Delta00's 2002 Tacoma 4WD

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Technical Chat

Notices

How To: Replace Your OEM Fog Light Switch with an OTRATTW Switch

Old 09-03-2014, 02:07 AM   #1
SteveO86 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteveO86 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteveO86 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteveO86 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteveO86 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteveO86 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteveO86 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteveO86 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteveO86 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteveO86 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteveO86 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: Ground Radar Systems Craftsman
Name: Steve
SteveO86's Tacoma Gallery
How To: Replace Your OEM Fog Light Switch with an OTRATTW Switch

Alright guys and gals, it has taken me too long and for that I apologize but here is the writeup on how I replaced my stock fog light switch with an OTRATTW one for a uniform looking dash.

DISCLAIMER: Do this mod at your own risk! I accept no responsibility for any damages to your vehicle while attempting this modification.

Side Note: I was not able to get the top indicator lamp to work. The Tacoma uses a ground trigger to activate the fog light relay, thus there is no electricity in the circuit to activate the light. You could wire in a relay and make it work, but that was more than I was willing to do as the indicator lamp isn't a big deal to me.

First, disconnect the negative side of your battery to ensure you don't shock yourself or short something in the truck. **I forgot to do this and spent 2 hours trying to find a blown fuse that controlled all of my exterior marker lights and dash lights.**

Next, it's time to disassemble the dash and fit the new switches. I followed BBYE V8's writeup linked below for that part.

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...-location.html

Side Note: I moved my inverter switch to the bottom row of buttons. To do that, I had to modify the socket for the switch where the lower blank was. Just cut a small groove on the right hand side of the new socket and the switch will slide right in. I also had to cut a bit of electrical tape behind the dash to get the slack in the wires to relocate the switch.

On to the meat an potatoes, the wiring.

After you pull the OEM fog light switch out you will see 4 wires on the connector.

White with a Black Stripe: Switch Ground
Blue: Fog Light Trigger
Green with a White Stripe: Dash Illumination Ground
Green: Dash Illumination Positive

The OTRATTW switch you ordered will determine the final pin-outs of your connections. Use the wiring diagram provided with the switches you ordered. It will look like the image below or you can go to http://www.otrattw.net/wiring-diagrams.html and get yours.

What ever your pin-out, you will want to use the following connections:

White w/ Black Stripe Wire --> the pin labeled "From source with in-line fuse"
Blue Wire --> the pin labeled "to your relay or accessory"
Green w/ White Stripe Wire --> the pin labeled "Ground for the lower lamp"
Green Wire --> the pin labeled "Normally connects to your dash light circuit"

I ordered the V1D1JHHB switch so it ended up like the picture below.

You may also need to extend the factory wires like me. I recommend using a lower gauge (thicker) wire (I used 18) than the factory wire. Make sure that you keep track of what wire is what if you don't have different colors. I used two green wires as you can see, but I marked the ground side with strips if electrical tape. (Far left hole is the fog light wires in the picture below)

I also recommend soldering on the female quick disconnects to ensure a strong physical and electrical connection to the switch.

Once your wiring is prepped, plug in your switches and reconnect your battery to make sure that everything works. The lower light should illuminate when the dash lights are on and fog lights should work normally.

If everything works out, it's time to reassemble your dash and enjoy your new switches while you crack open a beer with your dad who helped a lot by working on a CB install at the same time.

This is my first writeup on here, so if you have any questions please feel free to contact me. I'll be glad to help in any way I can.
Old 09-03-2014, 08:38 AM   #2
yeah...im a newbie
Andrew K is on a distinguished road

Name: Andrew
Andrew K's Tacoma Gallery
great write up!
Old 09-03-2014, 10:21 PM   #3
Resident Otaku
Gaunt596 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGaunt596 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGaunt596 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGaunt596 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGaunt596 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGaunt596 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGaunt596 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGaunt596 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGaunt596 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGaunt596 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGaunt596 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matthew
Gaunt596's Tacoma Gallery
Any particular reason the top LED wont work? I thought LED's only needed a flow of electrons to light up.
Old 09-04-2014, 02:57 AM   #4
SteveO86 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteveO86 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteveO86 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteveO86 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteveO86 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteveO86 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteveO86 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteveO86 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteveO86 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteveO86 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteveO86 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaunt596 View Post
Any particular reason the top LED wont work? I thought LED's only needed a flow of electrons to light up.
I'm not sure, in theory you are 100% correct. The only thing that I can think of is that since the fog light relay is activated by closing the ground side of the circuit, it puts the LED in the switch at the wrong polarity. I was able to get the upper LEDs to work on my CB and Bumper light switches by feeding a positive line through them. I disconnected them after I couldn't get the Fog Light switch to work.
Old 09-04-2014, 06:21 AM   #5
LRGRNR
Sandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Sandman614's Tacoma Gallery
You may have mentioned it but I only glanced through. The otrattw switches don't fit without modifying the hole.

