Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Technical Chat

Notices

Motor Oil Analysis

View Poll Results: What kind of oil do you use?
Synthetic Oil 409 73.17%
Partially Synthetic 26 4.65%
Conventional Oil (non Synthetic) 124 22.18%
Voters: 559. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-22-2009, 11:50 AM   #21
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timicha View Post
thanks everyone, has any of you used conventional oil and then switch to synthetic? can you tell a difference if you have and if so what are they.
I noticed a longer oil life, a little more mpg.
Old 04-26-2009, 06:41 AM   #23
Plain Jane Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedPlain Jane Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedPlain Jane Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedPlain Jane Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedPlain Jane Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedPlain Jane Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedPlain Jane Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedPlain Jane Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedPlain Jane Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedPlain Jane Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedPlain Jane Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Plain Jane Taco's Tacoma Gallery
I've always been a Castrol GTX dino juice man. Never an issue with it in 20 years of use. Kinda old school too with 3k mile intervals....hey, it's cheap and easy...why not?

GTX is readily available @ my local store in 5w-20...probably just stick with that. I might think about a blend...maybe. Trucks only got 400 miles on it, so I've got time to debate.
Old 04-26-2009, 04:08 PM   #24
No matter where you go there you are.
taco084gb is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco084gb is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco084gb is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco084gb is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco084gb is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco084gb is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco084gb is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco084gb is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco084gb is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco084gb is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco084gb is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Galen
taco084gb's Tacoma Gallery
Have a question. Does it matter if you stay with the same weight but switch from semi synthetic to a non synthetic oil or to a fully synthetic oil? Is there any harm in this if so what? I have had mixed answers from stores on this from no it will not harm, or you should stay with one kind only and not mix. What is your guys opinion on this.
Thanx
Oh using conventional oil now Castrol 5W30 but was using Semi synthetic Castrol but is now called High Mileage Castrol and not semi synthetic.
Old 04-26-2009, 04:13 PM   #25
Tacoma02TRD is a jewel in the roughTacoma02TRD is a jewel in the roughTacoma02TRD is a jewel in the rough

Tacoma02TRD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by RelentlessTaco View Post
Mobil 1 5-30 full synthetic here.
Same thing here as well
Old 04-27-2009, 01:18 AM   #27
Timicha
Timicha is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimicha is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimicha is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimicha is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimicha is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimicha is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimicha is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimicha is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimicha is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimicha is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimicha is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: TIM
Timicha's Tacoma Gallery
I've heard a lot of things about switching from a conventional oil to a synthetic. some people say it doesn't matter and then others have told me that switching to synthetic will ruin gaskets and what not. so I'll have to look into this some more and let you know

Quote:
Originally Posted by taco084gb View Post
Have a question. Does it matter if you stay with the same weight but switch from semi synthetic to a non synthetic oil or to a fully synthetic oil? Is there any harm in this if so what? I have had mixed answers from stores on this from no it will not harm, or you should stay with one kind only and not mix. What is your guys opinion on this.
Thanx
Oh using conventional oil now Castrol 5W30 but was using Semi synthetic Castrol but is now called High Mileage Castrol and not semi synthetic.
Old 04-27-2009, 07:55 AM   #28
hillbillynwv is one of the sharper tools in the shedhillbillynwv is one of the sharper tools in the shedhillbillynwv is one of the sharper tools in the shedhillbillynwv is one of the sharper tools in the shedhillbillynwv is one of the sharper tools in the shedhillbillynwv is one of the sharper tools in the shedhillbillynwv is one of the sharper tools in the shedhillbillynwv is one of the sharper tools in the shedhillbillynwv is one of the sharper tools in the shedhillbillynwv is one of the sharper tools in the shedhillbillynwv is one of the sharper tools in the shed

hillbillynwv's Tacoma Gallery
Mobil 1 5W30 Extended Performance w/Mobil 1 Extended Performance oil Filter......cost about $48 and I change it myself.
Old 04-29-2009, 03:45 AM   #29
rabble rabble rabble
dud122 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddud122 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddud122 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddud122 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddud122 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddud122 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddud122 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddud122 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddud122 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddud122 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddud122 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: Humane Officer
Name: Dan
dud122's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to dud122
I use valvoline max life synthetic blend because i don't know what kind of oil the previous owner used and she's got about 90k on her.
Old 04-29-2009, 12:40 PM   #30
Krp2nite is on a distinguished road
Krp2nite's Tacoma Gallery
Amsoil 0-20 in my 2.7 tacoma
Amsoil 0-30 in my 4.0 4-runner

