1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Jacked up tranny

Discussion in 'Technical Chat' started by 2DaMtns, Aug 18, 2014.

1. Aug 18, 2014 at 12:04 AM
    2DaMtns

2DaMtns [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2011 TRD Sport DCLB in MGM
    Lift, tires, stuff
    Hello all. I am new to the forum and could really use some help. I have an 08 DC TRD Tacoma with the factory rear locker, 4.0, 6MT. It has about 50k miles on it. I recently loaned it to a friend and while he has it, it stops going into 1st gear at all, and won't move when it's in any of the other gears, which it goes into freely. It also doesn't move when it's in 4WD.

My brother and I go to get the truck, figure out it's not going to be an easy fix, and have to tow it home. While it was being towed, I could get it to go into 1st gear but it was really hard, and it's also hard to get it back out. My brother is much more mechanically inclined than I am but has a lot more experience with older trucks. He seems to think it's either a clutch or T-case issue, because the rear drive shaft does not move when it's in gear. We cannot smell a burnt clutch, but he said if it was completely burnt up then we maybe wouldn't smell it, as it was the next day when we went to get it.

What makes this a more difficult situation is that the "friend" is being super sketchy and wouldn't tell me exactly what he was doing when the truck broke down. It stopped in a soft, semi-swampy field but it wasn't buried up, and there was no obvious evidence of it being abused other than some slight to moderate off-roading. I will skip the details, but he is out of town on a remote camping trip and unreachable for at least two weeks. He says he's going to pay me back for whatever it costs, but I think I have reason to be skeptical. So, I want to prevent taking it to a dealer in case I get stuck with the bill for long term/forever.

I have a clutch kit ordered in case my brother is right, but he's worried it's something else. I have to drive 2.5 hours back to where the truck is to work on it and am on a tight time budget. If we can't fix it, I have to bite the bullet, tow it two hours to the nearest Toyota dealer, and waste who knows how much time/money waiting to get it back, rent a car, etc. Therefore, I am hoping to get as much info as possible before we tackle it.

Anyone have some magical crystal ball that can tell me what this is? Any recommendations on other things to test? Also, if it is the clutch, are any special tools required other than basic tools and a clutch replacement kit?

About the only other thing I have to offer is that the Maint Req'd light came on the day before this happened. I just bought the truck about three months ago and have put less than 5k on it. It was bought from a dealer and had performed flawlessly before this other than the AC going out (haven't had time to look into that yet but we've had a mild summer here). Has had 1 oil change at a dealer and passed inspection since I bought it.

And obviously, the "friend" will be no more once I either get paid back or figure out he's going to stick me with the bill.

Thanks a million.

2. Aug 18, 2014 at 6:20 AM
    gearcruncher

gearcruncher Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Canadain bumper technician
    Great white North 51.0333° N, 93.8333° W
    Vehicle:
    2010.TRD.SportDCLB4x4Limited leather package
    TRD Sport Rally -5 speed automatic Limited ,Factory heated leather seats ,chrome package,Super white with front windows tinted to 35 % Dick Cepek DC-2 wheels Summer tires - Good year silent armor P265/65R17 Winter tires - Good year P265/65R17 Ultra Ice studded Illuminated 4x4 switch TRD 3rd brake light cover ($20) TRD seat belt shoulder protectors (5). ($50) TRD ...B pillar emblems ($20) TRD rear slider sticker with devil horns ( $6) TRD summer floor matts ($60) TRD steering wheel emblem ($20) TRD floor pedals .($95) TRD shorty antenna ($14) TRD front Windshield emblems ($17) TRD head pillows .($60) TRD head rest protectors TRD door scuff protection $20 TRD floor matt emblems ($40) TRD tow plug emblem . ($40) TRD cigarette lighter with LED.($35) TRD tissue dispenser ($12) TRD front bezel emblems ($9) TRD door emblems ($6) TRD lanyards($9) TRD lisence plates with TRD bolts($50) TRD fender emblems TRD center caps Part Number:PT904-35070-CC ($80) TRD cd
    When you select 1st gear with the truck running and let the clutch out the truck doesnt move ?

Have you tried 4x4 low ?
    From your explanation and If I had to guess , I think your buddy is on the hook for a clutch job .
    I beleive the dealer may be a little pricey for the clutch job . Wouldnt hurt to get 3 different quotations

3. Aug 18, 2014 at 6:26 AM
    tacoman15

tacoman15 Boobies

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Northeast Georgia
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tacoma TRD OR & 1985 SR5 4Runner
    Have you tried checking your slave and master cylinders? When the slave gave out on my 4Runner, I couldn't get it in gear and when I could it sure didn't want to come out of gear. A bad slave cylinder is an easy fix. A bad master is a litter more involved.

