1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Vibrations 25 - 50 mph

Discussion in 'Technical Chat' started by garrettc134, Sep 29, 2014.

1. Sep 29, 2014 at 1:07 PM
    garrettc134

garrettc134 [OP] Active Member

Member:
    I have a stock 2005 2.7 5 speed manual Tacoma with 130k miles on it. Recently I let my fiance borrow it for about a month and of course when I got it back something wasn't quite right. No matter what gear/RPM I'm at I get pretty bad vibrations between ~25 to 50 mph. It is the worst when accelerating through this range, moderate when cruising there and almost nonexistent when my foot is not on the gas. I went and had the alignment checked out (everything was good) and all the tires rebalanced and this seemed to reduce the vibrations but they still exist. She claims they started halfway through her 800 mile trip on some rough roads in Louisiana and continued to drive it for the month after they started. Is it possible a wheel was just out of balance and the extended driving broke something else? Am I even on the right path of diagnosing and fixing this issue? Thanks for the help.

2. Sep 29, 2014 at 1:19 PM
    CRU

CRU Well-Known Member

Member:
    Seminole Cnty, FL
    Vehicle:
    07 SSM TuRD Sport DCLB
    20" Enkei WT4 wrapped in Bridgestone Dueler A/T Revo 3 265/50, Steel braided brake lines, Pioneer AVH-X5500BHS deck w/JBL GTO cones, OEM Smoked headlights, OEM LED tails, Clazzio seat covers, aFe Pro-Dry S air filter, Fumoto oil valve, Grillcraft MX grille w/Land Cruiser "TOYOTA" emblem, Redline QuickLIFT hood struts, Leather TRD shift knob, 13" shorty antenna
    Mine did the same a few years back. It was a bad u-joint. Only reason I found out was after a few weeks of this, the u-joint finally started to squeak. Replaced all the joints even though only one was bad.

3. Sep 29, 2014 at 1:22 PM
    MateoTorgy

MateoTorgy Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mateo
    Minnesota
    Vehicle:
    2014 TRD OR AC 6 Cyl
    Louisiana? Maybe she got mud in her tires?
    (If you haven't seen the movie My Cousin Vinny, never mind)

4. Sep 29, 2014 at 1:54 PM
    garrettc134

Member:
    They seemed fine when I crawled up under there. The whole driveshaft could move slightly up (By design I think) and the u-joints seemed good. Unfortunately that is not something I have the skill to replace myself. Do you think there any harm in continuing to drive and waiting for the next symptoms? How noticeable was your squeak?

Definitely mud in the tires haha

5. Sep 29, 2014 at 3:51 PM
    garrettc134

Member:
    On a second look, the front u-joint does move a little which my Haynes books says "is a sign of considerable wear" :mad: But i feel like I read somewhere in these forums that it was ok to have about 1/4" of play. Can't find it now. Any opinions?

6. Sep 29, 2014 at 4:25 PM
    gearcruncher

gearcruncher Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Canadain bumper technician
    Great white North 51.0333° N, 93.8333° W
    Vehicle:
    2010.TRD.SportDCLB4x4Limited leather package
    TRD Sport Rally -5 speed automatic Limited ,Factory heated leather seats ,chrome package,Super white with front windows tinted to 35 % Dick Cepek DC-2 wheels Summer tires - Good year silent armor P265/65R17 Winter tires - Good year P265/65R17 Ultra Ice studded Illuminated 4x4 switch TRD 3rd brake light cover ($20) TRD seat belt shoulder protectors (5). ($50) TRD ...B pillar emblems ($20) TRD rear slider sticker with devil horns ( $6) TRD summer floor matts ($60) TRD steering wheel emblem ($20) TRD floor pedals .($95) TRD shorty antenna ($14) TRD front Windshield emblems ($17) TRD head pillows .($60) TRD head rest protectors TRD door scuff protection $20 TRD floor matt emblems ($40) TRD tow plug emblem . ($40) TRD cigarette lighter with LED.($35) TRD tissue dispenser ($12) TRD front bezel emblems ($9) TRD door emblems ($6) TRD lanyards($9) TRD lisence plates with TRD bolts($50) TRD fender emblems TRD center caps Part Number:PT904-35070-CC ($80) TRD cd
    The proper way and " ONLY " way to check for bad universal joints is by removing the driveshaft and manipulating each universal joint by hand feeling for tight spots as you go . There are 4 small cups filled with needle bearings on each universal joint . There is no possible way to tell they are seized when the driveshaft is connected to the truck . You may have some play from lack of lubrication . Got any grease zerks ? try giving them some grease

7. Sep 30, 2014 at 2:05 PM
    garrettc134

Member:
    Unfortunately I have the crappy ones I can't grease. Guess next step is to find a reliable mechanic in Austin that will fix it.

Products Discussed in

To Top