Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Technical Chat

Notices

Motor Oil Analysis

View Poll Results: What kind of oil do you use?
Synthetic Oil 409 73.17%
Partially Synthetic 26 4.65%
Conventional Oil (non Synthetic) 124 22.18%
Voters: 559. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-15-2009, 01:15 AM   #41
Timicha
Timicha is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimicha is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimicha is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimicha is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimicha is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimicha is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimicha is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimicha is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimicha is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimicha is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimicha is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: TIM
Timicha's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by xDEADBIRDx View Post
not to change the subject, but what about oil filters? been using toyota filters ever since. what about like a k&n oil filter or something? anybody notice any difference?
I've never used anything besides K&n and the ocasional Carquest filter, but i've never noticed a difference between those too.
Old 06-15-2009, 02:56 AM   #42
go shit in your hat
brianr is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrianr is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrianr is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrianr is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrianr is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrianr is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrianr is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrianr is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrianr is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrianr is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrianr is one of the sharper tools in the shed
brianr's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post
I use Mobil 1 Fully Synthetic. Its always given good protection, and my oil samples always come back really good.

yeah, what he said^^^.
Old 06-15-2009, 03:05 AM   #43
I KEEEEEL YOU
Burgman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurgman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurgman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurgman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurgman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurgman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurgman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurgman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurgman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurgman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurgman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Stephen
Burgman's Tacoma Gallery
where are yall getting these oil samples done
Old 06-18-2009, 05:01 PM   #44
Life is good!!
johneman is one of the sharper tools in the shedjohneman is one of the sharper tools in the shedjohneman is one of the sharper tools in the shedjohneman is one of the sharper tools in the shedjohneman is one of the sharper tools in the shedjohneman is one of the sharper tools in the shedjohneman is one of the sharper tools in the shedjohneman is one of the sharper tools in the shedjohneman is one of the sharper tools in the shedjohneman is one of the sharper tools in the shedjohneman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Aviation Ordinance E-5
Name: Ken
johneman's Tacoma Gallery
Always use Valvoline 5W-30 and change oil & filter every 3000 to 3500 miles. No problems with engines in previous trucks.
Old 06-18-2009, 06:58 PM   #45
whitebread is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhitebread is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhitebread is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhitebread is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhitebread is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhitebread is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhitebread is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhitebread is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhitebread is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhitebread is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhitebread is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
whitebread's Tacoma Gallery
I use Mobil1 and change it every 2500. The dealer does the oil at the 5k services and I provide the oil...I do it in between the 5k services myself. (Did this on my past three vehicles and never had oil related problems...even on engines prone to them.)
Old 06-18-2009, 07:08 PM   #46
edc has a spectacular aura aboutedc has a spectacular aura about

edc's Tacoma Gallery
I changed my oil at 1,000 miles to valvoline full synthetic and will continue to use it from now on.
Old 06-21-2009, 07:09 AM   #47
clowns to the left-jokers to the right
hoosiertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedhoosiertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedhoosiertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedhoosiertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedhoosiertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedhoosiertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedhoosiertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedhoosiertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedhoosiertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedhoosiertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedhoosiertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Ben
hoosiertaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burgman View Post
where are yall getting these oil samples done
per recommendation here at TW.............Blackstone Laboratories.

I've had three done and I'm pleased.
http://www.blackstone-labs.com/
Old 06-21-2009, 07:48 AM   #48
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
T@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shed

T@co_Pr3runn3r's Tacoma Gallery
going with penzoil platinum this time based on wear metal analysis results chart with k&n filter.
Old 06-24-2009, 05:28 PM   #49
stuck on stupid
drunkaholic is on a distinguished road

drunkaholic's Tacoma Gallery
i been using conventional oil in my truck for years but now i see i wanna switch it up to full synthetic. any adverse effects of doing so?
Old 06-27-2009, 02:02 PM   #50
09 but I drive a 012 Expedition...
tacoholic is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoholic is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoholic is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoholic is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoholic is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoholic is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoholic is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoholic is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoholic is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoholic is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoholic is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jeff...I'm pretty sure
tacoholic's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to tacoholic
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post
I use Mobil 1 Fully Synthetic. Its always given good protection, and my oil samples always come back really good.
xwhatever number I am! Fully synthetic in anything that's got a new motor and I can put it in.
Old 07-15-2009, 06:28 PM   #51
Lord of Tomfoolery
genxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sean
genxer36's Tacoma Gallery
I use what ever Synthetic is onsale. I used conventional oil up to 80k miles & have been using fully synthetic ever since.
Old 08-01-2009, 07:51 PM   #52
Believe
phynyx38 is one of the sharper tools in the shedphynyx38 is one of the sharper tools in the shedphynyx38 is one of the sharper tools in the shedphynyx38 is one of the sharper tools in the shedphynyx38 is one of the sharper tools in the shedphynyx38 is one of the sharper tools in the shedphynyx38 is one of the sharper tools in the shedphynyx38 is one of the sharper tools in the shedphynyx38 is one of the sharper tools in the shedphynyx38 is one of the sharper tools in the shedphynyx38 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
phynyx38's Tacoma Gallery
I've been using conventional oil, but have switched to synthetic at 18,000 miles at my bro's urging. Looking forward to seeing the difference. I am using Mobil 1.
Old 08-01-2009, 09:16 PM   #53
bigyetti has much to be proud ofbigyetti has much to be proud ofbigyetti has much to be proud ofbigyetti has much to be proud ofbigyetti has much to be proud ofbigyetti has much to be proud ofbigyetti has much to be proud ofbigyetti has much to be proud ofbigyetti has much to be proud of
Name: mike
bigyetti's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timicha View Post
thanks everyone, has any of you used conventional oil and then switch to synthetic? can you tell a difference if you have and if so what are they.
yes . i noticed it as soon as i started it up. current mileage 10145. moble 1, but will go to pennzoil platiunm at 25000
Old 08-09-2009, 04:35 PM   #54
gfiber is a splendid one to beholdgfiber is a splendid one to beholdgfiber is a splendid one to beholdgfiber is a splendid one to beholdgfiber is a splendid one to beholdgfiber is a splendid one to behold

