Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Technical Chat

Notices

Tire rotation

Old 04-22-2009, 11:00 AM   #1
DanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shed
DanGer's Tacoma Gallery
Tire rotation

Originally I wasn't going to rotate my tires to help justify getting new ones. However my Dunlop AT20s have been immaculate in tread wear.

Anyway, this is my first vehicle and I am doing all the maintenance myself, i was just wondering what the correct way to rotate the tires is. My rear tires have noticeably more tread and now that I am committed to the Dunlops, I just want to know how to properly rotate them.
Old 04-22-2009, 11:02 AM   #2
David Tarantino is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid Tarantino is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid Tarantino is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid Tarantino is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid Tarantino is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid Tarantino is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid Tarantino is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid Tarantino is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid Tarantino is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid Tarantino is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid Tarantino is one of the sharper tools in the shed

David Tarantino's Tacoma Gallery
Just do front to back you may want to have the balance ck
Old 04-22-2009, 11:03 AM   #3
DanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shed
DanGer's Tacoma Gallery
alright, do i need to switch driver side with passenger as well?
Old 04-22-2009, 11:04 AM   #4
David Tarantino is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid Tarantino is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid Tarantino is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid Tarantino is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid Tarantino is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid Tarantino is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid Tarantino is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid Tarantino is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid Tarantino is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid Tarantino is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid Tarantino is one of the sharper tools in the shed

or you can just buy new bridgestone A/T revos
Old 04-22-2009, 11:05 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgerm View Post
alright, do i need to switch driver side with passenger as well?
no just do front to back back to front
Old 04-22-2009, 11:05 AM   #6
DanGer's Tacoma Gallery
i wish, as a college student strapped for cash I am going to make these last. Well honestly I am not strapped for cash but I donot think it is wise to buy things needless when I have no source of income haha
Old 04-22-2009, 11:07 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgerm View Post
i wish, as a college student strapped for cash I am going to make these last. Well honestly I am not strapped for cash but I donot think it is wise to buy things needless when I have no source of income haha
your right about that youll be fine
just front to back back to front
Old 04-22-2009, 11:32 AM   #8
bobwilson1977 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbobwilson1977 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbobwilson1977 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbobwilson1977 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbobwilson1977 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbobwilson1977 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbobwilson1977 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbobwilson1977 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbobwilson1977 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbobwilson1977 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbobwilson1977 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

bobwilson1977's Tacoma Gallery
Here's a illustration that explains it better then I can. But if it were me, I'd just take it somewhere. You'll find that most tire places will rotate tires free, or for a small charge. That's what I tend to do.

Old 04-22-2009, 02:11 PM   #9
abides.
Brunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: LT- CG MH-65C/D Driver- CGAS NOLA
Name: Mark
Brunes's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Brunes
+1 to what bob said- Getting three corners up to do the majority of the rotation is a pain for me in my drive way- I take it to Firestone and get it done.

I like doing things myself...and I can...but it's just easier to get drop a few bucks and get it taken care of imo. I agree with the diagram too.
Old 04-23-2009, 03:52 AM   #10
FoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kristin
FoxySandChick's Tacoma Gallery
I also do criss crossed, front to back like in the diagram and x2 on getting them re-balanced.
Old 04-23-2009, 03:59 AM   #11
I KEEEEEL YOU
Burgman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurgman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurgman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurgman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurgman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurgman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurgman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurgman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurgman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurgman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurgman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Stephen
Burgman's Tacoma Gallery
i just got my manual for my truck and read toyota says front to back, ive always criss crossed with my integra so which one is right?
Old 04-23-2009, 04:20 AM   #12

been selling/replaceing tires for 20pl yrs always front to back
Old 04-23-2009, 06:15 AM   #13
Joe B is a splendid one to beholdJoe B is a splendid one to beholdJoe B is a splendid one to beholdJoe B is a splendid one to beholdJoe B is a splendid one to beholdJoe B is a splendid one to beholdJoe B is a splendid one to behold
Joe B's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Tarantino View Post
That's the way I've rotated for many years.
Old 04-23-2009, 11:45 AM   #14
flatlander will become famous soon enoughflatlander will become famous soon enough

flatlander's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Tarantino View Post
Front to back with NO criss-cross, correct?

I have been rotating tires for about 32 years and if the tires are designated as directional then I just go straight front to back. Otherwise I have criss-crossed the fronts on the way back.

Starting to sound like it may not matter??

Is it something with new tires now-a-days?

Hmmmmm.
Old 04-23-2009, 11:54 AM   #15
I'll try being nicer if you try being smarter.
mws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matt
mws4ua's Tacoma Gallery
You don't just need to keep the rotated, you need to keep them balanced as well. I'm willing to bet that you don't have the equipment to balance your own tires.

Take them somewhere and get it done. Next time you get new tires, have a 'lifetime rotation/balance' plan added. It's not expensive, and you can take it there every time you change your own oil and know it's done right.
Old 04-23-2009, 12:03 PM   #16
flatlander will become famous soon enoughflatlander will become famous soon enough

flatlander's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by mws4ua View Post
You don't just need to keep the rotated, you need to keep them balanced as well. I'm willing to bet that you don't have the equipment to balance your own tires.

Take them somewhere and get it done. Next time you get new tires, have a 'lifetime rotation/balance' plan added. It's not expensive, and you can take it there every time you change your own oil and know it's done right.
As long as you get the plan from a place you can trust.

On my previous truck, after I got a new set of tires and was ready to rotate them, I jacked 'er up and started taking the wheels off. Got to one lug and could not budge it with an impact gun. I says to myself, Damn! Dug out my 18" break over and broke the lug off. Pretty sure it was cross threaded not just over tightened.

The next week I took it to them and they put a new stud in no problem and were very apologetic.

But to me what if I had a flat out in the woods and that had happened? Although I usually carry a breakover on trips I don't always have it. I would've been stuck.
Old 04-23-2009, 12:06 PM   #17
I'll try being nicer if you try being smarter.
mws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matt
mws4ua's Tacoma Gallery
Yeah... I think taking it only to places you trust is always a good rule. There are a few places I trust around here.
Old 07-30-2011, 08:39 AM   #18
wmdpowell is one of the sharper tools in the shedwmdpowell is one of the sharper tools in the shedwmdpowell is one of the sharper tools in the shedwmdpowell is one of the sharper tools in the shedwmdpowell is one of the sharper tools in the shedwmdpowell is one of the sharper tools in the shedwmdpowell is one of the sharper tools in the shedwmdpowell is one of the sharper tools in the shedwmdpowell is one of the sharper tools in the shedwmdpowell is one of the sharper tools in the shedwmdpowell is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Bill
wmdpowell's Tacoma Gallery
A few ays after my 15,000 service (tire rotation included) I noticed the front passendger tire did not have a wight on anymore (has the clamp but no weight). Ride seams to be fine but I worry that I might get a wobble at high speed.

Do those weights fall off sometiems?
Could dealre have taken on off on purpose or by accident?
Should I go get that tire balanced?

Old 07-30-2011, 09:10 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oswego View Post
If you do criss cross like the guys are saying it screws up the belts right Dave?

I heard they get used to going one direction and then you make them turn the other direction and wobble wobble.

I did that once on my Exploder and it felt like I was riding on squares
yes sir
Old 07-30-2011, 09:42 AM   #20
David K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shed

David K's Tacoma Gallery
If you are as old as me, then you might remember BIAS PLY tires..THOSE are the ones that got criss-crossed...

RADIAL tires: Front to Back (and back to front, LOL)!