1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Idea for cargo light

Discussion in 'Technical Chat' started by sawdust, Oct 18, 2007.

1. Oct 18, 2007 at 9:33 PM
    sawdust

sawdust [OP] Unapologetic Texan

Member:
    Frisco, TX
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Offroad Radiant Red V6 Auto DC
    Homelink mirror, tailgate lock, 2ndary air filter removal, Access LE tonneau, Bugflector II, hitch-based bed extender, vent visors, suspension TSB, stall mat
    I wonder if anybody has put some thought into this. I was noticing the other day that Tundras have a cargo light. Their high-mount rear brake light has clear lenses on each side, which I assume is for a cargo light. Well, I went to toyota-parts.com to compare the Tacoma and Tundra high mount lights. It's pretty clear it's not a drop in replacement. However, inspired by some of the electrical wizardry mods I've seen, I wonder if it would be possible to rewire the high mount light so the outer bulbs were switched separately a put a clear lens over them.

Has anyone done this? Or even just looked at it in more detail and decided it wasn't worth the effort?

PS. I've seen pb's cargo lights inside the bed pockets, but a cargo light from above would be better for me.

2. Oct 19, 2007 at 11:39 AM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 GMC Canyon SLT w/ LineX and....
    Neat idea....

Please pardon, as I'm trying to picture this in my head...(not such a good idea)....

Have you searched for other cargo light/3rd brake light combos form other vehicles?

I would think it'd just be easier to find a combined light fixture and do the wiring from that - but obviously, it'd probably involve some sheetmetal cutting to make it fit on the cab. I'm just guessing.....

My old Dodge Ram had a nice cargo light also. Only used it on a couple occasions.... but nice to say the least.

3. Oct 19, 2007 at 1:16 PM
    TheMaster

TheMaster Born to Ride

Member:
    First Name:
    Chicky Baby
    NY
    Vehicle:
    2007 DC TRD Sport
    Bug shield, window visors, skid plate, rust proofing, tonneau cover, paint & upholstery protection, side step bars, navigation system.
    Sawdust, neat idea but too much work. How will you switch it?

The high mount will not work for people with tonneau covers, like me. Since your post got me thinking, how about using the 110v bed outlet to have a compact plug in light permanently installed and Velcro'd to the side of the bed and switched from your dash. This is where you really need the light, I'd guess and with a longer cord you can detach the Velcro to look for the Alliance members you may accidentally :boink: run over from time to time. What do you think?

4. Oct 19, 2007 at 1:37 PM
    The_Hodge

The_Hodge Volunteer Moderator

Member:
    SC
    Vehicle:
    15 Lariat Sport 5.0L
    Seeing the third gen section forced me to get a Ford...
    i bought some mini fog lights to install in the pockets, but i havent put them in yet

5. Oct 19, 2007 at 1:59 PM
    sawdust

Member:
    Frisco, TX
    Vehicle:
    Homelink mirror, tailgate lock, 2ndary air filter removal, Access LE tonneau, Bugflector II, hitch-based bed extender, vent visors, suspension TSB, stall mat
    I haven't done any searches on other trucks. I should pick up the yellow pages to find junk yards in my area. I'll put that on my to-do list.

I think the fundamental complexity is getting two switched circuits to that high mount light. I'm pretty certain there's only one there now. However, we have three bulbs (which is all the Tundra has). The center one is the red brake light and the two outer ones are clear cargo. So we may be able to get by with re-wiring and a different lens. Now, finding a compatible lens may be a challenge.

6. Oct 19, 2007 at 2:10 PM
    sawdust

Member:
    Frisco, TX
    Vehicle:
    Yeah, it'll require installing an extra switch. I'd thought about having it next to the interior dome light, or maybe in the panel to the left of the steering wheel.

I just ordered my tonneau (Access Limited) so I've been considering that. I just figure that the main time I'd need the cargo light is when I'm hauling cargo, which means I'll have it rolled up. It would be convenient to have something under the tonneau though. The cheapest/easiest idea there is to get those stick-on battery powered LEDs. I'm just thinking that if I'm hauling a large piece of furniture at night or something, lights in the bed aren't going to shed light well enough to tie it down (or untie) it well, so the high mount light is best for that.

