Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Technical Chat

Notices

TSB 0044-12 Pinging and transmission fix

Old 09-18-2014, 09:58 AM   #1
gearcruncher is one of the sharper tools in the shedgearcruncher is one of the sharper tools in the shedgearcruncher is one of the sharper tools in the shedgearcruncher is one of the sharper tools in the shedgearcruncher is one of the sharper tools in the shedgearcruncher is one of the sharper tools in the shedgearcruncher is one of the sharper tools in the shedgearcruncher is one of the sharper tools in the shedgearcruncher is one of the sharper tools in the shedgearcruncher is one of the sharper tools in the shedgearcruncher is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter: training officer
Name: TW certified keyboard mechanic
gearcruncher's Tacoma Gallery
TSB 0044-12 Pinging and transmission fix

Been trying to find the answer to this for a long time ?

One of you guys must have had this TSB done . Check your service records using your Vin # and it should show you what the software upgrade did . Here is the link where you can check what has been done to your truck http://www.toyota.com/owners/web/pages/home

I punch in the information here but the pdf doesnt load http://www.revbase.com/BBBMOTOR/

Anyone ?

Dont know where else to look without pleading with a Toyota tech to spill the beans
Old 09-20-2014, 05:52 AM   #2
Rambone71 is just really niceRambone71 is just really niceRambone71 is just really niceRambone71 is just really nice

Name: TJ
Rambone71's Tacoma Gallery
This tsb has been superseded. It's now 044-14 it's for a spark knock on acceleration.
What is the year and model truck and I can look it up to be sure. In 2012 it was 044-12
Attached Thumbnails
TSB 0044-12  Pinging and transmission fix-image.jpg  
Old 09-20-2014, 06:04 AM   #3
gearcruncher is one of the sharper tools in the shedgearcruncher is one of the sharper tools in the shedgearcruncher is one of the sharper tools in the shedgearcruncher is one of the sharper tools in the shedgearcruncher is one of the sharper tools in the shedgearcruncher is one of the sharper tools in the shedgearcruncher is one of the sharper tools in the shedgearcruncher is one of the sharper tools in the shedgearcruncher is one of the sharper tools in the shedgearcruncher is one of the sharper tools in the shedgearcruncher is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambone71 View Post
This tsb has been superseded. It's now 044-14 it's for a light spark knock on acceleration.
What is the year and model truck and I can look it up to be sure.
Are you positive about this ? Not arguing . Just trying to figure out how Toyota is fixing their clunky transmission . There was talk in the Lexus forum that it had something to do with the converter lock up .
Here is why I am asking
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...ml#post9187426

And here http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...ml#post9134443
Old 09-20-2014, 06:12 AM   #4
Rambone71 is just really niceRambone71 is just really niceRambone71 is just really niceRambone71 is just really nice

What year truck and engine do you have... I will look it up to be sure...

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearcruncher View Post
Are you positive about this ? Not arguing . Just trying to figure out how Toyota is fixing their clunky transmission . There was talk in the Lexus forum that it had something to do with the converter lock up .
Here is why I am asking
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...ml#post9187426

And here http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...ml#post9134443
Old 09-20-2014, 06:20 AM   #5

I have the same truck...I looked up 2010-14 tacomas. There is no such tsb with that number. It might be a Lexus tsb?? I have access with all up to date tsb's to sept. 17th. 2014 and it's not there. Sorry.
Old 09-20-2014, 06:30 AM   #6

Thanks !
Your explanation tells me they are fixing the transmission clunk using TSB 044-14 that fixes the pinging . I beleive all they did was delay the shift points to alleviate so much load on the engine . Now I can go back to the transmission thread and tell the guys that 044-14 is the fix for a clunky transmission . Much appreciated
Old 09-20-2014, 06:34 AM   #7

Like I thought. It's a tsb for a 2012 Lexus ES350.

Quote:
Thanks !
Your explanation tells me they are fixing the transmission clunk using TSB 044-14 that fixes the pinging . I beleive all they did was delay the shift points to alleviate so much load on the engine . Now I can go back to the transmission thread and tell the guys that 044-14 is the fix for a clunky transmission . Much appreciated
Attached Thumbnails
TSB 0044-12  Pinging and transmission fix-image.jpg  
Old 09-20-2014, 06:40 AM   #8

Hmm , Yes it is a lexus TSB .
What puzzled me was when this member who owns a 2014 Tacoma showed the tsb in the listing as part of his repair job last week

Thanks, all, for the suggestions. The dealer tech did ask if I had pressed the brake pedal prior to the issue happening. In the slow traffic, I had tapped it a few times. I'll have someone check the break lights when I press the pedal. The software upgrade had something to do with the transmission, but not exactly my symptoms.

Here's what was on the service invoice for the work performed (thanks for the info on how to find it online):
DRIVEABILITY ~|~CUSTOMER STATES WHEN ON FREEEWAY AT 65 MPH AND DECELLERATING WITH FOOT OFF GAS EPDAL THE TRCUK WILL COAST NORMALLY WHEN GAS PEAL IS PRESSED TO ACCELERATE THE TRUCK WILL FEEL AS IF TRANSMISSION IS NOT ENGAUGED. NO POWER AND SEVERE HESITATON . WHEN GAS PEDAL ~|~VEHICLE SHIFTING NORMALLY HEARD PINGING KNOCK ON LIGHT ACCERATION FOUND TSB 0044-12 ~|~2157 PERFORM TSB - 0044-14 UPDATE ON ECM. RESET MEMORY AND ROAD TEST - OPERATING AS DESIGNED AT THIS TIME.

As for cruise control, it has never happened with it on. But I have never had the scenario - slowing, staying at the slower speed, and then accelerating - with the cruise control on. When it's happened, I've tried many combinations of things to try to isolate a cause: shifting from D to 4, radio on/off, A/C on/off, etc. Nothing makes a difference. So far your suggestions of throttle sensor or brake pedal switch (accelerator override) are in the running.
Old 09-20-2014, 06:47 AM   #9

Oh, I did not see this... They did NOTHING for the trans but they heard to ping so they did that and hoped for the best. If you look at the entire tsb for 0044-14 it says at the end. This tsb replaces 0044-13 which does mean that in 2013 that tsb says it replaces 0044-12 and so on. I have see 14 replacements of the same tsb... No surprise with Toyota... They cannot apply a Lexus to a Toyota the software won't allow it...
Old 09-20-2014, 06:51 AM   #11

Good luck. I have the same truck. Ugg...
Old 09-20-2014, 06:55 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambone71 View Post
Good luck. I have the same truck. Ugg...
If you have a scan guage or ultra guage , pay close attention to your mileage . Once you have your mileage figured out , go get that tsb performed , I will bet your mileage goes for a dump
Old 09-20-2014, 07:04 AM   #13

So far I only have a major vibration. The issue is I have the 4 leaf pack already... I'll just fix it myself. Much easier that way...
Quote:
If you have a scan guage or ultra guage , pay close attention to your mileage . Once you have your mileage figured out , go get that tsb performed , I will bet your mileage goes for a dump