1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Ham Radio RF considerations

Discussion in 'Technical Chat' started by Krohsis, Aug 22, 2014.

1. Aug 22, 2014 at 6:07 PM
    Krohsis

Krohsis [OP] Active Member

Member:
    Hello everyone,

I'm new to the forum, and it looks there is lots of good info here. Looking forward to learning all the cool stuff about the Tacoma.

I did some searching on the above topic and didn't find an answer, so I figured I would post my question.

My question is do I need to be concerned about RF being a problem for the onboard electronics in the truck? I will be using VHF stuff mostly and only in the max range of 100 watts when we are on simplex. We have seen warnings in owners manuals of previous vehicles, but not in the Tacoma manual. Not only am I concerned about the comfort electronics, i.e. Nav, stereo, etc....but also the computers for the drivetrain, and the airbags.

Since we are going to put a canopy on the bed in the near future, I plan to mount the antenna in the hood area on the driver's side. Probably the worst place to put it if RF is going to be an issue, but the best place cosmetically and not having to drill holes in the visible areas.

So, all hams out there, what say you?? To worry or not??

Thanks,

John

NQ7T

2. Aug 27, 2014 at 5:44 AM
    Krohsis

Member:
    Crickets..... ;-)

For future reference if others have questions or concerns on this topic, below is an opinion letter from Toyota.

Toyota Motor Sales USA, Inc.

Customer Relations Department

19001 South Western Avenue

Torrance, CA 90509-2991

www.toyota.com

Telephone: (800)331-4331[​IMG](800)331-4331

Fax: (310)468-7814

Toyota is well aware that there is a sizable group of ham radio enthusiasts in the U.S. market. In fact, per capita, that population is even larger in Japan. Obviously, we would not intentionally turn our backs on these potential vehicle buyers.

As you know, the operating systems in today's vehicles are controlled by a growing number of very sophisticated electronic control modules. Most of these ECM's utilize MOSFET technology, which can be easily damaged by electromagnetic radiation from high power radio transceivers and associated system components.

Understandably, Toyota and the other automotive manufacturers have to be concerned about such potential problems, because they could affect the operation of electronic systems that control vital vehicle functions such as the ignition system, fuel management system, supplemental restraint system, cruise control, anti-lock brakes, and others. The very conservative position stated in selected Toyota technical manuals recognizes that, as the vehicle manufacturer, we have no control over the wide range of variable circumstances and unforeseen conditions that could be involved in the after-sale installation and operation of those system components.

In a "worst case" situation, vehicle electronic components could be damaged, and/or the proper and safe operation of the vehicle might be compromised if, for example, any of the following situations (and potentially others) existed:

- The transceiver is not "type-accepted."
    - The power and/or antenna cables radiate RF current.
    - Routing of the power and/or antenna cables results in inductive or capacitive coupling.
    - Transmitter, feedline and/or antenna inefficiencies result in an unacceptable level of, RF radiation exposure to the ECM's.
    - The standing wave ratio is unacceptably high.
    - The antenna ground plane is inadequate.

We can understand your interest in obtaining information from Toyota that would provide detailed recommendations on how to properly install ham radio components in our vehicles or, conversely, how to avoid specific potential problems. As a result of several inquiries such as yours, Toyota Motor Sales, U.S.A., Inc. petitioned our parent company in Japan to provide as much information as possible that would assist ham radio enthusiasts in making informed decisions.

Their response provides basic installation guidelines (outlined in the attachment) which we trust will be of assistance to you. Although it may not fully answer all your specific requests, Toyota must take reasonable precautions to limit our potential legal liability, because the full range of possible variables noted earlier could never be fully anticipated. Also, more detailed information that would provide the operational details of Toyota's electronic system is considered proprietary.

Contacts such as yours are always welcomed, because it allows us to monitor specific consumer interests in the U.S. market. Thank you for the time you have taken to call us, and your interest in Toyota vehicles.

Attachment

2-WAY RADIOS IN TOYOTA VEHICLES

Installation of a 2-way radio in Toyota vehicles should not present problems under the following conditions:
    * The transceiver must be type-accepted by the FCC, and not modified in any way.
    * Maximum output power complies with FCC regulations (100 watts).
    * All installation and operating instructions provided by Toyota and the equipment manufacturer must be followed closely.
    * The antenna must be installed as far away as possible from all vehicle electronic control modules (ECM) or other onboard computer/sensors.
    * The antenna cabling must be routed no closer than 20 cm (7-7/8 inches) to any ECM or other onboard computers/sensors.
    * Antenna and power cabling must not be routed along side or in conjunction with the vehicles wire harness. It is always preferable to cross vehicle harness at right angles when possible. Antenna and antenna cabling should be properly adjusted to obtain the lowest possible standing wave ratio (SWR).

It must be emphasized that, under the terms of Toyota's new vehicle warranty, and damage caused by RF energy from a higher power mobile radio is specifically excluded from coverage because it is not the result of faulty materials or workmanship. Accordingly, all such responsibility is assumed by the owner.

3. Sep 2, 2014 at 7:26 PM
    gfiber

gfiber Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Gary
    Seattle, WA
    Vehicle:
    2017 Black TRD Sport Access Cab
    TRD sport pkg, Towing Pkg, Ham radio installation, bed lights, front 32 inch LED Bar behind the grill.
    Hi John,

In my 2009 Toyota Tacoma I am running HF, VHF, UHF, 900 MHz and 1.2 GHz all with no issues to date. 100 watts on HF is max with lower power 50 Watts and under for the other bands. I am powered direct from the battery and I bonded the truck in many places for better HF performance.

Gary K8IZ

4. Sep 5, 2014 at 12:40 PM
    Shaggy1911

Shaggy1911 Member

Member:
    Virginia
    Vehicle:
    14 TRD Sport DCLB
    I ran a dual band VHF in my 2003 Tacoma, mostly low power, but the occasional "high" setting didn't affect anything. Have to decide if / how I want to put it back in the 2014.

5. Sep 5, 2014 at 12:46 PM
    bjmoose

bjmoose Bullwinkle J. Moose

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    San Jose CA
    Vehicle:
    '11 Std Cab 4x4 5sp
    OME suspension, ARB Air Lockers, CBI/Relentless/Pelfrey armor, HAM radio
  6. Sep 21, 2014 at 4:34 PM
    Krohsis

Member:
    thanks guys! I know the roof is the best place for the antenna, but any of you put the antenna on a mount on the hood area, across from the AM/FM antenna? This will be a 2m/70cm setup...

Products Discussed in

To Top