1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Rewiring a connector question

Discussion in 'Technical Chat' started by neverstuck, Aug 3, 2014.

1. Aug 3, 2014 at 12:51 PM
    neverstuck

neverstuck [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Vancouver Island
    Vehicle:
    13 DCLB sport
    slide-in camper, OME Nitros w 884's and Dakars, Michelin A/T2, Pro EFX heated towing mirrors, Timbren HD bumpstops, KB VooDoo bed rails and tailgate cap, ImMrYo rvm bracket, G-Tek Fab door sill protectors, Ultragauge, window visors, hood deflector, Wet Okole seatcovers, in-vehicle safe.
    I can't find a connector to replace the 4 pin camera connector (code BN1) that you disconnect when removing the tailgate. Can I remove the 4 pin connectors at this point in the harness and replace them with a simple 4 pin trailer harness connector?

I want to be able to plug an after market license plate brackets camera into the existing toyota camera harness so that when my tailgate is removed I can plug the aftermarket camera into the same harness the tailgate was plugged into, and thus get a backup camera feed on my rearview mirror.

If I remove this stock connector and replace it with a 4pin trailer connector, I can also use a 4 pin connector on my aftermarket camera so the two systems will be interchangeable.

Will this work, or to make life easier, does anyone know how I can get this stock-friendly 4 pin connector??

2. Aug 3, 2014 at 4:25 PM
    welterbf123

welterbf123 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Columbus, OH
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRD Off Road
    12voltsolutions.com plug-n-play remote start system. OVTuned OEM Bed lights Underhood and footwell lights Garmin dash-cam Weathertech side vents, bug shield, mud flaps and floor mats Extang Encore tonnau cover OME BP51 Suspension Front & Back / Dakar Leaf Springs Light Racing UCA's XD Holeshot 17" x 9" Wheels Nitto Trail Grapplers 265/70/R17 TRD Pro Grille Raptor Lights iJDMToy 30" LED Hidden Bar Light Toyota Bed Step
    A trailer harness connector is a bit big. I would go to a wrecking yard and find a connector off of any make/model vehicle that would do the job... You might even be able to get one at Napa.

3. Aug 4, 2014 at 11:30 AM
    neverstuck

neverstuck [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Vancouver Island
    Vehicle:
    13 DCLB sport
    slide-in camper, OME Nitros w 884's and Dakars, Michelin A/T2, Pro EFX heated towing mirrors, Timbren HD bumpstops, KB VooDoo bed rails and tailgate cap, ImMrYo rvm bracket, G-Tek Fab door sill protectors, Ultragauge, window visors, hood deflector, Wet Okole seatcovers, in-vehicle safe.
    Disregard! I found a male and female connector set in the glove box. They were in an plastic bag just like the trailer wires are. I don't know why toyota gave me spare connectors but I'm very happy they did.

Products Discussed in

To Top