This is assuming the truck starts under its own power...

4. Aug 18, 2014 at 6:38 AM
    oldstick

oldstick Medicare Member

Member:
    GA
    I think the "maint requ" is just the oil change/service reminder (every 5000 mi).

The clutch slave cylinder mentioned does sound like something to check. Maybe it got jacked up somehow during the offroading?

That would be the best outcome to hope for. Good Luck.

5. Aug 18, 2014 at 6:40 AM
    2DaMtns

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Lift, tires, stuff
    I have tried 1st and second gears, in 2H, 4H, and 4L and it never moves. It goes into all gears easily except first. I have not checked the slave and master cylinders but will look into them before I drop the tranny. Any tips for doing a clutch job in this model?

And yes, the truck starts under its own power.

6. Aug 18, 2014 at 6:46 AM
    BamaToy1997

BamaToy1997 Wheel Bearing Master

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Navarre, FL
    Vehicle:
    1997 Tacoma 4X4 AKA "Blue Beast"
    best wheel bearings around! www.marionbumper2bumper.com
    Just a thought here, but have you listened for any kind of noise in the transmission area when you DO get it into 1st and let up the clutch? If the clutch is totally shot then you would hear nothing at all, but if it were an internal transmission issue, you would be able to hear a few things possibly "spinning" inside the case. Just a thought.

7. Aug 18, 2014 at 6:48 AM
    tacoman15

tacoman15 Boobies

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Northeast Georgia
    Vehicle:
    I never had to mess with the clutch when I had my Tacoma so I'm no help there. It could be the shift rails/forks may be bent? I dunno how your friend was driving but it isn't exactly a short shift from 1st to 2nd if I remember correctly and he could have thought he was Richard Petty.

I would start with the small things first (slave, master, shift rails, forks, etc) BEFORE you drop the transmission. I promise you will thank me later.

8. Aug 18, 2014 at 6:49 AM
    tacoman15

tacoman15 Boobies

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Northeast Georgia
    Vehicle:
    ^ this too. Also, when it is in first and you let the clutch out, does the truck die or sputter into gear?

9. Aug 18, 2014 at 7:27 AM
    gearcruncher

Member:
    First Name:
    Vehicle:
    TRD Sport Rally -5 speed automatic Limited ,Factory heated leather seats ,chrome package,Super white with front windows tinted to 35 % Dick Cepek DC-2 wheels Summer tires - Good year silent armor P265/65R17 Winter tires - Good year P265/65R17 Ultra Ice studded Illuminated 4x4 switch TRD 3rd brake light cover ($20) TRD seat belt shoulder protectors (5). ($50) TRD ...B pillar emblems ($20) TRD rear slider sticker with devil horns ( $6) TRD summer floor matts ($60) TRD steering wheel emblem ($20) TRD floor pedals .($95) TRD shorty antenna ($14) TRD front Windshield emblems ($17) TRD head pillows .($60) TRD head rest protectors TRD door scuff protection $20 TRD floor matt emblems ($40) TRD tow plug emblem . ($40) TRD cigarette lighter with LED.($35) TRD tissue dispenser ($12) TRD front bezel emblems ($9) TRD door emblems ($6) TRD lanyards($9) TRD lisence plates with TRD bolts($50) TRD fender emblems TRD center caps Part Number:PT904-35070-CC ($80) TRD cd
    You could select first gear while the truck was being towed but it was difficult to go in and out of 1st gear . That would stand to reason since the gear train would be turning from the rear differential into the transfer case and then into the transmission .
    From your explanation , it sounds like everything internally is functioning properly other than the clutch itself .

Here is a little extra reading for you http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/te...on-information-your-6-speed-transmission.html

Last edited: Aug 18, 2014
  10. Aug 20, 2014 at 6:44 AM
    2DaMtns

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Lift, tires, stuff
    I picked up the clutch last night and my brother and I are tearing into it today. I'll let you all know what we find. Thanks for all the help.

11. Aug 20, 2014 at 7:24 AM
    tacoman15

tacoman15 Boobies

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Northeast Georgia
    Vehicle:
    I'm assuming you checked both cylinders and they are both good to go? I'm telling you that you really do not want to have to replace the clutch unless you have to. Unless you don't know how to drive a manual (which I'm sure you do know how) there should be no way in hell that your OEM clutch is already gone to shit. You should get at least double those miles with the OEM clutch.

