1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Replaced starter, still just clicks, doesn't spin

Discussion in 'Technical Chat' started by FishLorax, Oct 28, 2014.

1. Oct 28, 2014 at 12:52 PM
    FishLorax

FishLorax [OP] Member

Member:
    Mi
    Vehicle:
    95 Tacoma ex cab 3.4l
    Front coil spacers, longer rear leaf shackles
    Just bought another yota after my frame rusted out on my '89. I now have a '95 tacoma v6 auto. This truck sat for a year and a friend now sold it to me. We apparently mis-diagnosed the "starter problem". He had moved it recently and it started fine. A few weeks later it wouldn't start when he tried it again. Just 1 click from the starter. So I replaced the starter with a brand new one instead of replacing the contacts. Put the new one in and still only clicks. Tried 2 different fully charged batteries. Inspected the battery cables up top a little bit. What should I look for? Anyone have an idea what would cause this?

2. Oct 28, 2014 at 1:55 PM
    chris4x4

chris4x4 With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    4.10 gears, sliders, and lots of buttons.
    Check for corrosion on the cable ends. Clean them really good.

3. Oct 28, 2014 at 2:31 PM
    Lester Lugnut

Lester Lugnut Well-Known Member

Member:
    N of Mex-S of Canada-E of LA-W of NC
    Vehicle:
    '15 Tacoma PreRunner V6 SR5 Auto
    A good suggestion, but if that doesn't work, load test the battery. Age of the battery means nothing.

4. Oct 28, 2014 at 3:54 PM
    FishLorax

FishLorax [OP] Member

Member:
    Mi
    Vehicle:
    95 Tacoma ex cab 3.4l
    Ok. Thanks. I'm gonna borrow a voltmeter and do some deeper investigation and clean connections. I switched the battery with the one in my Subaru and it did the same thing, and the truck battery started the Subaru perfectly.

5. Oct 28, 2014 at 8:17 PM
    Lester Lugnut

Lester Lugnut Well-Known Member

Member:
    N of Mex-S of Canada-E of LA-W of NC
    Vehicle:
    '15 Tacoma PreRunner V6 SR5 Auto
    You can do a lot of things with a voltmeter that could be helpful in your case.

If you are going to use it to check battery voltage - Open Circuit Voltage - OCV test - that will not help with knowing the batteries load potential.

Only a battery load tester will do that.

I've seen batteries read 12.70 and better and flunk a load test.

6. Oct 30, 2014 at 7:32 AM
    FishLorax

FishLorax [OP] Member

Member:
    Mi
    Vehicle:
    95 Tacoma ex cab 3.4l
    Cleaned the contacts at the battery, and checked a lot of things with that voltmeter. I had 12.7 at the battery. 12.7 at the fuse box. 12.7 at the starter. While holding the key in the start position the voltage drops out at the starter. tried jumping it from another car, and tried grounding it from the block to chassis with jumper cables. Tried the remote start. All with the same end result...just the loud click of the bendix engaging, no spin. Tried turning the engine over by hand, just out of curiosity, turns over fine.

7. Oct 30, 2014 at 8:35 PM
    o0oSHADOWo0o

o0oSHADOWo0o Just lurking in the darkness

Member:
    First Name:
    Shadow
    Va Beach
    Vehicle:
    2012 Double Cab Short Bed 4x4 TRD Sport
    Just a few LEDs...
    Well that eliminates the battery.

Make sure your starter has a good ground. The engine block should be grounded to the body/frame/negative battery terminal.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2014
  8. Oct 30, 2014 at 8:43 PM
    TXpro4X4

TXpro4X4 Fuck Cancer!

