1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Replacing oil filter bracket on '97 2.7 Tacoma

Discussion in 'Technical Chat' started by 4Xtruck, Aug 30, 2014.

1. Aug 30, 2014 at 8:34 PM
    4Xtruck

4Xtruck [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Southern California
    Vehicle:
    1997 2.7 4WD Xtra cab
    I looked all over the net for directions on removing and replacing the oil filter bracket. All I found were people asking others to post the directions. I'm no expert, but I thought my experience might help others. Let me start by saying this isn't an easy job due to cramped quarters. You'll need various socket extensions, including a wobble one.

1) I jacked up the front end of my Tacoma and removed the passenger side wheel.

2) I removed the oil filter through the wheel well, using a universal chain oil filter removal tool.

3) I removed the 2 bolts and 1 nut. The right bolt was very challenging, requiring a wobble extension and a lot of time to break it free.

4) I removed the bracket and cleaned it.

5) The O-ring wasn't about to come out of the shaft coming out of the engine, so I just used a razor blade to cut it.

6) I put silicone O-ring lube on a new gasket and O-ring and reinstalled the bracket.

7) I replaced the 2 bolts and nut and torqued them to 21 foot pounds. At least I did my best to do so. There was no way I could get the torque wrench in to torque the right bolt, so I just had to guess on tightness. Possibly if you have a helper you may be able to have one torque it from the top while the other holds the socket on the head of the bolt, though I didn't have a helper available to test this out.

8) I put on a new OEM oil filter, started up the truck and checked for leaks. It appears to be holding up fine.

Products Discussed in

To Top