1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Reverse not engaging, 2001 2.4l Automatic

Discussion in 'Technical Chat' started by Nwebster15, Oct 22, 2014.

1. Oct 22, 2014 at 8:45 PM
    Nwebster15

Nwebster15 [OP] New Member

Member:
    CA
    Vehicle:
    01 2.4l
    Need help guys! Just got this 01 Tacoma 2wd 2.4l Automatic. Truck runs great and it drives perfectly fine in Drive, but it has trouble engaging into reverse.

SO when i put it in reverse, it just acts like it's in neutral. SOMETIMES it will go into reverse fine, other times it takes a few seconds and then clunks in, other times i have to get the truck rolling a little bit and then it will finally clunk into reverse.

Any ideas what this could be? hoping it's not in need of a rebuild. I checked the tranny fluid and it's gray and looks overfilled so i'm planning to drain the fluid tomorrow and replace the filter. Is there any chance this could fix it??

also, i read that draining the fluid only gets out about 1/4 of the total fluid in the tranny, how can i get ALL of it out so i can do 100% new fluid in it?

any advice helps and please share your stories if you had a similar problem, thank you!

2. Oct 23, 2014 at 4:34 AM
    gearcruncher

gearcruncher Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Canadain bumper technician
    Great white North 51.0333° N, 93.8333° W
    Vehicle:
    2010.TRD.SportDCLB4x4Limited leather package
    TRD Sport Rally -5 speed automatic Limited ,Factory heated leather seats ,chrome package,Super white with front windows tinted to 35 % Dick Cepek DC-2 wheels Summer tires - Good year silent armor P265/65R17 Winter tires - Good year P265/65R17 Ultra Ice studded Illuminated 4x4 switch TRD 3rd brake light cover ($20) TRD seat belt shoulder protectors (5). ($50) TRD ...B pillar emblems ($20) TRD rear slider sticker with devil horns ( $6) TRD summer floor matts ($60) TRD steering wheel emblem ($20) TRD floor pedals .($95) TRD shorty antenna ($14) TRD front Windshield emblems ($17) TRD head pillows .($60) TRD head rest protectors TRD door scuff protection $20 TRD floor matt emblems ($40) TRD tow plug emblem . ($40) TRD cigarette lighter with LED.($35) TRD tissue dispenser ($12) TRD front bezel emblems ($9) TRD door emblems ($6) TRD lanyards($9) TRD lisence plates with TRD bolts($50) TRD fender emblems TRD center caps Part Number:PT904-35070-CC ($80) TRD cd
    Pop the pan off first and go from there . If the fluid is grey , its usually a sign of metal contamination .
    If you have a camera , take a picture of the magnet laying in the pan before you do any cleaning . You may be wasting 100 bucks on a trans service and filter .
    Reverse is fully mechanical on the A340 series transmission .
    Here is a diagnostic link http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/te...warner-340-series-transmissions-write-up.html

Last edited: Oct 23, 2014
  3. Oct 23, 2014 at 10:44 AM
    Nwebster15

Nwebster15 [OP] New Member

Member:
    CA
    Vehicle:
    01 2.4l
    So are you thinking the trans is in need of a rebuild then?

Products Discussed in

To Top