1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Every engine seal leaking!?!?

Discussion in 'Technical Chat' started by cmyersgo, Nov 4, 2014.

1. Nov 4, 2014 at 7:40 AM
    cmyersgo

cmyersgo [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Carter
    Queen Creek AZ
    Okay so I just purchased a truck from the deal that what I thought was a small oil leak and they agreed to fix the oil leak as part of my purchase agreement. So now that it's getting fixed I was told it was just the timing belt cover and that it would take all day. Then come to find out when they called me at the end of the day. The oil pan had a leak and some other seal on the engine. (Can remember what seal he said) the mechanic said once he is done entire engine will be re-sealed. Is this normal for a 2007 tacoma to have these kind of leaks at 150k? It's starting to make me a little nervous that it had so many leaks and I'm afraid the previous owner might have beat it up.

2. Nov 4, 2014 at 7:44 AM
    SnowroxKT

SnowroxKT Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kyle
    Anchorage Alaska
    Vehicle:
    '18 T4R & '06 F250
    6" lift 40s
    If they are fixing all the seals I wouldn't worry about it.

Normal? meh probably not. I have had an oil pan leak and a valve cover gasket leak before (on my old mk3 Jetta) can be as simple as a bolt coming a little loose.

3. Nov 4, 2014 at 7:44 AM
    92LandCruiser

92LandCruiser Well-Known Member

Member:
    Nevada
    Vehicle:
    80 series Land Cruiser
    Cummins, tons, 40s
    Not normal no. Maybe the tech figures if the dealers paying he will just find some things to fix.

4. Nov 4, 2014 at 7:48 AM
    hetkind

hetkind Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Howard
    Johnson City
    Vehicle:
    2011 SR5 Access Cab, white with Leer Cap
    bilstein set at 1.75, Racho 5000 rear with 4 leaf kit, floor mats, high lift jack, pull hook in hitch, bed rail corner braces, severe duty brake pads and devil horns on the grill....
    Not that unusual for those motors to leak a bit...or in this case, probably seep...perhaps it is time to visit the PCV system to verify full operation.

5. Nov 4, 2014 at 9:08 AM
    cmyersgo

Member:
    First Name:
    Carter
    Queen Creek AZ
    Okay well I think I might have them take a look at that. I don't know what PCV is. Not very knowledgeable on these trucks yet. Should I call the dealer and see if the mechanic can look at that for me?

6. Nov 4, 2014 at 11:56 AM
    hetkind

hetkind Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Howard
    Johnson City
    Vehicle:
    2011 SR5 Access Cab, white with Leer Cap
    bilstein set at 1.75, Racho 5000 rear with 4 leaf kit, floor mats, high lift jack, pull hook in hitch, bed rail corner braces, severe duty brake pads and devil horns on the grill....
    PVC...Positive Crankcase Ventilation, it is what recirculated the piston blow-by back into the intake. If the system is clogged, the overpressure can fail seals.

Howard

7. Nov 4, 2014 at 12:06 PM
    Htnswches

Htnswches Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    E
    Lost Angels
    Vehicle:
    2006 Precummer Tacoma
    310,000 and counting
    Front crank seal perhaps? I just noticed mine is leaking from there, 172K miles, never low on oil or does it leak a drops on my driveway

8. Nov 4, 2014 at 12:30 PM
    T@co_Pr3runn3r

T@co_Pr3runn3r XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Member:
    <----------------->
    Vehicle:
    08 RC Prerunner SR5
    My stupid 05 prerunner had to have it's crank, rr main, axle seals done and the dealer chased what they thought was timing cover leak 3 times before they decided to replace head gasket and then left the harmonic balancer bolt loose that I barely caught in time before it parted ways with the motor. Also had to have steering rack rebuilt on my dime since that wasn't part of the certified preowned drivetrain warranty and this all started around 50k not 150k. Needless to say I jumped ship and traded it in when I found my 08 RC Prerunner. None of that on this one and am way past where all the other crap happened on the other one. Not sure I would say 150k is not normal for leaks. I wish my 05 would've made it that long. All the dealer warranty work really hacked up brackets and wiring harness clips and such. They just break them to get them off and don't replace them. Shit was a mess and then they deny it like someone else did the "work".

9. Nov 4, 2014 at 8:47 PM
    cmyersgo

Member:
    First Name:
    Carter
    Queen Creek AZ
    Well finally got the truck back. They got it all fixed. I asked them about the pvc valve and he said that if it was that then it would have thrown an error code. I still think I might have another mechanic check it out though. I have a one year warranty on all the work they did. Hopefully it is all fixed.

10. Nov 4, 2014 at 8:48 PM
    cmyersgo

Member:
    First Name:
    Carter
    Queen Creek AZ
    That sucks dude. I hope mine isn't a lemon.

11. Nov 4, 2014 at 9:04 PM
    92LandCruiser

92LandCruiser Well-Known Member

Member:
    Nevada
    Vehicle:
    80 series Land Cruiser
    Cummins, tons, 40s
    Service writers are retarded... so are a lot of techs. :|

12. Nov 4, 2014 at 9:41 PM
    cmyersgo

Member:
    First Name:
    Carter
    Queen Creek AZ
    Well that's good to hear. I thought they were kind bs. Thanks for all the info! I might just have to tackle that one myself. Along with all new struts...

13. Nov 4, 2014 at 10:42 PM
    cmyersgo

Member:
    First Name:
    Carter
    Queen Creek AZ
    Well if that's the case I'd just have someone do all 4

14. Nov 5, 2014 at 2:54 AM
    T@co_Pr3runn3r

Member:
    <----------------->
    Vehicle:
    08 RC Prerunner SR5
    Yeah, the spring compressors from autozone were no go on the truck. They worked OK for my car but on the truck it was gonna be super sketchy and dangerous. It's just the 2 fronts on the truck, rear is just shock and leafs. You don't have to do anything on the rear just unbolt the shocks and remove, squish the new ones back in place and put the bolts back in bottom and nuts on top.

My advice, go stare under the hood and touch stuff and make sure all is back in place where it was before. Get a flashlight and lay down underneath and check everything out every few days to make sure it is really fixed.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2014
  15. Nov 5, 2014 at 3:15 AM
    T@co_Pr3runn3r

Member:
    <----------------->
    Vehicle:
    08 RC Prerunner SR5
    Well, it did have 50k on it when I got it so it had some history but still, the rest of the truck was not in any shape where it seemed abused enough for crap to be leaking. I gave the sluff off of the drip I saw on the bell housing the benefit of the doubt for a few days after they said it was from the oil change they did and then was right back using my drivetrain warranty telling them BS on the oil change, it is coming from rr main leaking. About a month later I pointed out the seeping axle seals and got blown off as normal and then a week later brought it back when it was slinging on the rims and they had to replace seals and rear pads because they had gotten soaked. Asked why it was they could not address my concerns when I brought them up instead of making it get catastophic before they will do anything. Blank look like deer before it gets hit by 18 wheeler is all I got. Typical dealer nonsense. A different one took 3 swings at stopping the head gasket leak and missed tightening the crank pulley bolt with a wrench. They got a big earful with a bunch of people there for service after I tightened that back up. They also sprayed cold water on the windshield and cracked it after pulling it from the hot ass lot to give it their little useless wash half ass detail when picking it up. They denied that was their doing too.

16. Nov 5, 2014 at 5:09 PM
    cmyersgo

Member:
    First Name:
    Carter
    Queen Creek AZ
    I think I will just pay someone to do it. Lol I've been looking online and have found a fee stock ones for sale for a good price!

Products Discussed in

To Top