Since the white/black wire is ground shouldn't it be on pin 8? This should complete the circuit for the switch light and still turn on your fogs. If that doesn't work try switching pin 3 and 8 (switching the polarity).

Otherwise great write up!
Old 09-04-2014, 04:10 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandman614 View Post
You may have mentioned it but I only glanced through. The otrattw switches don't fit without modifying the hole.

Since the white/black wire is ground shouldn't it be on pin 8? This should complete the circuit for the switch light and still turn on your fogs. If that doesn't work try switching pin 3 and 8 (switching the polarity).

Otherwise great write up!
You are correct, the hole needs to be modified. I linked BBYE V8's writeup on the physical install at the top of the OP.

I did try putting the white and black wire on pin 8 and swapped the polarity like you mentioned. All that did was illuminate the upper LED when the fog lights were off. This is because the circuit is always looking for the shortest path to ground and when the switch is on, a dead short has less resistance than the LED does.

I think the easiest way to get the upper LED to work would be to use a relay to provide a +12v to the LED when the switch is on.
Old 09-04-2014, 06:38 PM   #7
LRGRNR
Sandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Sandman614's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveO86 View Post
You are correct, the hole needs to be modified. I linked BBYE V8's writeup on the physical install at the top of the OP.

I did try putting the white and black wire on pin 8 and swapped the polarity like you mentioned. All that did was illuminate the upper LED when the fog lights were off. This is because the circuit is always looking for the shortest path to ground and when the switch is on, a dead short has less resistance than the LED does.

I think the easiest way to get the upper LED to work would be to use a relay to provide a +12v to the LED when the switch is on.
Right-o. Sounds like you got this handled
Old 09-05-2014, 11:51 AM   #8
yeah...im a newbie
Andrew K is on a distinguished road

Name: Andrew
Andrew K's Tacoma Gallery
after digging and reading through lots of sites, i talked to the otrattw switch people, you need a upper and lower independent led switch. i have one on order, we'll see what happens.
Old 11-22-2014, 06:10 PM   #9
MightyMouse-SCT is one of the sharper tools in the shedMightyMouse-SCT is one of the sharper tools in the shedMightyMouse-SCT is one of the sharper tools in the shedMightyMouse-SCT is one of the sharper tools in the shedMightyMouse-SCT is one of the sharper tools in the shedMightyMouse-SCT is one of the sharper tools in the shedMightyMouse-SCT is one of the sharper tools in the shedMightyMouse-SCT is one of the sharper tools in the shedMightyMouse-SCT is one of the sharper tools in the shedMightyMouse-SCT is one of the sharper tools in the shedMightyMouse-SCT is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Gabriel
MightyMouse-SCT's Tacoma Gallery
Do you know where I can get the small switches that go under the radio ? I'm out of room by the door.
Old 11-22-2014, 06:20 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gelo760 View Post
Do you know where I can get the small switches that go under the radio ? I'm out of room by the door.
Some guys use a dremel and cut out the slots to make an OTRATTW switch fit there as shown in these thread.
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/lig...fits-here.html
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/lig...2012-taco.html

Others use the blanks to put in the small rocker switches.
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...es-blanks.html
Old 03-25-2015, 07:55 PM   #11
stattonmw has a brilliant futurestattonmw has a brilliant futurestattonmw has a brilliant futurestattonmw has a brilliant futurestattonmw has a brilliant futurestattonmw has a brilliant futurestattonmw has a brilliant futurestattonmw has a brilliant futurestattonmw has a brilliant futurestattonmw has a brilliant futurestattonmw has a brilliant future

Name: Statton
stattonmw's Tacoma Gallery
Could you by any chance tell me where the fuse was that you blew like you mention?? Just did the same thing...