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryan
    Costa Mesa, CA
    Vehicle:
    2011 TOY
    Toy Stuff..... Faktor Amber lights on in the grill. Under front bumper led rock lighting. Center counsel c.b mod with under the hood p.a. Anytime foglight mod. R.G.B tape light for inside toekick lighting. Front and back. Front weathertech floor mats. De-Baged except TOY on tailgate. FJ style 6 speed shifter knob. Rubber tacoma bed mat. Trd exhaust. Trd 16in beadlocker style wheels. Electrical a/c 115volt plug/usb mod next to passenger knee. Fox 2.5 coilovers. Icon 2.0's in the rear. Rear locker any-time mod. Abs kill switch mod. All Pro ISF front skid Pelfrey built front differential skid Baja design pro pods Rigid pods CBI pods brackets Mobtown tailgate guard RIP Mobtown Caliraised rear amber pod lights CJ Jumper- map, running, amber fog, reverse, and license plate led bulbs Pedal Commander
    I know this is a shot in the dark but even if he's replaced the starter and the voltage meter says whatever it could still be a dead battery and he doesn't have the cranking amps necessary to turn the starter?

9. Oct 30, 2014 at 8:59 PM
    o0oSHADOWo0o

Member:
    First Name:
    Shadow
    Va Beach
    Vehicle:
    Just a few LEDs...
    True, but the OP says he switched batteries with another vehicle. The other vehicle started with the Tacoma's battery. but the Tacoma still didn't start with either battery.

10. Oct 30, 2014 at 9:17 PM
    skynet

skynet Well-Known Member

Member:
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    13 TRD Sport
    Scattered 12g shotgun shells in the bed to deter tweekers from stealing my stereo
    I would check the new starter more likely then not you have a bad starter still. Working at an unnnamed auto parts store for a couple years I've seen my share of "brand new" starters not work most of the time its the ones that come with those life time warrantys...

11. Oct 31, 2014 at 7:24 AM
    TXpro4X4

TXpro4X4 Fuck Cancer!

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryan
    Costa Mesa, CA
    Vehicle:
    2011 TOY
    Toy Stuff..... Faktor Amber lights on in the grill. Under front bumper led rock lighting. Center counsel c.b mod with under the hood p.a. Anytime foglight mod. R.G.B tape light for inside toekick lighting. Front and back. Front weathertech floor mats. De-Baged except TOY on tailgate. FJ style 6 speed shifter knob. Rubber tacoma bed mat. Trd exhaust. Trd 16in beadlocker style wheels. Electrical a/c 115volt plug/usb mod next to passenger knee. Fox 2.5 coilovers. Icon 2.0's in the rear. Rear locker any-time mod. Abs kill switch mod. All Pro ISF front skid Pelfrey built front differential skid Baja design pro pods Rigid pods CBI pods brackets Mobtown tailgate guard RIP Mobtown Caliraised rear amber pod lights CJ Jumper- map, running, amber fog, reverse, and license plate led bulbs Pedal Commander
    Danm missed that

12. Oct 31, 2014 at 7:38 AM
    Alby9999

Alby9999 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Alby
    NNJ
    Vehicle:
    07 AC TRD OR Impulse Red
    TRD Cat back exhaust 3" FR lift-AAL CAI-Ram air D rings Tail gate theft mod 4x4 illumination switch mod Redline hood struts Fogs on any time mod diff breather relocation mod 886 reverse light mod Wet Okole Avid weld on sliders LR UCAs Locker mod 115 in cab outlet 400w anytime
    you can hot wire the starter to the battery outside the truck. That'll tell you the starter is good. shorting the terminals on the starter while in the truck will tell you if you have a bad ignition switch.

13. Nov 21, 2014 at 11:23 AM
    FishLorax

FishLorax [OP] Member

Member:
    Mi
    Vehicle:
    95 Tacoma ex cab 3.4l
    Thanks for all of your help. I've been very busy and haven't had a chance to work on the truck until today. I installed a new cable from battery to starter, and to fuse box. The Tacoma started right up! Thanks again for all of your advice.

14. Nov 21, 2014 at 4:22 PM
    TXpro4X4

TXpro4X4 Fuck Cancer!

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryan
    Costa Mesa, CA
    Vehicle:
    2011 TOY
    Awesome

15. Nov 21, 2014 at 6:04 PM
    o0oSHADOWo0o

Member:
    First Name:
    Shadow
    Va Beach
    Vehicle:
    Just a few LEDs...
    Glad you finally got it up and running and glad we could help! :)

Products Discussed in

To Top