1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Bed bolt fell out

Discussion in 'Technical Chat' started by Rushbrook, Sep 8, 2014.

1. Sep 8, 2014 at 6:24 PM
    Rushbrook

Rushbrook [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    07 TRD

my bed has been trying to come loose ever since a little load shift incident a couple years ago. I finally got a torx bit and attempted to slide it back to normal and bolt it in. I had no luck getting some of the bolts loose so I decided I would just tighten the two loose ones and pick up an impact wrench later.

Well low and behold, the passenger side rear bolt broke loose from its rusty bind and came right out even though I was TIGHTENING it. Whatever it threads to in there is gone or very displaced. I couldn't tell much with a flashlight and didn't see any access to it from the bottom.

Help??

2. Sep 9, 2014 at 9:39 AM
    ranger098

ranger098 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Minnesota
    damn that sucks. What really happened in your "load shift incident"? im scared your bed is tweaked and maybe you need to get the fixed or replaced. Those bolts are in there damn good in my truck... where you located? Theres a brand new box for sale in MPLS for pretty cheap if ya needed it...

3. Sep 9, 2014 at 11:13 AM
    Rushbrook

Member:
    My composite bed was replaced by a Toyota dealer 3 years ago after an accident where it ended up with a 2 inch long crack. I had to take it back once because the gap between it and the cab was too narrow, so the bolts would have been loosened to do that. Anyway..the next winter I laid on the brakes pretty hard and had 400lbs of gravel bags over the wheels and the slid forward into the cab side and shifted the bed position. After that it's gotten progressively more loose, so recently when it developed a rattle I decided to tighten the bolts..and now have this stupid rusty one chillin in my center console.

4. Sep 9, 2014 at 11:16 AM
    Rushbrook

Member:
    Just to clarify..only the back side bolt on each side was loose enough for me to turn with my wrench by hand. Even that way I had to slip a box end wrench on for leverage. The other bolts are either fully tight or pretty close.

Products Discussed in

To Top