Name: Gary
gfiber's Tacoma Gallery
I like a little more protection at cold temps so I changed to 10W-30. Was using Castrol Syntec Blend. In Seattle the temp does not get nearly as cold as Ohio where I am originally from, but I have run 10W-30 in conventional oil or a Syntec Blend. never tried a full synthetic oil yet.

Used to be when one changed from one brand of oil to another sometimes foaming would be a result. I remember I saw many autos having cold water sludge in Ohio, seemd most of those were running a Standard Oil products oil.

For filters I have been using WIX oil and air filters.

I used Penzoil 10W-30 for years with good results, changed oil and filter at 3,000 miles.

Seems there are as many brands of motor oil as bottled water anymore.

Just got a New Tacoma last Sunday. 632 miles on it.

Gary K8IZ
Washington State Resident
PG-19-6691
Old 08-09-2009, 05:09 PM   #55
Omnipotent
Hootbro is one of the sharper tools in the shedHootbro is one of the sharper tools in the shedHootbro is one of the sharper tools in the shedHootbro is one of the sharper tools in the shedHootbro is one of the sharper tools in the shedHootbro is one of the sharper tools in the shedHootbro is one of the sharper tools in the shedHootbro is one of the sharper tools in the shedHootbro is one of the sharper tools in the shedHootbro is one of the sharper tools in the shedHootbro is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army:
Hootbro's Tacoma Gallery
^ What the hell is "cold water sludge"? Never heard of such a thing.
Old 08-09-2009, 08:23 PM   #56
gfiber is a splendid one to beholdgfiber is a splendid one to beholdgfiber is a splendid one to beholdgfiber is a splendid one to beholdgfiber is a splendid one to beholdgfiber is a splendid one to behold

gfiber's Tacoma Gallery
You pull the valve covers off and the inside would be covered with yellowish white almost like shaving cream and the top of the heads too. But there was no water leak. " cold water sludge" we used to call it. I always thought it was caused by just small town driving and seemed the oil from the Standard Oil company seemed worse for it. At that time I was using Sunoco oil products and did not seem to have that issue.

Its probably local northwest Ohio slang such as the "berm of the road" means the shoulder there too.

Gary K8IZ
Old 08-09-2009, 09:04 PM   #57
Omnipotent
Hootbro is one of the sharper tools in the shedHootbro is one of the sharper tools in the shedHootbro is one of the sharper tools in the shedHootbro is one of the sharper tools in the shedHootbro is one of the sharper tools in the shedHootbro is one of the sharper tools in the shedHootbro is one of the sharper tools in the shedHootbro is one of the sharper tools in the shedHootbro is one of the sharper tools in the shedHootbro is one of the sharper tools in the shedHootbro is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army:
Hootbro's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by gfiber View Post
You pull the valve covers off and the inside would be covered with yellowish white almost like shaving cream and the top of the heads too. But there was no water leak. " cold water sludge" we used to call it. I always thought it was caused by just small town driving and seemed the oil from the Standard Oil company seemed worse for it. At that time I was using Sunoco oil products and did not seem to have that issue.

Its probably local northwest Ohio slang such as the "berm of the road" means the shoulder there too.

Gary K8IZ

OK, now I know what you are talking about. That was usually a sign of oil not coming to temp long enough for the moisture to burn off.
Old 08-22-2009, 04:55 PM   #58
Banned
Isthatahemi is one of the sharper tools in the shedIsthatahemi is one of the sharper tools in the shedIsthatahemi is one of the sharper tools in the shedIsthatahemi is one of the sharper tools in the shedIsthatahemi is one of the sharper tools in the shedIsthatahemi is one of the sharper tools in the shedIsthatahemi is one of the sharper tools in the shedIsthatahemi is one of the sharper tools in the shedIsthatahemi is one of the sharper tools in the shedIsthatahemi is one of the sharper tools in the shedIsthatahemi is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Isthatahemi's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by gfiber View Post
I like a little more protection at cold temps so I changed to 10W-30.
FYI - 0W30 or 5W30 gives better protection at lower temperatures.....
Old 08-22-2009, 05:42 PM   #59

gfiber's Tacoma Gallery
Well I know 5W-30 is thinner. I was thinking about the bearings not being dry when I started the engine. I have seen thin oil run out of bearings, usualy not overnight but during a rebuild. There I used to use STP but now there are some pretty good lubs just for rebuilding engines. Also I used to pack the oil pumps in vaseilene if I did not have a means of spinning them up before I attempted to start the rebuild the first time. Vaseline seemed to stay in the pump and provided a suction upon starting the oil pressure used to jump right up when I did that. Had a neighbor use 10w oil and when he finally got around to starting the engine, the oil pressure did not come up and he spun the mains for the 2nd time.

In Seattle we don't get real cold. I ran 10W-30 in my vehicles for years and moved the 2005 RAV4 to that viscosity too.

Everybody likes something different and that's fine for sure.
Old 08-24-2009, 07:02 AM   #60
I dub thee malicious!
007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mark
007Tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to 007Tacoma
Amsoil when I can afford it. Mostly I run Mobil 1 Full Synthetic Extended Performance.