1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

P2714 TC

Discussion in 'Technical Chat' started by Lifty, Oct 12, 2014.

1. Oct 12, 2014 at 1:06 PM
    Lifty

Lifty [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Denver
    Vehicle:
    2016 DCSB Sport
    OME 888 coilovers OME 90021 struts OME Dakar leaf pack RCI front skid RCI tranny skid RCI rear diff skid RCI transfer case skid RCI gas tank skid CBI Overlander bars Smittybilt rooftop tent ECC custom grille TG rock sliders RC 30" light bar
    Engine light came on today... Truck is shifting really hard all of a sudden. Pulled trouble code P2714..... guy at Oriley's that let me use their code finder said he has a Tacoma as well and his truck pulled same code in the past. Said in his instance that it wasn't the solenoid, ended up being the ECM and was recalled by Toyota. I however could not find any recall on this. Has anyone had any experience with this?

Last edited: Oct 13, 2014
  2. Oct 13, 2014 at 11:27 AM
    Lifty

Member:
    Denver
    Vehicle:
    2016 DCSB Sport
    OME 888 coilovers OME 90021 struts OME Dakar leaf pack RCI front skid RCI tranny skid RCI rear diff skid RCI transfer case skid RCI gas tank skid CBI Overlander bars Smittybilt rooftop tent ECC custom grille TG rock sliders RC 30" light bar
    Found a page through Tacoma to enter VIN for recall information, unfortunately does'nt look like there is a recall for the ECM or the shift solenoid... I did however find that the shift solenoid valve SLT harness may be open or shorted associated with P2714. http://engine-codes.com/p2714_toyota.html

Only thing I can think of which does make sense though is when I changed the oil before this started happening the other day my oil filter was a biatch to get off! Ended up using some metal clamps to get the sob off and once it gave the handle to my clamp hit the neg terminal on the battery and threw a decent spark. Wondering if that was the cause for my shift solenoid valve SLT harness shorting out if that in fact is what hapened? Any ideas? how to troubleshoot? etc?...

3. Oct 13, 2014 at 11:32 AM
    Speedytech7

Speedytech7 Toyota Cult Ombudsman

Member:
    First Name:
    ゼイン
    5520 E Sprague Ave, Spokane Valley, WA 99212
    Vehicle:
    93 80 Series LC & 96 Turbo V6 Taco 4WD
    I've done a mod or two
    Sounds like you have a good place to start looking from. I can't speak to this problem specifically however I have had some extremely strange things happen when I accidentally short stuff. It always negatively (lol pun) impacts something depending on what you are shorting though. I blew my cruise control module when I was wiring up my light circuit for my switch panel. I never seem to learn that auto work should be done with the battery disconnected.

4. Oct 13, 2014 at 2:19 PM
    Lifty

Member:
    Denver
    Vehicle:
    2016 DCSB Sport
    Gonna start with unplugging the battery for and hour to clear the codes... If problem persists ill try replacing the wiring harness in case I managed to short it out. Then move on to the solenoid/ECM. Will keep posted with results.

5. Apr 9, 2015 at 4:35 PM
    ezemanf

ezemanf TaTonka

Member:
    First Name:
    EZE
    Cut Off, LA
    Vehicle:
    2012 DCSB Prerunner TRD Sport 4x2
    Debadged, JBL factory sound system w/ Entune, Katzkin Grey Leather Interior, Black Suede Headliner, Bilstein 5100 Adjustable Shocks w/ 3” Toytec CoilOvers’ 4.5” Maxtrac Spindle Lift, Ome Dakar Leaf Package, Performance Accessories 3" Body Lift w/ Gap Guards, JBA UCAs, Toytec 2” add-a-leaf, 3” Rear Blocks, U-Bolt Flip Kit w/ Wheelers off-road Plates and Timbren Rear BumpStops, DTLT Headers, Vibrant Ultra Quiet Resonator, URD MAF Calibrator, URD Exhaust w/ MagnaFlow Muffler, URD Intake, URD Y-Pipe w/ Cat Delete, GrillCraft Mx Upper/Lower Billet Grills, Clear Spyder LED Tail Lights & 3rd Brake Light, Spyder Projector Headlights w/ 6000K HIDs, Cali-Raised LED FogLights, Predator Tube Steps, Avid Front Light Bar, BakFlip G2 Tonneau Cover, and RGBW Rock Lights.
    Any updates on your tacoma? My 2012 TRD sport is throwing the same P2714 code

6. Mar 27, 2017 at 5:08 PM
    thewarriordinghy

thewarriordinghy General Lee's Titan

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    Georgia
    Vehicle:
    2017 Nissan Titan 4x4
    Temporarily Stock
    Bump for solutions?

Products Discussed in