Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Technical Chat

Notices

Bad rainstorm dead battery.

Old 10-22-2007, 08:55 AM   #1
kdawg is on a distinguished road
kdawg's Tacoma Gallery
Bad rainstorm dead battery.

We had a bad rainstorm on Friday night and the truck got pretty wet. Made it home OK but when I went to start the truck the next morning the battery was dead. Thinking the engine was soaked I let it sit in the sun a few hours to dry out and it started without a jump but just barely. Ran fine the next day but the idle was rough. Woke up this morning and battery was dead again this time I had to jump it. Started up quick with the jump. And diagnoses as to what is going on? I'd say I got water in my distributer but it doesn't have one. Anyone? Did my batter just happen to die at the same time as the rainstorm?
Old 10-22-2007, 09:07 AM   #2
Carolina Alliance Costal Div
2003greenbean has much to be proud of2003greenbean has much to be proud of2003greenbean has much to be proud of2003greenbean has much to be proud of2003greenbean has much to be proud of2003greenbean has much to be proud of2003greenbean has much to be proud of2003greenbean has much to be proud of2003greenbean has much to be proud of

2003greenbean's Tacoma Gallery
i think it is just the battery
Old 10-22-2007, 09:21 AM   #3
Born to Ride
TheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chicky Baby
TheMaster's Tacoma Gallery
If your battery is 5 years plus, I might say its your battery. But then, you could be your alternator too, not charging the battery.
Old 10-22-2007, 09:26 AM   #4
kdawg's Tacoma Gallery
Could the alternator just be wet or did it get ruined from the rain? It's been three days now. I've driven it quite a bit so I would think it would have dried out by now.
Old 10-22-2007, 09:34 AM   #5
Carolina Alliance Costal Div
2003greenbean has much to be proud of2003greenbean has much to be proud of2003greenbean has much to be proud of2003greenbean has much to be proud of2003greenbean has much to be proud of2003greenbean has much to be proud of2003greenbean has much to be proud of2003greenbean has much to be proud of2003greenbean has much to be proud of

2003greenbean's Tacoma Gallery
go to a parts store have them tested the do it for free
Old 10-22-2007, 09:40 AM   #6
My hair is all natural
lsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Hotdog
lsocoee's Tacoma Gallery
I'm leaning towards the battery. You might have a heavily corroded connection to your battery that would be causing some problems. Unscrew the leads and check to see how clean they are.

I have found that high humidity seems to cause either the battery or alternator to go out on my Saturns. I don't see why a Toyota would be any different, aside from Saturns being pieces of crap.
Old 10-22-2007, 09:53 AM   #7
kdawg's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by lsocoee View Post
I'm leaning towards the battery. You might have a heavily corroded connection to your battery that would be causing some problems. Unscrew the leads and check to see how clean they are.

I have found that high humidity seems to cause either the battery or alternator to go out on my Saturns. I don't see why a Toyota would be any different, aside from Saturns being pieces of crap.
When you say "Go out" do you mean like no good anymore? Or just not work when humid?
Old 10-22-2007, 10:07 AM   #8
My hair is all natural
lsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shed

lsocoee's Tacoma Gallery
They pack their bags and move into the dumpster.
Old 10-22-2007, 10:11 AM   #9
kdawg's Tacoma Gallery
Damn! Whats the best way to check the alternator?
Old 10-22-2007, 10:21 AM   #10
My hair is all natural

lsocoee's Tacoma Gallery
Go to AutoZone and ask them to check it. They can measure the output amperage.

I could be wrong on this, but I think that alternators are all or nothing. In other words, they don't partially work. If you have been driving around, then your alternator is working.

I still say, check your connections. If the battery posts are corroded, the AutoZone battery test will give you some screwy results.