1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Fuel Tank Replacement

Discussion in 'Technical Chat' started by CactusJack, Oct 16, 2014.

1. Oct 16, 2014 at 9:26 PM
    CactusJack

CactusJack [OP] New Member

Member:
    Phoenix AZ
    Vehicle:
    09 PreRunner
    Hi Everyone. I just registered tonight and have already gotten a ton of useful info. This is a great forum.

However, I have a 2009 Prerunner Crew Cab with a long bed. I had a tie down strap fall down between the cab and bed, immediately wrapping itself around the driveshaft and wouldn't you know it the hook pierced my fuel tank, metal guard and all. I did a temporary patch without dropping the tank and now all my warning lights are on (Check Engine, Stability, etc). I assume (hope) that's because the system wont hold pressure with the leak. My question is...How difficult is it to drop the tank and replace it? I'm a moderately competent "mechanic" and I think I could do this with a floor jack and common tools. Also, any recommendations regarding where to shop for a tank? Toyota wants around $700. Thanks in advance for all assistance. I love my Tacoma. Had to endure a Nissan and a Chevy Colorado before I got it but it was worth the wait! - Cactus

2. Oct 16, 2014 at 9:30 PM
    95 taco

95 taco Battle Born

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2003 4x4 TRD SR5 auto
    OME 883 front, OMD 3.5" rear, Relentless front bumper, smittybilt 9.5K winch
    Not sure where to get a replacement tank, but replacing it shouldn't be to bad.
    Remove the bed bolts, take the fuel filler assembly out of the bedside, and remove the bed.
    Should be straightforward after that.

Products Discussed in

To Top