What do I think? I'm not so sure it'd be an accident, and if I've already succeeded, why go looking at them again? :devil:

7. Oct 19, 2007 at 3:24 PM
    TheMaster

TheMaster Born to Ride

Member:
    First Name:
    Chicky Baby
    NY
    Vehicle:
    2007 DC TRD Sport
    Bug shield, window visors, skid plate, rust proofing, tonneau cover, paint & upholstery protection, side step bars, navigation system.
    You've got to make sure man. Its like putting the last nail on the coffin.

8. Oct 22, 2007 at 11:16 AM
    nd

nd Radical Town. It's a hell of a place!

Member:
    First Name:
    Nate
    Greenville, SC
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Off-Road 4x4 debadged
    De badged, 5100's, Black Toyota Baja wheels
    I dont think you will want to run us over, it would be worse than hitting a deer. All i know is if you run me over, i'm gonna try to cause as much damage as possible. I'll actually punch or kick your truck as you're hitting me. I dont go down without a fight

9. Oct 22, 2007 at 11:26 AM
    GTiVR6r

GTiVR6r Big Cat Chew Toy

Member:
    Carpentersville, IL
    Vehicle:
    07 Tacoma Access Cab 2.7L Impulse Red
    But a full keg will lay him flat out! ;)

10. Oct 22, 2007 at 12:53 PM
    nd

nd Radical Town. It's a hell of a place!

Member:
    First Name:
    Nate
    Greenville, SC
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Off-Road 4x4 debadged
    De badged, 5100's, Black Toyota Baja wheels
    touche :)

11. Oct 22, 2007 at 1:52 PM
    The_Hodge

Member:
    SC
    Vehicle:
    15 Lariat Sport 5.0L
    PS--my cargo light pics are in my gallery now...they shine the entire bed and all the treetops out the sides of the bed...lol

12. Oct 22, 2007 at 2:31 PM
    sawdust

Member:
    Frisco, TX
    Vehicle:
    Thanks for the pics. I'm starting to reconsider all this. Seems like a lot of trial and error to try to change the high mount light/lens. How do you switch yours on? I'm not sure if the effort to wire a switch in the cab is any easier one way or the other though.

This weekend I was prepping for my tonneau and pulled out those pockets in the bed to consider this mod. There's all sorts of room between the bed and the outer body. Why use the pocket for the light? You could flush mount it right to the composite bed.

I was also thinking about checking the junk yards for more of those pockets. Should be easy to cut access for a few more back there.

13. Oct 22, 2007 at 2:48 PM
    The_Hodge

Member:
    SC
    Vehicle:
    15 Lariat Sport 5.0L
    i use those pockets for nothing else...and i think i responded to ur thought in another post, but unless u angled them, they'd be pointing right at each other and may not light up the entire bed. and i hooked up a switch in the cab. my extra reverse lights and cargo lights switches are both flush mounted on the lil cubby flip out on the left side, under the stock switches

14. Oct 22, 2007 at 3:08 PM
    sawdust

Member:
    Frisco, TX
    Vehicle:
    Sorry, I must have missed it. I'll go look. Yeah, I had figured they'd need to be angled.

I haven't done anything like this before, so is there some sort of tutorial or write up you worked from? Something that would give me some ideas how/where to run those wires into the cab? I'd like to do it nice and neat up by the stocks witches.

15. Oct 22, 2007 at 3:32 PM
    The_Hodge

Member:
    SC
    Vehicle:
    15 Lariat Sport 5.0L
    i just ran all my wires in the frame as much as possible and away from all moving/hot parts. there's a bundle of wires that go through the firewall under the left side of the dash...near the kick panel...that has a loose rubber kinda seal. i just punched the wires through w/ the ones already there and wired the switches...took me about 1 1/2 hours to run each pair of lights the way i wanted to and wire everything up.

Products Discussed in

To Top