12. Aug 20, 2014 at 7:32 AM
    2DaMtns

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Lift, tires, stuff
    We're going to check those first. I picked up the clutch just in case. And I know how to drive a stick, I just don't know what the hell happened to it when the other dude had it. No clutch is immune to the antics of an idiot.

13. Aug 20, 2014 at 7:39 AM
    tacoman15

tacoman15 Boobies

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Northeast Georgia
    Vehicle:
    That is a good idea. I am not trying to tell you that you don't know how to drive lol I'm just saying I would be shocked if the clutch is burned out. I forgot you let your buddy drive it around. That sucks he isn't being upfront and owning up to anything.

I honestly think that replacing the slave cylinder will fix your problems, because the way you describe the gears and clutch reminds me when my slave cylinder busted. It was impossible to get it in/out of gear. Once I replaced it everything went back to normal.

14. Aug 20, 2014 at 8:21 AM
    2DaMtns

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Lift, tires, stuff
    The shifter moves into position, and it sounds like things are happening in the tranny, it just won't move when the clutch is let out. And when it is in gear, the truck will coast up and down hills like it's in gear. It's really difficult to get the shifter to move into the position of first gear.

15. Aug 20, 2014 at 2:04 PM
    2DaMtns

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Lift, tires, stuff
    Well, the problem is the clutch, but the disc itself is in pretty damn good shape. The center disc broke free from the outer margin with the friction pads on it. My brother said he's never seen or heard of it happening, which makes me think it's pretty rare. The truck has 50,000 miles on it, and I bought it with 46,xxx on it. The clutch that I pulled out of it has AISIN stamped on it, which is what the tranny has stamped on it, so I assume it's the factory clutch. Has anyone heard of this happening? I am going to take it to the dealer where I bought it and see if they'll reimburse me for the cost of the clutch, but I doubt they will since I didn't take it to the dealer. I'll try to post some pics of this thing when I get a second but wanted to let you all know.

16. Aug 21, 2014 at 5:11 AM
    gearcruncher

Member:
    First Name:
    Vehicle:
    Your issue actually occurs more than most people think to the point where I can say that its a very common problem . Have seen this happen many times
    Did the seller offer you any kind of warranty when they sold you the truck as you might have some wiggle room with only 4K since you made the purchase ?
    Clutches are often considered a wearable part like a set of brake pads and usually not covered unless something is physically broken . The good news is that your clutch is physically broken . Take as many pictures as you can and make sure the warranty company gets to see the pictures . There is a difference between worn out and physically broken .Look at the fine print in your purchase agreement and get ready for a battle if you expect them to help you with coverage for the parts .

Last edited: Aug 21, 2014
  17. Aug 21, 2014 at 5:29 AM
    maineah

maineah Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Maine
    Vehicle:
    4X4 SR5 V6 6spd
    Sounds like you should be asking your friend a few more questions they just don't fall apart with out some abuse.

18. Aug 21, 2014 at 7:26 AM
    BamaToy1997

BamaToy1997 Wheel Bearing Master

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Navarre, FL
    Vehicle:
    1997 Tacoma 4X4 AKA "Blue Beast"
    best wheel bearings around! www.marionbumper2bumper.com
    The only issue I have with thinking it is the master OR slave cylinders, is once the shifter IS engaged into gear, the truck should try to move.

AISIN is one of the factory clutches, but does not mean that it is the original. I think that MAYBE the best you could get from the dealer is cost of the clutch parts. They will not give you money for labor when you do your own work. It's worth a shot to see if they will give you something though.

Agreed! I have seen this happen several times as well, and while abuse CAN cause it to happen, I have seen it happen without abuse, and even had it happen to myself on my old Mustang.

19. Aug 21, 2014 at 10:46 AM
    tacoman15

tacoman15 Boobies

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Northeast Georgia
    Vehicle:
    When mine went out my 4Runner didn't want to move for shit. I tried my hardest to get off the access road at camp and couldn't lol.

I would imagine once the clutch gets hot enough, shit will start separating and cracking. It is starting to seem like your buddy had no clue how to drive a standard transmission and burned the hell out of your clutch.

20. Aug 22, 2014 at 6:41 AM
    maineah

maineah Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Maine
    Vehicle:
    4X4 SR5 V6 6spd
    I have seen dozens of broken clutches not worn like lots of lining, broken and the only cause is abuse. Pretty much you can't break a worn out clutch because the clamping force just isn't there. Some times old clutches reaction springs fall out but that is just old age broken hubs or the center torn out is plan abuse pure and simple. I very seriously doubt the dealer will give you the time of day.

Products Discussed in

To Top