1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

"Frame Getting Weak"

Discussion in 'Technical Chat' started by avidnyhunter83, Oct 23, 2014.

1. Oct 23, 2014 at 5:48 PM
    avidnyhunter83

avidnyhunter83 [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Shawn
    Finger Lakes, NY
    Vehicle:
    06 Tacoma TRD 4WD.
    I just replaced my General Grabber AT2's with Goodyear DuraTrac's, and had the front end aligned this morning. The local repair shop said that the frame on my 2006 Tacoma is "getting weak."

It has 127,500 miles, and the frame is rusty, but I don't think it's that bad. I'm not an auto mechanic, but has anyone had someone tell them this before? I mainly drive my truck to and from work in the winter, and use it during hunting season.

Any thoughts?

2. Oct 23, 2014 at 5:51 PM
    Sefferston

Sefferston I like Tacos.

Member:
    First Name:
    Seth
    Germany
    Vehicle:
    ZOMG B-RED!
    I've got that one thing, and that other one thing, oh yeah and that other other one thing.
    Take a look at your frame. You might have a legit problem. Take it to Toyota and they might shit their pants.

3. Oct 23, 2014 at 6:16 PM
    avidnyhunter83

Member:
    First Name:
    Shawn
    Finger Lakes, NY
    Vehicle:
    06 Tacoma TRD 4WD.
    What do you mean the dealer might shit their pants? I mean, I know what it's like to crap your pants, but the dealer won't do anything about it will they?

4. Oct 23, 2014 at 6:18 PM
    Sefferston

Sefferston I like Tacos.

Member:
    First Name:
    Seth
    Germany
    Vehicle:
    ZOMG B-RED!
    I've got that one thing, and that other one thing, oh yeah and that other other one thing.
    Depends, there is a recall on northern states about frame rust.

5. Oct 23, 2014 at 6:44 PM
    avidnyhunter83

Member:
    First Name:
    Shawn
    Finger Lakes, NY
    Vehicle:
    06 Tacoma TRD 4WD.
    I saw another thread where quite a few people were getting new frames installed for free. I have to stop at the dealer tomorrow to pick up new transmission cooler lines that were rusted through and will ask if there is a recall.

6. Oct 23, 2014 at 6:54 PM
    robssol

robssol If it ain't broke, leave it the eff alone!

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    S. Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    06 Tacoma, TRD Sport, SR5, 4X4, AC
    Frame 2.0, Fog lights anytime, Seatbelt reminder delete, Secondary air filter delete, LED bed lights, Running boards, 2017 Rims, Devil Horns by Andres, Ultra gauge, Cup holder/consol/glove compartment lights, Interior LED conversion, Blue Sea aux. fuse panel, fuse panel mounting plate by Yotamac, ProEFX heated towing mirrors, LED engine bay lights, Redline Quicklift Elite hood struts, Wet Okole Heated Seat Covers, Pop and Lock tailgate theft deterrent mod 2.0, Plasti-dip rear bumper. Decal free visors, Washable cabin air filter, Overhead consol auto dimming override switch, BulletProof Fabricating Skid plate, 2lo module.
    Yours should be included in the frame rust inspection. Basically if your frame is perforated by rust, Toyota will replace it free of charge:eek: free loaner and I believe those tranny lines would be included. I would check before I paid for new parts.
    Good luck:D

7. Oct 23, 2014 at 7:09 PM
    KenLyns

KenLyns 8.75" Third Member

Member:
    Belly of the Beast
    Vehicle:
    4x4 TRD Off-Road Full-Auto
    LED Headlights, Volant CAI, 32" Duratracs
    There is no VIN range check due to the number of trucks involved in the campaign. If you are in a northern state (like NY) and your truck is '05-'08 model year (like an '06), the dealer is authorized to do the inspection and remedy for free. Beware if the frame ISN'T perforated, the corrosion inhibitor the dealer applies (or outsources) can get messy: http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2n...rosive-resistant-compound-41.html#post9300314

8. Oct 24, 2014 at 2:57 PM
    avidnyhunter83

Member:
    First Name:
    Shawn
    Finger Lakes, NY
    Vehicle:
    06 Tacoma TRD 4WD.
    Update: I went to the dealer today to pick up the tranny cooler lines because I want to get that fixed before it causes a bigger problem. They claim I will be reimbursed for the leaf springs I replaced last fall because of the new recall. The dealer just changed hands so there are 40 Tundras and 4 Tacomas ahead of me to be looked at. The service tech showed me a chart they look at to determine if the frame needs to be replaced. If you have a 10MM hole in the frame, it has to be replaced. If not, they will put the special coating on the frame to prevent further rusting.

Products Discussed in

To Top