Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Technical Chat

Notices

Bed bolt fell out

Old 09-08-2014, 06:24 PM   #1
Rushbrook is on a distinguished road
Rushbrook's Tacoma Gallery
Bed bolt fell out

07 TRD

my bed has been trying to come loose ever since a little load shift incident a couple years ago. I finally got a torx bit and attempted to slide it back to normal and bolt it in. I had no luck getting some of the bolts loose so I decided I would just tighten the two loose ones and pick up an impact wrench later.

Well low and behold, the passenger side rear bolt broke loose from its rusty bind and came right out even though I was TIGHTENING it. Whatever it threads to in there is gone or very displaced. I couldn't tell much with a flashlight and didn't see any access to it from the bottom.

Help??
Old 09-09-2014, 09:39 AM   #2
ranger098 is one of the sharper tools in the shedranger098 is one of the sharper tools in the shedranger098 is one of the sharper tools in the shedranger098 is one of the sharper tools in the shedranger098 is one of the sharper tools in the shedranger098 is one of the sharper tools in the shedranger098 is one of the sharper tools in the shedranger098 is one of the sharper tools in the shedranger098 is one of the sharper tools in the shedranger098 is one of the sharper tools in the shedranger098 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Brian
ranger098's Tacoma Gallery
damn that sucks. What really happened in your "load shift incident"? im scared your bed is tweaked and maybe you need to get the fixed or replaced. Those bolts are in there damn good in my truck... where you located? Theres a brand new box for sale in MPLS for pretty cheap if ya needed it...
Old 09-09-2014, 11:13 AM   #3
My composite bed was replaced by a Toyota dealer 3 years ago after an accident where it ended up with a 2 inch long crack. I had to take it back once because the gap between it and the cab was too narrow, so the bolts would have been loosened to do that. Anyway..the next winter I laid on the brakes pretty hard and had 400lbs of gravel bags over the wheels and the slid forward into the cab side and shifted the bed position. After that it's gotten progressively more loose, so recently when it developed a rattle I decided to tighten the bolts..and now have this stupid rusty one chillin in my center console.
Old 09-09-2014, 11:16 AM   #4
Just to clarify..only the back side bolt on each side was loose enough for me to turn with my wrench by hand. Even that way I had to slip a box end wrench on for leverage. The other bolts are either fully tight or pretty close.