD 20" OnX6, BD S2 ditch lites, BD Fogs
    Get your license and become a HAM. The clarity and reliability of a CB cannot come close to that of HAM. You will not regret it.

3. Jul 26, 2014 at 11:15 PM
    VE7OSR

VE7OSR нет войне

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob II
    Okanagan, Canada
    Vehicle:
    05 DCLB TRD Sport
    Armour: All-Pro Skid plates - IFS, transmission, and transfer case. Pelfreybilt rear standard plate bumper, Metal Tech Sliders w/ kickout and dimple die filler plates. Front Suspension: OME 885 + NitroCharger 9000 shocks + 1/2" spacers for a 3" lift. Superbumps replacing stock bumpstops. Camburg ball joint UCA SS braid brake lines Future: ADS Extended length, extended length UCA BJ to increase droop capability Rear Suspension: All-Pro Expedition rear leafs, Walker Evans 27" rear shocks, extended rear brake lines (Wheelers Offroad), U -bolt flip kit, rear Timbren bumpstops. Future: Hammer Hangers, Shock relocate, ADS 12" or 14" shock. Interior: Weatherteck floor liners - front, Wet Okoles- front, ScanGauge, LED interior & map lights. Power moonroof. Exterior: Raider Cobra canopy, retrofit headlight by Insight, LED bulbs all around, modified flasher unit for LEDs. Rear diff breather mod. Front diff vibe problem, driver's side needle bearing replaced with ECGS bushing. yet to install: HID Blazer Fog Retrofit, LED Flood & Spot, + switches, fuse panel. swaybar relocate blocks (build my own)
    HAM also known as Amateur radio has specific frequency ranges allocated throughout the different frequency bands.

Yes, you're correct on the VHF (very hi frequency) band. Amateur radio operates in this band between 144 and 148 MHz, typically using Frequency Modulation (FM
    ) You do need a license to operate as an Amateur radio operator.

See here for the allocation of frequencies over the full range of the Radio Frequency (RF) spectrum used for communication.

4. Jul 26, 2014 at 11:48 PM
    MonkeyProof

MonkeyProof Power Top

Member:
    SoCal- SGV
    I haven't used a CB radio while on the trial in a few years now. Luckily here in Southern California most everybody that offroads has a HAM/race radio. Communication is hardly an issue, unless it involves a CB.

There's even an unofficial SoCal TW simplex vhf channel that we all use :cookiemonster:

5. Jul 26, 2014 at 11:54 PM
    boatbuilder

boatbuilder Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    Tonasket, WA
    Vehicle:
    12 regular cab 4 cyl 4wd
    A lot!
    The problem is not which one as I think a VHF that has been opened up to both business and ham bands as well is the way to go. I am having the problem of where to out it in a 2012 Standard Cab Tacoma. I would love for someone to make a removeable fronit face plate in just a VHF but no one does. Why not? I would put the face up above the mirror. Perfect placement. Anyway. I just use a Bendix King handheld with an external antenna although the range is limited.

6. Jul 26, 2014 at 11:56 PM
    InTheRough

InTheRough [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kolt
    Gig Harbor, WA
    Vehicle:
    '20 Tundra Platinum
    Rock Warrior wheels
    So, just to clearify, if I use the VHF device I can communicate with HAM frequencies (with licensing) but not CB?

The only other upside to the CB I got is that it has a PA setting... meh...

7. Oct 11, 2014 at 10:16 AM
    xaqori

xaqori Grammer knotsy

Member:
    First Name:
    Zac
    Marietta, Georgia
    Vehicle:
    '06 4x4 Limo
    ARB lockers and 4.88s front and rear, OME 886s, Dakars, etc., Safari Snorkel, 17"Fuel Revolvers w/ 35x12.50r17 KM2s, fenders cut 3" all around, Pioneer AVH-P4400BH w/ Backup cam, CB/PA (PA Installed), Weathertech Digis, Foglight anytime, AP: front bumper, skids, and pack rack, custom sliders, Warn 9.5XP, dual VIAIR 480Cs with a 2.5gal tank, OTRATTW switches galore, URD y-pipe, RCI skids, LF 240s, etc.
    Can a VHF communicate with HAM without a license? I'm getting a race radio and would like to be able to use it when I'm not with the team

8. Oct 11, 2014 at 10:42 AM
    cyakker

cyakker Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    SD (at least we're not Mars)
    Vehicle:
    2015 AC, TRD-OR, V6
    Transmission on amateur (ham) frequencies without a license is not permitted.

Curious why UHF FRS/GMRS isn't in this conversation. I find ham/CB/FRS each to have their own set of usefulness. While the performance of ham makes it my preference, I can't just hand someone a radio for the day to stay in touch... a nice advantage to the unlicensed options.

9. Oct 11, 2014 at 10:52 AM
    xaqori

xaqori Grammer knotsy

Member:
    First Name:
    Zac
    Marietta, Georgia
    Vehicle:
    '06 4x4 Limo
    ARB lockers and 4.88s front and rear, OME 886s, Dakars, etc., Safari Snorkel, 17"Fuel Revolvers w/ 35x12.50r17 KM2s, fenders cut 3" all around, Pioneer AVH-P4400BH w/ Backup cam, CB/PA (PA Installed), Weathertech Digis, Foglight anytime, AP: front bumper, skids, and pack rack, custom sliders, Warn 9.5XP, dual VIAIR 480Cs with a 2.5gal tank, OTRATTW switches galore, URD y-pipe, RCI skids, LF 240s, etc.
    Technically you can do that with a HAM if you have a handheld. Just have to be responsible with it and announce that they're under your supervision

10. Oct 11, 2014 at 11:34 AM
    cyakker

cyakker Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    SD (at least we're not Mars)
    Vehicle:
    2015 AC, TRD-OR, V6
    Unlicensed control operator without station licensee present?? I don't think so.

11. Oct 11, 2014 at 12:14 PM
    xaqori

xaqori Grammer knotsy

Member:
    First Name:
    Zac
    Marietta, Georgia
    Vehicle:
    '06 4x4 Limo
    As long as the one supervising is licensed everything should be okay. That's what I've been told.

12. Oct 20, 2014 at 9:59 PM
    Dantes Taco

Dantes Taco Burning Octane 8 carbon atoms at a time.

Member:
    First Name:
    Geoff
    4Lo Oilberta
    Vehicle:
    Taco Whore
    meh. lots.
    FRS is pathetic. Usually the user you hand it to, can't wait to press PTT before they splatter into the mic. range is garbage.
    CB is sketchy and no repeaters; also weird propagation and crazy over-power illegals make it a mess.
    HAM (which encompasses everything from FM VHF to USB / LSB HF & digital modes, CW & Packet, APRS etc) is like comparing a tinker toy to a D6 Cat. DTC or CTCSS Tones can lock out most users from hearing your group.

For General duty trail use, VHF FM (simplex in a group, Duplex or "repeater" for distance) can not be beat. I've set up some 10 meter wire lines to score some DX.

Look me up on QRZ

VA6TAC

Products Discussed in

To Top