EAO57 filters in both
Old 04-29-2009, 01:27 PM   #31
BSPDX is one of the sharper tools in the shedBSPDX is one of the sharper tools in the shedBSPDX is one of the sharper tools in the shedBSPDX is one of the sharper tools in the shedBSPDX is one of the sharper tools in the shedBSPDX is one of the sharper tools in the shedBSPDX is one of the sharper tools in the shedBSPDX is one of the sharper tools in the shedBSPDX is one of the sharper tools in the shedBSPDX is one of the sharper tools in the shedBSPDX is one of the sharper tools in the shed
BSPDX's Tacoma Gallery
I'm using Redline right now... I used it in my S2000, but I'm going to switch over to Amsoil or Mobil 1 soon... Real soon!
Old 04-29-2009, 04:49 PM   #32
MassTaco has a spectacular aura aboutMassTaco has a spectacular aura about

MassTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by taco084gb View Post
Thanx
You can switch synthetic -> conventional or conventional -> synthetic as much as you want. Heck, you can even mix the two together if you feel so inclined. The truth is that it makes absolutely no difference. The detergents and anti-wear additive packages will be virtually identical between quality conventional and synthetic oil. The biggest difference is in the base-stocks, group III, IV, or V (synthetic) base-stocks will be more stable over a broader range of operating temperatures with a higher resistance to oxidation and thermal breakdown.
Old 06-09-2009, 06:42 AM   #33
steve r is a name known to allsteve r is a name known to allsteve r is a name known to allsteve r is a name known to allsteve r is a name known to allsteve r is a name known to all

steve r's Tacoma Gallery
Mobil 1 syn
Old 06-09-2009, 07:11 AM   #34
TacoTycoon is a splendid one to beholdTacoTycoon is a splendid one to beholdTacoTycoon is a splendid one to beholdTacoTycoon is a splendid one to beholdTacoTycoon is a splendid one to beholdTacoTycoon is a splendid one to beholdTacoTycoon is a splendid one to behold

Name: Justin
TacoTycoon's Tacoma Gallery
I have been using PP, it has been getting really good UOAs on BITOG.
Old 06-11-2009, 05:01 PM   #35
\\//\\// ][ IL IL
dropthattaco is on a distinguished road
dropthattaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post
I use Mobil 1 Fully Synthetic. Its always given good protection, and my oil samples always come back really good.
Do you send your oil to a lab or something?
Old 06-12-2009, 04:26 AM   #37
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jandy
Janster's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timicha View Post
I've heard a lot of things about switching from a conventional oil to a synthetic. some people say it doesn't matter and then others have told me that switching to synthetic will ruin gaskets and what not. so I'll have to look into this some more and let you know
That's probably on an individual basis.

I bought my 96 tacoma when it had 60K miles on it and I owned it till it had 110k miles(sold it). I put synthetics in at 60K. The only problems I developed was the oil pan started sweating and I lost about 1/2 quart of oil every 4,000 miles.

On my Jeep Wrangler - I bought it with 80K miles on it and it currently only has 87K miles (over a period of 6 years). I put synthetics in immediately after I bought it. The only problems I've noticed with it, is the lifters tap at startup and they eventually quiet down when the engine is warm. Common problem with Jeeps & using synthetics.

Synthetics penetrate & cleanse the engine better than conventional oils. I think the benefits of better penetration/lubrication far out-weigh the fact that you may consume oil or develope small leaks. Every situation is different and it depends on the overall history of the vehicle itself. I highly doubt any oils will ruin anything that wasn't already abused to begin with.
Old 06-12-2009, 03:35 PM   #38
bobwilson1977 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbobwilson1977 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbobwilson1977 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbobwilson1977 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbobwilson1977 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbobwilson1977 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbobwilson1977 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbobwilson1977 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbobwilson1977 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbobwilson1977 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbobwilson1977 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

bobwilson1977's Tacoma Gallery
I've used nothing but plain 10W-30 in mine. 220,000 miles later, it still runs like new. I did a compression test recently and it is still at factory specs. I usually get whatever's on sale. My analysis is that if you change your oil every 3,000 miles, it doesn't hardly matter what you use. It'll last just as long. My brother has over 260,000 on his Avalon, which has a much more sophisticated engine than mine. Wal-Mart regular oil all the way with Wal-Mart oil filters.
Old 06-15-2009, 12:11 AM   #40
xDEADBIRDx is on a distinguished road

xDEADBIRDx's Tacoma Gallery
not to change the subject, but what about oil filters? been using toyota filters ever since. what about like a k&n oil filter or something? anybody notice any difference?