1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Tacoma 2.7l problem oil light no rev limiter etc

Discussion in 'Technical Chat' started by YoTaboss, Oct 18, 2014.

1. Oct 18, 2014 at 12:28 PM
    YoTaboss

YoTaboss [OP] Member

Member:
    Western NC
    Vehicle:
    96 Tacoma single cab 2.7l, 02 ext cab 2.7l
    3" suspension lift, Cold air intake, 33x12.50x15
    So I have a 96 Toyota Tacoma single cab 2.7l 4x4
    I Was driving the truck and I do put this truck through hell but anyways, Lon story short take off in first hit rev limiter seems like it hesitates, next I'm going down road 25 seconds later and engine starts making noise oil light comes on and there's a loud bang from engine and I kill the engine and coast to a stop. Get out check oil half a quart low, it uses oil so that was no surprise, try to start truck back and starter struggles and makes grinding noise for a few try's then seems to break free and truck cranks makes no noise and sounds fine. No here's where it gets tricky.

I drove truck home and it drives fine no knocks but it doesn't want to pull a hill good and it will no longer hit the rev limiter it just roars on without "tacking" out. And when I push in clutch to stop oil light comes on.

I replaced oil pump and checked everything I could but truck still does the same thing. Truck has no oil light on crank will run fine drive up the road and 10 minutes after driving it the oil light will come on but only at idle. I don't honestly know what's up with the truck it sounds like a chain being pulled over a fence when it warms all the way up. But no knock no overheating no nothing just the absence of a rev limiter

So I need help and everyone's opinion what could it be? I've changed oil run sea foam in case of a clogged oil passage, replaced the oil pump, and even took the catalytic converter off to see if it was clogged but with no changed to the truck itself. Please someone tell me what's going on I'm tired of guessing and checking and just really wanna know should I drop another motor in or could it be something as simple as a sensor or possibly something else? Any help would be appreciated

Truck is. 96 Tacoma 2.7l 4x4 manual transmission with 179k miles on motor

Also: the truck did burn oil, and when I would hit rev limiter it would blow black smoke, and recently it blew oil out of the tailpipe I can add videos pictures etc just let me know where to start anyone

2. Oct 18, 2014 at 2:11 PM
    worthywads

worthywads Well-Known Member

Member:
    Peoples Republic of Boulder
    Vehicle:
    05 5-lug access I4 Stick, 70 Challenger Vert
    :popcorn:

So rev limiter is your shift indicator?

3. Oct 18, 2014 at 7:30 PM
    vern650

vern650 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    brandon
    hyrum, ut
    Vehicle:
    '97 4x4 taco xtra cab 3rz/5spd
    HBS leveling kit, 31x10.50 mudders, header/imco exhaust, rear billies, LR ucas, home brewed onboard air, cb radio
    :facepalm:

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say oil comin out the tail pipe is not a good sign.

4. Oct 18, 2014 at 8:33 PM
    YoTaboss

YoTaboss [OP] Member

Member:
    Western NC
    Vehicle:
    No I just enjoy hearin the rev limiter, I have a bit of a lead foot didn't help any probably and yeah the oil thing happened after this incident so I'm thinking maybe a piston rings completely gone, and or something broke internally cause why else would my engine fail to rev out, and instead just droning on while feeling like a slug all at once

5. Oct 18, 2014 at 8:42 PM
    worthywads

worthywads Well-Known Member

Member:
    Peoples Republic of Boulder
    Vehicle:
    05 5-lug access I4 Stick, 70 Challenger Vert
    I'd like to see a video of oil coming out of the exhaust after you hit the rev limiter if it can even reach that rpm anymore. :boom:

6. Oct 18, 2014 at 10:06 PM
    YoTaboss

YoTaboss [OP] Member

Member:
    Western NC
    Vehicle:
    That's just the thing it won't hit the rev limiter anymore. I can send pics of the side if my house where it sprayed oil on the wall lol it kinda sucks but luckily just got my hands on a truck and this beauty for 1000 bucks the kid wrecked it laid it on it's side 2.7l Tacoma 2002 extended cab 5 speed got the whole truck still runs and drives guess I got a new woods truck until it breaks then I'll put the motor in the other YoYo

7. Oct 22, 2014 at 12:09 AM
    G17GUY

G17GUY Well-Known Member

Member:
    Modesto Ca
    Vehicle:
    tacoma
    spining hub caps chrome stick-on trim new car smell air freshiner stering wheel suicide knob nut sack on hitch back window curtain
    Good compression on all pistons?

8. Oct 22, 2014 at 10:24 PM
    YoTaboss

YoTaboss [OP] Member

Member:
    Western NC
    Vehicle:

Products Discussed in

To Top