Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Technical Chat

Notices

Flickering oil pressure light

Old 10-03-2014, 01:33 PM   #1
bigmooze is one of the sharper tools in the shedbigmooze is one of the sharper tools in the shedbigmooze is one of the sharper tools in the shedbigmooze is one of the sharper tools in the shedbigmooze is one of the sharper tools in the shedbigmooze is one of the sharper tools in the shedbigmooze is one of the sharper tools in the shedbigmooze is one of the sharper tools in the shedbigmooze is one of the sharper tools in the shedbigmooze is one of the sharper tools in the shedbigmooze is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Richard
bigmooze's Tacoma Gallery
Flickering oil pressure light

Noticed something today that I never noticed before. While cranking the truck to start the oil pressure light flickered. Truck was off all day while at work. The light remains off during run time and driving.

When restarting after a short "off" period, it doesn't flicker.

Is what I am seeing normal?
Old 10-03-2014, 04:47 PM   #3
bigmooze is one of the sharper tools in the shedbigmooze is one of the sharper tools in the shedbigmooze is one of the sharper tools in the shedbigmooze is one of the sharper tools in the shedbigmooze is one of the sharper tools in the shedbigmooze is one of the sharper tools in the shedbigmooze is one of the sharper tools in the shedbigmooze is one of the sharper tools in the shedbigmooze is one of the sharper tools in the shedbigmooze is one of the sharper tools in the shedbigmooze is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janster View Post
I wouldn't worry about it until it comes on 'constant'

Check your oil or change your oil recently?

Oil and filter are about 2500 km old. Level is good to my knowledge. I've been taking a video every time I start the truck in an attempt to capture what I mean by flickering.

Will post a video if I get a good one. Bad oil pressure sensor or leaking back flow valve on the filter were two suggestions I had so far, from a mechanic I trust. Just wanted other opinions from here.

Thanks Janster.
Old 10-03-2014, 05:01 PM   #4
Lord of War
KenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KenLyns's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigmooze View Post
While cranking the truck to start the oil pressure light flickered. Truck was off all day while at work. The light remains off during run time and driving.

When restarting after a short "off" period, it doesn't flicker.
Yep, looks like a leaking anti-drainback valve. Just replace the oil filter. No need to worry as long as the light isn't on during normal idling and driving.
Old 10-07-2014, 11:33 AM   #7
OCNutty is one of the sharper tools in the shedOCNutty is one of the sharper tools in the shedOCNutty is one of the sharper tools in the shedOCNutty is one of the sharper tools in the shedOCNutty is one of the sharper tools in the shedOCNutty is one of the sharper tools in the shedOCNutty is one of the sharper tools in the shedOCNutty is one of the sharper tools in the shedOCNutty is one of the sharper tools in the shedOCNutty is one of the sharper tools in the shedOCNutty is one of the sharper tools in the shed
OCNutty's Tacoma Gallery
Seems normal to me; 1-2 sec to fill the filter on empty filter is normal for all my oil changes. Flickering while starting is probably a good sign; as the OP builds even during cranking which it wouldn't if it had drained back completely (to an empty filter)
imho; nothing to worry about
Old 10-07-2014, 02:37 PM   #8

Started the truck after sitting for two days (took the work truck out of town)... The OP light flickered on the first start, just not as much as with my original posts. This is with a new filter, new oil. Maybe I never noticed the flickering on the first start before. Not going to worry for now. For the sake of curiosity, I'll see what the light does tomorrow morning after sitting overnight.
Old 10-10-2014, 09:30 AM   #9
Saren is on a distinguished road

Name: Sara "Toyota"
Saren's Tacoma Gallery
My OP light stays on solid during first thing in the morning start-ups. I usually don't see it again until the next morning. Flickering OP lights scare the shittalkin' mushrooms outta me, though, as that was my brief indication (for maybe 2 miles an intermittent momentary flicker that I thought I saw but wasn't sure until I looked down at the right moment) that my rear main had blown on a pass, before I saw the cloud of smoke and my engine ate itself, that is. Keep a close eye on it, I'd say. But I may just be paranoid.