1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

power torque reman head nightmare...

Discussion in 'Technical Chat' started by brich85, Aug 14, 2014.

1. Aug 14, 2014 at 6:48 PM
    brich85

brich85 [OP] Member

Member:
    Orange County, CA
    Vehicle:
    1999 Taco 2.7L
    I'm wondering if anyone out there has had this experience.

I had two burnt valves on my 99 2.7, so in an attempt to save time I had a shop order and install a reman'd head. The one they ordered was redone by a company called power torque.

The head arrived with the valve lash way off, so that head had to come off the truck. They sent a new head, the valve lash on this one was worse. But the shop that did the work had a Toyota mechanic set the valve lash on the second head and installed it on the truck. Five min after getting it back I notice it was making a lot of valve noise. So I started poking round and notice a coolant leak. Turns out there was a freeze plug that was barley set in place. Got that fixed, now the only problem left is the valve noise that starts as soon as the engine gets warm. The shop that did the work appears dumbfounded as to what the source of the noise is. It seems to me that it's obviously valves, but valve lash is supposed to be set to specs now.

Anyone have a power torque head? When I started having these issues I read up on power torque and it appears they make sub standard products and fight warranty claims tooth and nail. So now I'm worried this is going to be a problem down the road.

Anyone else out there had this experience?

Products Discussed in

To Top